Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of this fuel additive before? The blurb reckons it'll improve performance, economy and run cleaner. Any experiences with this stuff? :?: :idea: :? :?

http://www.broquet.com/

G

·
Nah! Never heard of it and wouldn't use it either. Bikes doing just fine on regular unleaded, and as I don't want to improve its performance I wont be spending any money on trying. (jees, I tight :oops: )

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cr4p website they've got.

These things have been around for years under various names, either as units to drop into the petrol tank or to go inline on the fuel pipe.

The idea is that as the fuel passes over the "wonder catalyst" pellets a small amount of tin is liberated into the petrol. This in theory acts in the same manner that lead used to do when we had proper petrol.
Does it work ?? Lead & petrol was blended in specific quantities, I would think that relying on the tin being washed out into the petrol would not give the same sort of mixture control.
There have always been many products on the market which claim economy and/or exhaust emission improvements; some now even look similar to Broquet. However as you will see from 'Broquet Story', the product was first developed in 1941 by a young RAF engineer by the name of Henry Broquet. Like many other important products developed during wartime, it was developed as a matter of urgency - and in the case of Broquet, it was to cure fuel quality related problems with aircraft engines.
I've heard this in the past, a small amount of tin helped with the poor quality fuel during the war. Modern engines designed to run on lead free with all its additives are possibly not going to benefit
After the war, Henry went on with the development of the product and eventually returned to the UK in 1986 to start manufacture. Following his death in 1989, the Company was re-named Broquet International Ltd. to honour Henry's work in developing the first fuel treatment catalyst. The Company remains privately owned and continues to manufacture and market only this one product - the Broquet fuel treatment catalyst.
Yep and as I said so do a lot of other people
works not only by promoting more efficient combustion but also removing, and then inhibiting the build-up of carbon deposits, waxes and gums that normally form in the combustion chamber. The overall result is significant reductions in exhaust emissions and fuel consumption, more power and less maintenance due to cleaner combustion components
Ok so in theory it provides a cleaner burn which will help in less build-up of crud, not sure about the removing bit, crud that is already there is surely just going to get baked on with heat and pressure. I remember decoking cylinder heads in the past, always had to scrape them clean.

Ok my two penny worth, I'll sit back and wait to be shot down in flames. :lol:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
it seems every year somone comes out with some miracle additive but none of them seem to make much difference other than hiking up the cost of running your steed :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Remember some stuff called "brouquet" yonks ago when I had a MG. Also used to advertise widely in the Civil Service Motoring Assoc magazine. Used to be loads of debate in there about the effectiveness of the product - some swore by it, others sceptical like the previous posts.

Last I heard they had been closed down by Trading Standards and/or advertising watchdog people for mis-selling. Nothing more to say really.

My personal view,if it was that easy then either one of the big Petrol companies would snap it up, or a big motor company would, ie why isn't it standard in every Ford in the world?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts