Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spitfires... are they there or not?

This fella has poured an awful lot of his own money into this project, so you'd like to think that they are.

IF, they are; I wonder how many, and how restorable they are? This is a country with monsoons and high humidity, so would they have rotted away?

How excited am I?

I wish Mr Cundall and the team, especially 92 year old Stanley Coombe from Eastbourne, who witnessed the Spitfires being buried, all the luck in the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiD3loHd1qY

Spitfire - AMAZING SOUND - YouTube

If that doesn't make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, you must be dead!!!

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing sound - and they stick music on it. Argh.

Actually, when I lived in Eastbourne, one year at the Airbourne show it was a really beautiful sunny evening, the sun had just started sinking into the sea, and over the top of Beachy Head came this polished bodied Spitfire that put on a spectacular show to some very moving classical music. I'm not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat, watching the spectacle of that aircraft perform, and seeing quite a few senior citizens with tears in their eyes. I'll never forget it.

That Spitfire pass is a classic!!!

:toothy3:

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
I listened to an interview with the son of the Guy who is searching for the spitfires and I really hope they find them and find them in good order!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
As someone who's lived in the country on and off for 10 years, I'm very interested in this story...

A few years ago I spoke to the then manager of Yangon(Mingaladon) airport, and he told us that someone was interested in digging up the airfield to find these Spits. However, he reckoned they were under what is now the main runway! He was fairly convinced that they were there and was enthusiastic about the project.
I've no reason to doubt him as I've known him for years; He used to come up to Bagan to check out our balloon operation every year, and is a true aviation freak(and ex MiG 29 combat pilot!)

I emailed one of the aviation history mags(Flypast?) asking if they were interested in publishing an article; They replied with a sneering comment of 'Oh, not that old chestnut again!' They'd heard rumours of this story for years previously and were very sceptical

Anyway, IF they are there, and IF they are under the runway, I can't see them digging up the only runway for 90% of international flights into the country! There is talk of a new airport, but that'll be years away, and with the sudden popularity of this country with the English speaking world(The german speakers have been coming for years...), the airport is busier than ever.

My other thought is that if the DO find 70 Spits, the market value of these is going to plummet. A hulk for restoration is in the region of a 1m, with a restored price of around 3m (if I remember correctly) at the moment, but flooding the market with this number, even if they're just hulks that can be used as a basis for restoration projects, is bound to drive the price down...

I'll be following this story closely:thumbright:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I literally can't wait for them to get confirmation and we can see a picture of what is down there.

After they find these ones in Burma perhaps they can get searching for the ones out in Queensland Australia :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
They've kept it quiet until now about Mytchina and Meiktila...

These sites are much more likely to be excavated. Both are firther north and aren't used for international flights. However Meiktila is a very busy MiG and heli base. In fact it's actually 2 airfields with overlapping circuits. Having been unofficially to this base, I can say that the base commander is very aviation minded and probably well up for this adventure. There was a Dakota and a Spit preserved outside when I was there...

Mytchina is much further north and up in the hills. Used mainly for internal flights and by the military, and as a staging point for flights up to Putao in the Himalayas.

They're now talking of 120 aircraft, but also of the holes being flooded by muddy water...interesting...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts