Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola! mY '04 TA backfires and pops when I let off the throttle. Just just started. This winter I rebuilt the vacuum actuated fuel valve and I installed a Scotoiler for the rear chain. Both of these pull vacuum from the nipple on the rear cylinder inlet.

The bike never backfired before I installed these two items. Could this be the reason why it is doing this? Could I have rebuilt the fuel valve wrong allowing an air leak? Is the Scotoiler the culprit? Please let me know if you have heard of this and the fix. Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome!

It seems unlikely that the work you have done is directly responsible for backfiring - a little bit of extra air on the inlet wouldn't cause that unless you'd introduced a really bad air leak on one cylinder and the cylinders were therefore out of balance (badly). But the 650 runs pretty rich as standard - allow a bit of air into the exhaust and it will pop as the fuel in the hot exhaust gasses gets access to oxygen from the air. So my guess would be that you have a leak/hole somewhere in the exhaust.

It's worth checking the exhaust but also the vacuum tubing for the Scottoiler just to be sure. But normally a slight leak on the inlet side would cause rough running at idle which you'd probably notice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts