Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've just acquired this exhaust for my RD07a and noticed that the bracket is different from the one currently on the bike.

On the new one the rear bracket is much longer, I'm guessing to fit directly to the rear subframe.

9FCD.jpg

The original one looked like this below (not mine - web image). Much shorter and requires an additional triangular bracket
(2-off M8 bolts to subframe and lower one to exhaust).

image.jpg

My frame is off with the powdercoaters right now so I thought I'd ask if anyone know if the new exhaust will fit and RD07a?
Did Honda change the design at some point?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lee I guess I did not know it was pre RD07a beforehand.
Yep restoration underway - I'm one year in of a 2 year project.

The original exhaust had some surface rust but came up quite well (still got it BTW). The new one is immaculate and must have been removed early
in life for an aftermarket.
Keeping the bike as standard as possible so has to be OEM silencer .. and right.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It looks like there are more and more Africa Twins being restored ;-)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There sure are. Like most owners, I discovered that underneath a healthy exterior there was a rusty
frame lurking. Mine's a 2001 - I've seen 2003 in same shape. Only solution is a total stripdown.

AT1Img_3496.jpg

This is unlike previous Honda's I've owned and like others I put it down in part to bad paint process.
Rear sections of my frame showed no evidence of etching - steel was like new.
Also after removing the lower subframe to get the engine out, I noticed the lack of base coat underneath.
In addition, one could see the how thin the silver base coat is - no edge between base and primer.
This suggests that Mr Honda sprayed the frame with subframe in place and went easy on #coats - rather shoddy I think.
Wonder if this is just my bike or has anyone else seen this during a restoration?

AT2 Img_3535.jpg

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The rear of the frame is very often rusted. Once my frame will be powder coated, I will spray cavity wax inside the square tubes and will fit 3/4" square plastic plugs.

After two coats of paint stripper. ;-) You can see the square ends where the plugs will go.

Not to mention the two small vertical tubes at the rear of the subframe. I had to cut one of them and weld a new one.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those plugs are a great idea
Thankfully those short tubes on my frame were sound

·
Registered
525 Posts
I do believe "loggy" of this forum has an "as new" silencer for an 07a which he is selling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts