Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some problems with my rear brake staying on so cleaned up the caliper no issue there, I thought the trip across the sands at Piel would have pitted the cylinder. The issue is on the brake pedal, it is not freely moving, I have to lift it with my foot after using. So took off the exhaust to get better access and found the below.

Is their anything I should do I remember from the dark and distant past a exhaust bandage.

Also still not fixed the brake pedal any thought????

Cheers

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
That exhaust is pretty terminal i would say .. dont think you will be able to bodge that .. as its at the clamp ..

I would be looking for a second hand exhaust or new .. try fuel like mine. quite cheap really and good quality .
Fuel Exhausts | Motor Cycle Exhausts | Motor Cycle Exhausts

As the connecting pipe from the cat is stainless (looks from picture ok) you might need a gasket depending on condition.. difficult to tell.

item 15 is the connecting gasket..
You will need this if you buy a new fuel or secondhand exhaust .

For the brake pedal , either remove (probably rusted inside ) or try to work some wd40 in there ..

keep us posted ..

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi there Alba... would have to agree that your exhaust looks a bit fooked there... now for the good bit... I have a spare can taken off my Alp when I changed my exhaust for a custom one (piccie below).

If you want it then it's available for sale, (as the misses is gettin fed up of all the spare parts I have cluttering up the house).

How does £60 + P&P sound :confused: (will have to get back to you with the P&P as it's quite heavy so will have to find out...)

Titch.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Fuel exhausts are about £130 and get good reports and look good. If I hadn't wasted my money on a GPR exhaust that's what I would get. As far as I am aware most aftermarket cans won't need the gasket to seal the joint. If they do they aren't much and David silvers has them.

On the brake pedal, I had exactly the same symptoms as you a while back. I fiddled around for ages getting a split pin out to get at the pivot only to realise later that the whole footrest hanger comes off and would make access to the pivot a doddle. After a good clean up and grease it's been fine.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Titch, just returned home so now need to decide what to do. I'll PM you later if that's ok.

Austin, footrest hanger ??? need to head to the garage to have a butchers...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the brake pedal, I had exactly the same symptoms as you a while back. I fiddled around for ages getting a split pin out to get at the pivot only to realise later that the whole footrest hanger comes off and would make access to the pivot a doddle. After a good clean up and grease it's been fine.

Good luck
Austin i would appreciate some more info had a bash last night and failed big time. I cannot get good access to the bolt or the pivot pin struggling with this.

Cheers

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
I will have to remind myself how I did it - will have look later. But I really struggled with the pivot too until someone on here said the fottrest hanger/ heel plate thing comes off much more easily than it first appears and then access is straightforward. I had done it by then so didn't actually remove the plate.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Austin, used a slightly different method and it is currently in bits in the garage, reassemble tomorrow. What a pain in the a## job.

To the beach knowing 50% there :thumbup:

Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts