Honda XRV Forum banner

Exporting to the USA

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  HelmetHair 
#1 ·
Tried searching the forum, as I think this has had some coverage before...
But
Is there a way to export the @ to the USA? Or for that matter any other bike not originally sold there? Anyone done it? HOW!!??
Any help appreciated, am going round in circles trying to figure it out!

#2 ·
HH

I believe the US Law on importing is a Federal one, yet the laws regarding Registering (for the road) your exported AT would be State Laws.

You're right, I've seen something on here in the past with US members wishing to Import AT's from Europe.

I seem to remember that as the AT was never an official bike in the US, nobody recognises it, and the law on whether it complies with US legal/road test/emissions is the awkward part. I seem to remember that those people that eventually got them into the US, MAY ve done it by registering the bike as something else, OR just registering it on chassis number alone.

Hopefully someone will be along to offer more soon, but give us the jist of what you're trying to do. Is this a one-off, a business idea, or are you moving out there?

Bob

#3 ·
Thanks for the info so far! interesting idea re the chassis number..
I am moving out there, and want to take 2 bikes with me, neither oif which were sold there and they are not of special scientific interest either!

#4 ·
#5 ·
I know that in order to import an Africa Twin into Canada it has to be 15 years old...or older. Amazing how many right hand drive vehicles that are popping up over here. Their is a huge Nissan Skyline Club here now which are one of the more popular cars. http://www.japaneseusedcar.ca/
Some people claim their is a safety issue with all these RHD vehicles mixed in with the LHD vehicles. And now Transport Canada is thinking of changing the rule to 25 years or older to curb the influx.
With our strong Canadian dollar over the US dollar you find that many people are shopping cross border for cars and motorcycles...new and used. So, providing they meet the North American criteria they don't necessarily have to be 15 yrs old.

So, if you see a real beauty of a '93 Africa Twin (black and silver :p ) coming up for sale in your town in 2008...lemme know. :)
The AT had a pretty good makeover in '93 too. Finders fee could include a
Canadian Rockies tour for someone...on a m'cycle. :D

#6 ·
You might find it helpful to have a look on advrider. This seems to be discussed a lot there as most of the members seem to be based in the US and a lot of them drool over Africa Twins but can't get hold of them because they were never officially sold in the US (some of them have even gone to the trouble of buying transalps then converting them into africa twins by buying and replacing parts - there's a guy on this forum who did that).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154804&highlight=import+africa+twin

might be a good starting point as it leads to another couple of threads but if you do a search you'll probably find many more (written from the point of view of someone in the US trying to import rather than the other way around but much of the info will still be relevant I expect).

There'll be tips there about importing the bike then registering it. If you can manage it, It might be worth thinking about taking extra bike in if you can then sell it when you arrive. Even old bikes seem to make a good price over there as they're so rare. You might find it a bit easier being a foreigner taking the bike in rather than a US citizen trying to import.

#7 ·
as it has been said before here importing a bike to canada is very easy if the bike is 15 years old or older. it is easy but very expensive. 2 years ago i imported a 1982 CB1100RC from england to canada. and this winter i hope to import an AFRICA TWIN from germany. unless you really want that bike don't bother. the cost of the actual bike is the cheapest part .shipping , shipping agent fees, custom fees, bonded transport fees will easily surpass the price of the bike. if you are thinking of getting 2 and then selling 1 GOOD LUCK.
MY BIKE TURNED OUT TO BE IN VERY POOR SHAPE. I WAS SO ANGRY THAT I DIDN'T EVEN TOUCH IT FOR 2 WEEKS. IT SAT IN MY DRIVEWAY AND AFTER 2 WEEKS I HIT THE STARTER BUTTOM AND IT FIRED FIRST TIME ( IT CAME WITH SOME GAS IN IT). now when i ride it ,even though it looks like hell ,it gives me great pleasure to know that at that momment there is maybe 1000 guys in the world riding a CB1100R nad maybe only 4 in canada. beeing unique has it's price.

#8 ·
Hello Fee, That sucks that the bike you bought did not meet your expectations. Buying sight unseen has it's risks I suppose.
Do you have any links to a German m'cycle (classifieds) or marketplace web site? What year of AT are you after?
Cheers.

#9 ·
believe it or not i really like THE RDO3 OF 1988 ( I THINK) the 650 always looked good to me. but because it will not get here 'till 2008 i can now get a RD07. IT WON'T MATTER TO ME THE YEARS WHAT I WANT IS THE BEST ,LOW MILEAGE, MOST "FARKLED UP" BIKE THAT I CAN GET . if i can't get one by spring then it will be a brand new VARADERO 1000. BY THE WAY YOU HAVE 2 GREAT BIKES I WILL BUY A NICE GS1000PD if i can find one. there are a couple of them for sale on the ADVRIDER site but they are too far for me. i would never get the later AFRICA TWIN that was made in spain ( i know the varadero is made there now) i hear a lot of cheap quality complains from the spanish factory. i think that an early rd07 would be great bike ,by then the 'BUGS "( if there was ever any with the AT ) were worked out.
don't feel too bad about the CB1100RC it's still a great unique honda and that's what i wanted. i think there is only 6 in canada and maybe another 10 or 12 in the usa. you got your AT from a german guy that crashed it while touring canada,right?? i live close to the transcanada highway and see lot's of unique euro bikes and trucks coming through here .

fee

#11 ·
believe it or not i really like THE RDO3 OF 1988 ( I THINK) the 650 always looked good to me. but because it will not get here 'till 2008 i can now get a RD07. IT WON'T MATTER TO ME THE YEARS WHAT I WANT IS THE BEST ,LOW MILEAGE, MOST "FARKLED UP" BIKE THAT I CAN GET . if i can't get one by spring then it will be a brand new VARADERO 1000. BY THE WAY YOU HAVE 2 GREAT BIKES I WILL BUY A NICE GS1000PD if i can find one. there are a couple of them for sale on the ADVRIDER site but they are too far for me. i would never get the later AFRICA TWIN that was made in spain ( i know the varadero is made there now) i hear a lot of cheap quality complains from the spanish factory. i think that an early rd07 would be great bike ,by then the 'BUGS "( if there was ever any with the AT ) were worked out.
don't feel too bad about the CB1100RC it's still a great unique honda and that's what i wanted. i think there is only 6 in canada and maybe another 10 or 12 in the usa. you got your AT from a german guy that crashed it while touring canada,right?? i live close to the transcanada highway and see lot's of unique euro bikes and trucks coming through here .

fee
I thought all AT's where made in Japan. :confused: My '99 is. GSPD's come up quite often in the USA and the occasional gem too. With our strong $ it's worth it IMO. Fly down...drive it home.
Yeah, a German rider put it in the ditch on the Stewart/Cassiar hwy in Northern BC. He was ok but shaken up a bit. It went to a good home..believe me. :D

#12 ·
i think the very last RD07A were made in spain and i have read that it was not quite the same quality as the one made in japan . ( i could be wrong) i have no problem going to get one in the usa but not 'till next may .we have snow on the ground already

fee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.