Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for this but found no replies as such

My Gasgas only has a small tank 9l and in the next couple of months i am going to buy it a large capacity tank which will gain just over a gallon. I am however thinking that this will probably be not big enough for road trials next year.
Does anybody have any experience of using the MSR camping fuel bottles or similar as an emergency fuel ststem just thinking i could get a couple fill them up with petrol and leave them in my rucksack to give a couple extra litres for emergency.

Any advice??

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I would carry them in a bag strapped to the bike somewhere. I know difficult on a trials bike but I wouldn't fancy having petrol in a rucksack. I know two 1 litre bottles will just fit into a kriega us5 with the inner removed. You should be able get a us5 fitted somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would carry them in a bag strapped to the bike somewhere. I know difficult on a trials bike but I wouldn't fancy having petrol in a rucksack. I know two 1 litre bottles will just fit into a kriega us5 with the inner removed. You should be able get a us5 fitted somewhere.

i GOT A kREIGA 5 screwed to my front mudguard,i keep a gas pump in there and spare tube's it's more an issue of the bottle's i'm concerned about. What i need i some container like the MSR fuel bottles that someone has used and knows that they are safe to carry petrol in. I know the camping bottle are designed for meths and cooking fuels but i'm not sure if they are safe for petrol

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
If you are going to buy something try the Trangia fuel bottles. Plastic and a safety top. I have used them for petrol and know them to be ok.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Hi Jason , When I had the XR650r it had a small OME tank I always carried 3 One LItre alloy fuel bottles similar to MSR bottles but free, saved my bacon several times, especially in the forests.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Hein Gericke/ Touratech do 2 & 3 ltr dedicated fuel cans - gotta be better than pi$$ing around with several 1ltr bottles....
There's obviously the usual 5ltr ones or search for the Acrebis fuel tank, I think they are 8ltr & designed to be mounted to the bike & plumbed in to the fuel system so no need to stop & transfer fuel, I think they also do some smaller ones for trail bikes designed to strap to the rear fender - just chucking in a few alternative ideas???

Phil
Phil

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367140551.395454.jpg

As you can see two of the bottles attached to the out side of my rucksack, every time I tried strapping to bike they fell off. Never had safety problems even with a few off's the three bottles worked.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a 1ltr MSR bottle for my stove and have only carried petrol in it, with no issues but haven't been anywhere with the temp/sun exceeding high 20's

·
Registered
1,964 Posts

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These will hold the 1 litre size if you can mount them on the bike.
View attachment 23421
The came up on Saturday when i did a google search but i've out ruled them at the moment due to the fact the prices seemed to expensive

Jason, you'd better think about buying my old XL600LM with its 27 litre tank;)
No, had enough of big Honda thumpers with my Xr, loved the bike, loved riding it but by god i'm glad to see the back of it

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Ex seagoing truck driver
357 Posts
The fuel bottles (whatever the label they're basically the same) often come up secondhand on ebay. I bought several that way a few months ago, just slight scratches about a fiver each.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fuel bottles (whatever the label they're basically the same) often come up secondhand on ebay. I bought several that way a few months ago, just slight scratches about a fiver each.
Might be worth watching for them then, thanks for that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts