Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone!!

Im after extra lighting for the winter, has anyone put spots on their bike??? If so which ones can you recommend? Pictures would be great!

Thank you Very Much!!

Best wishes
Mat:thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I haven't got spots, but when my headlamp bulb failed I replaced it with an extra bright one from Halfords - costs a couple of quid(?) more than the standard bulb, but straight replacement with no modifications necessary. I haven't been out for a proper ride in the dark since then, but just riding around in daylight and at dusk it looks much brighter, whiter and more clearly defined at the edge of the beam than the standard bulb.

I have heard it said that these bulbs may not last as long as the standard bulbs, but have no evidence on this (mine's now been in about 6 weeks and a maybe a thousand miles). (As I usually carry spare bulbs with me, and having worked out how to change the headlamp bulb once I'm sure I can do it next time in about 10 minutes, it doesn't worry me much.) I will certainly replace it when/if it does goes with another the same premium type, and see how it goes over a long period of time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey,

Well that was my first point of call! Went to halfords and got a 'super bright' bulb £25 it cost. Dipped is much better but main is crap, but great if I hold the flasher button in??? I do a lot of country riding so I need a really good main beam so spots it is, also it helps to be seen!!

Thanks for the post!

Mat

·
Registered
283 Posts
Note the Transalp generator has only limited power available above the standard lights, and from previous threads it appears that there is only enough power for continuous use of one, not two, standard power spots, or two if you put lower rated bulbs in.

If you haven't already, try using the search facility, or rummage through the Transalp threads by eye, and you will probably find a number of threads about spots and power capacity for them.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Look for the LED driving lights, they use less power so the TA has a better chance of keeping up with the power requirements.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Note the Transalp generator has only limited power available above the standard lights, and from previous threads it appears that there is only enough power for continuous use of one, not two, standard power spots, or two if you put lower rated bulbs in.

If you haven't already, try using the search facility, or rummage through the Transalp threads by eye, and you will probably find a number of threads about spots and power capacity for them.
The TA alternator has plenty of spare capacity (at least the 650 does). I ran two 55w spots and heated grips throughout winter no problem.

I think the max alternator output is around 375watts. Normal running uses less than 200watts so there's plenty spare as long the revs are up. Around town could see a drain on the battery.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The TA alternator has plenty of spare capacity (at least the 650 does). I ran two 55w spots and heated grips throughout winter no problem.

I think the max alternator output is around 375watts. Normal running uses less than 200watts so there's plenty spare as long the revs are up. Around town could see a drain on the battery.
I stand (well, sit down actually) corrected.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Go for a HID conversion well worth the money makes a HUGE difference :happy9:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Go for a HID conversion well worth the money makes a HUGE difference :happy9:
The HUGE difference being instead of you crashing into them because you can't see where you're going, they crash into you because they can't see where they're going!

·
Hill Rider
3,105 Posts
PIAA Ultra Bright Lights with 35w bulbs (as standard) fitted to my '91 Alp . . .

I previously used 55w bulbs in another type of PIAA lights without any charging problem.

I've recently moved the lights down to where the indicators were located, just to change he look.

Steve T

:cool:

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Take a look at this thread: http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/42337-ring-luminator-3-spots-experiences.html you will find my post in here with pics of the spots fitted to mine.

It did seem to spark a bit of a discussion about how much current drawn etc, but I have never had any problems with them, and the wiring is fine and has no problems.

My spots where purchased from Ebay for about £20, and I upgraded the bulbs to 100w bulbs in each, and alongside this upgraded the fuse to a 20amp. The spots are wired through the supplied 'Ring' Wiring kit which includes a relay.

As for the comments about the lack of output from the alternator, I will describe what I have fitted to mine..
1) Oxford heated grips
2) 12v power socket, usually powers my sat nav
3) Full remote control LED accent light system
4) Flashing LED hazard light system (separate to the normal indicators)
5) 2 x Spot lights (100w bulbs in each)
6) Oxford optimate 'Fly lead' which I use to power a second 12v power socket I carry in my tool tube.

All this fitted to a '88 Alp which runs fine, starts on the first touch of the start button, mainly does round town riding with the occasional bit of m/way blasting. Standard battery fitted, and all thorughout winter have never had a problem with it not starting, or the battery going flat.

I will say that I dont have all the accesories running at once, but general use of the accent lights, and through winter the heated grips get pretty constant use with use of the spots in the evening's.

Hope this sheds some light on some options for you (and yes... pun was intended...;);))

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
The HUGE difference being instead of you crashing into them because you can't see where you're going, they crash into you because they can't see where they're going!
On the 650 the HID does not blind oncoming vehicles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome

Thanks Guys for your info, gives me plenty to think about!!!

Steve T where did you get your PIAA Ultra Bright Lights from?

Many thanks again

Mat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts