Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the inteest of higher visability....has anyone fitted extra lights to their TA? Was thinking of a pair of small spotlights mounted on the crash bars.....Any recommendations

Cheers
Gerry

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
ger said:
In the inteest of higher visability....has anyone fitted extra lights to their TA? Was thinking of a pair of small spotlights mounted on the crash bars.....Any recommendations

Cheers
Gerry
I have done it - some cheapo "ring" foglights from halfords came complete with switch, relay and wiring and instructions. Fitted to crash bars as well using jubilee clips :oops:. Only prob is the wiring supplied is long enough for a car fitment and I have yards of it wrapped round frame and crash bars. Switch is mounted with double adhesive pad to side of brake master cylinder and relay is hidden under the screen/clock surround. I have heated grips and they share the power supply for those but are switched to only come on with the lights. The units also have an LED but that feature is a waste of time.

In terms of lighting up the road not a lot of difference as fog lights only illuminate 10-20yards in front, but in terms of visibility I think they are unbeatable. I am sure some drivers think I am a police bike the way they move over almost in a panic. :D

So far no pwer or elctrical problems, but the heated grips aren't as hot with the foglights on. :cry:

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
ger said:

Cheers
Gerry
After meeting up with Austin in Hawes yesterday and hm following me to Richmond, there is no doubt that the bike is much more noticable with spot lights on, stick a pair of alloy panniers on I reckon he'll have artic's swerving out of the way!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a quick look around my local Halfrauds today....Did'nt see any lights at all....Maybe need to look at a larger branch..

Did find an oil filter though ! 6.29 bargain.

Any pics Austin?

Cheers
Gerry

·
Registered
542 Posts
Saw a GS with these things on (or maybe the Touratech ones???) the other day when driving in the car, scared the bejesus out of me, very tempted to add them to my bike now.

·
Hill Rider
3,105 Posts
PIAA

I have put a pair of 55w PIAA Bright White lights onto my TA, mounted under the headlight directly to fairing, and they sure do get you noticed.
Out put from alternator / regulator doesn't seem to differ to much with them on and they've been running now for the past 4 months with no degrading of battery output.
Keen to move them further outboard as per lights that are crashbar mounted - just to get me seen even more. Tempted to make up brackets that go onto side of fairing - sounds like a winter project to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Austin,

Was in HAlfords today, few different choices.....What ones did you go for ?? The bluish, oval ones with the wiring kit?? (around 40 quids)

How did you switch them?? Is it a waterproof switch?

Sorry for all the Q's !

Cheers
Gerry

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
I had two 55w spot lights on my previous Transalp. First I mounted them to my engine bars but the vibes kept blowing the bulbs. I re-mounted them on my front fairing and that seemed to solve the 'blowing bulbs' issue. I ran mine through a relay. Switched the relay by taking from the high beam wire so they only came on with high beam. Ran all the earths back to the battery negative. I have a wiring diagram if you need it.

rob
ps. they were bloody marvelous. must get round to fitting them to my current Transalp.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
ger said:
Hi Austin,

Was in HAlfords today, few different choices.....What ones did you go for ?? The bluish, oval ones with the wiring kit?? (around 40 quids)

How did you switch them?? Is it a waterproof switch?

Sorry for all the Q's !

Cheers
Gerry
The one's I bought were"Ring LED CRruise Lights". Came in a bright green pack. Complete with switch, relay pre made connections and enough wire to fit to a 40foot artic. They may have been on offer as they were by far the cheapest. Any of the range of small fog lights would do, but I would go for a complete set as I did and with wiring instructions. Do a google search on Ring LED CRruise Lights and you will find them.

Switch came with the kit - I just followed wiring instructions in the kit and it has all been OK so far and I have been some torrential rain.

To try and keep the vibes from the bulbs I cable tied a couple of turns of old mountain bike inner tube to the crash bars, then threaded an opened up jubilee clip through the mounts on the lamps, wrapped the bar/inner tube and tightened up. I have had one bulb blow in about 10,000 miles but that is due to a cracked lens letting water in - may need some new lamps and think of a way of getting a lens guard fitted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can you give me a quick clue .. I've no wiring diagram.. wiring colour for feed for the main beam on a Transalp 2005... dipped would also be helpful.

·
Brrrummm!
317 Posts
Morris,

For some more information please see/search 'Auxiliary Lights - Question' in this Forum.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
What about a higher colour temperature xenon lamp, loads on ebay. I think you need a H4

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just brought a H4 replacment bulb from halfords - the road legal ones in a red box called 'extreme brilliance' or summet along them lines....it has a little blue tip to the bulb and im well impressed with it, highly recommended!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just brought a H4 replacment bulb from halfords - the road legal ones in a red box called 'extreme brilliance' or summet along them lines....it has a little blue tip to the bulb and im well impressed with it, highly recommended!
Forgot to ask, has anyone mounted any LED's to the front of the bike to aid being seen?...like them new Audi's.....they dont to anything for extra vision but surly they'll you get seen...im toying with the idea before the on-set of winter commuting....

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Here's mine, all brought from halfords, the strip lights on the hand guards, and the ones under the headlight are wired to come with dipped beam, and the ones on the crash bars with main beam.They all came from Halfords, so far so good, the amount of car driver that pull over when I am passing :thumbright: Be seen be safe, hope this helps, Mr Raven, I think, quite likes me set up ? ;) Sorry cant help with wiring diagram, as I got my friendly bike shop to fit. Cheers Grumps

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seen this threat a few weeks ago and it inspired me to fit some spots to bike, got some Ring spots with quick wire kit. Couple of weeks ago I fitted them and after a few hours work was pleased with my work. Took live feed from headlight fuse to relay, and fitted rocker switch under seat as an option to turn on/off. Switch on ignition spots come on, last week following car seen reflection in rear of car and spots not on. After investigation i have found that turn on ignition spots come on, start bike spots go off! I have checked voltage and when I start the bike the voltage dips from 12v to 11v a fraction of a second but comes back up to 12v. Do I have a dodge relay that cuts with voltage dip but does not come back on when voltage goes back to 12v?

·
Hill Rider
3,105 Posts
Here's what my TA looks like with the PIAA 35w Ultrabrite lamps plus some PIAA "blueish" LED lights mounted above them on home made brackets that use the front fairing mounting screws for securing to bike. I had to make a small hole in the fairing for the cables to run through.

What with the lights and the white front end paint scheme, cars just melt away in front of me with this set up.:D

Steve T

:cool:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts