Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have experience with the kick starter firing back up trying to break your leg on a xr600?

and anyone know the causes of this?

i have had a fresh engine rebuild and had it running before briefly to pump oil round it and all was ok

but starting again after i had some crazy kickback and nearly popped my knee out :thumbup:

think maybe the throttle cable was pinched, but have checked since and seem ok

so any ideas????

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hehehehe I think it's the 600cc single cylinder some rotter has put in the bike. :D

i have never had it kick back at me like this though

guess i will give it another wack and see what happens :teeth:

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
i wish it did just the original kicker!
Oh dear! you'd better buy some shin guards then :D

Naw, I love kick starts but it is nice to have the option of the electric one sometimes.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
The Yam XT500 was notorious for the same thing, & i'm sure that it was attributed to the high compression. Maybe with the newly rebuilt engine this is how a new bike would be.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ive had the kick back on my 250, obviously nowhere near as nasty as the 600, I found the cause to be excess fuel in the cylinder/exhaust after I had been kicking it a few times with the choke on or when its warmed up and when its fired the hot gasses ignite in the cylinder and exhaust causing a bit of a back fire and a kick back.
I now, if it doesnt start after the third kick use the decompressor a few times to clear out the unburnt fuel then start again and she fires up with no dramas, hope this helps you with your problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Never had it on my 89 XR600 but my BSA Gold Star does it if I advance the timing too far, I'd look at your timing and see if you have it too far advanced, even a smidge out will cause some kick back.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
Never had it on my 89 XR600 but my BSA Gold Star does it if I advance the timing too far, I'd look at your timing and see if you have it too far advanced, even a smidge out will cause some kick back.
Yes! I have a lawnmower that does that, and I do believe the timing is off on it, but engines do sometimes just do this for no reason.

·
Now on a BMW R1100RS.
952 Posts
i expect you have a de-compresion cable fitted,if so make sure it's adjusted properly.
I don't know about the XR; but the Dominator and SLR650 with RFVC engines have an 'auto-decompressor' built into one of the exhaust valve systems which operates below (roughly) 600rpm to help with starting.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
It should have a decompression lever on each of the two exhaust valves,
One auto, from the kick-start quadrant,
and one manual from a wee lever on the left near the clutch,

if its anything like my 600DR....

Starting sequence..

From cold
Ignition off
Fuel on
Choke out
Manual decompressor lever in and held in....
With the lever held in the exhausted valve will be held open a wee bit so no compression

Kick the bike over a few times to prime everything
Ignition off
Manual depression lever in until it clicks on
Gently depress the kick-start until the lever clicks out... piston is now in the right position.
Return kick-start to start position

Ignition on .. chocks away

Full blow convincing kick down and through on the kick-start like you mean it.. Show no fear else it will bite ya...

DR600 fires up first time...... ( must use it more )

From hot..
just click the manual decompression lever in and turn over the engine ***8216;til it clicks out, then full on boot.. nae probs

It you flood it ( i.e. drop it on it side so that the carb flood the combustion chamber ).

Ignition off , full throttle and hold the decompression lever in and kick the engine over a good few times to dry it out..

simples

1 - 15 of 15 Posts