Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You wouldn't believe it, but late last night (about 12.30am) I was just starting to doze off whilst watching Blade in bed, when in a half comatose condition I slid my hand up my pillow only for my finger to feel a sharp pain. I quickly drew it back thinking I'd caught a hair in the fabric of the pillow or something and started to suck on it expecting the pain to subside. But no, the pain actually grew and GREW. I kept looking at it to see if I'd ripped the skin or something, but nope, no sign of anything. :?: Puzzled and still in agony I kept sucking whilst occasionally inspecting it in the darkness. As I was doing so, something.... MOVED fast across the pillow in the corner of my eye right next to me! :shock: As you can most probably imagine a cold streak of terror shot down my spine and I lept out of bed and made for the bedroom light switch. What did I find? A freakin'.... HORNET of approx 1in long was buzzing on the pillow right next to where my head was a few seconds before!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Then, after its walk across my pillow it took to the air and with a low buzz it started to dive bomb me!!! :shock: In the end I managed to kill the thing with some insect killer, but you should have seen my hand after just one sting! It went bright red and started to bloat. And the pain? Let's just say it felt like I'd just been shot in the finger, and the pain shot from my finger all through my hand and right up my arm! Even now my finger hurts pretty bad. But I ask you, in January, where the hell did the thing come from?! Needless to say, all I dreamt about last night were flying bugs!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sounds like it might have been a Queen, :?

·
Registered
459 Posts
The same thing happened to my Wife just before christmas but luckily it didn`t sting her ( she`s so poisiones the hornet would have died ) .
We think it came from the attic when we opened the hatch to get the decorations out and made it`s way to the bed because of the warmth ( heated water bed ).But we know they hibernate in the attic cause we have seen a few up there before.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
'kinell mate. I'm not coming down Exeter way!!!

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaveS said:
'kinell mate. I'm not coming down Exeter way!!!
You're not just whistlin' Dixie mate, 'cause even my brother had the chills so bad after seeing my hand that he was afraid to go to bed last night, just in case there were more of 'em! :shock:

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Trickster said:
it started to dive bomb me!!! :shock: In the end I managed to kill the thing with some insect killer,
Thanks for the warning! My insect killer is normally kept downstairs by the backdoor- keeping it under the pillow was a great idea! (joke). As MacP says - the loft is favourite. We had cluster flies nesting last year which wasn't pretty.

Sleep well.........HA HA HARRR! :twisted: (in Count Dracula voice).

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
I got rentokill in to check mine after seeing loads of the little buggers flying in and out of my roof last year, the man came down saying I'm not going in there, he set off a smoke bomb and told me to stay out of my house for 8 hours. Had to go to the pub while I waited (hic!!! :p )

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why is it that I find things like that on the pillow next to me rather than Liv Tyler? :cry:

M

·
0 Posts
ouch !

Just thought a quick explanation about why you see them now (hornets etc.etc.) Because the climates changing and the weather is getting warmer it changes their life pattern. The warmer it is the longer they will be out and about and if it stay warm they will not hibernate. The May Fly only lives durring the month of May, not now, due to the warmer weather we have seen these flies in June and July, a first for many thousands of years so it just goes to show, the warm weather can effect all.. :x :x

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
watch your back trickster it could have been planted by the (ANTI PIMP YOUR @ GROUP) :twisted: :lol: :lol:

i had a similar exsperience about ten years ago . woke up to feel somthing crawling across my fourhead went to brush it away and the bastard stung me right between the eyes :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
my looks have never been the same since :lol: it looked like someone planted an egg under the skin :lol:

the only thing i could find to hand to kill the nasty bastard was a thinlizzy album on the side and bloody broke that as well :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: i bloody hate insects :twisted:

hope your pinky gets better mate :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chad said:
watch your back trickster it could have been planted by the (ANTI PIMP YOUR @ GROUP) :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Pimp?! Nooo, I'm not that vulgar. I'm simply turning it into a custom (as in "customising", not custom as in Hog) bike. 8)

Chad said:
hope your pinky gets better mate :lol: :lol:
Yeah, my pinky is still a little too "pink" and doesn't quite match my opposite finger still. It's also a little sensitive to cold water and stings a bit whenever I wash my hands for some reason? :?: But other than that the pain's subsided almost totally now.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
suggest you customise it rather than customize, or you will be talking about a US rather than UK job :lol:

BTW we don't get many of those little buggers up here, but all sorts of yucky insects are becoming more common, watch out for the mediteranean versions of these, one sting and you're hospitalised :shock:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Trickster said:
It's also a little sensitive to cold water and stings a bit whenever I wash my hands for some reason? :?:
some insect stings contain an acid which reacts with water, maybe Mabel can advise treatment?

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you know that the spelling "customise" isn't recognised by the Spell Check on this site? Yep, just checked it. Someone tell Dave to get an "English English" Spell Check for our site! And would you Adam & Eve it, "recognise" isn't, er, recognised either! :x

And thanks for the info on the sting. Acid, aye? Wonder what kinda hornet carries that kinda sting? :?

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
I think it's carbolic acid and lots of insects carry it :shock: :shock:
It's not the same as ants I think thats formic acid.

UK spellchecker doesn't recognise "advise" either it always want me to change sentences to "I write to advice you" which is obviously wrong even by 'mercan standards :lol:

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's not the worst of it, the Spell Check doesn't even recognise "I'd" or "I'm"!

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Trickster said:
Did you know that the spelling "customise" isn't recognised by the Spell Check on this site? Yep, just checked it. Someone tell Dave to get an "English English" Spell Check for our site! And would you Adam & Eve it, "recognise" isn't, er, recognised either! :x

And thanks for the info on the sting. Acid, aye? Wonder what kinda hornet carries that kinda sting? :?
You can add words to the spellchucker, unfortunately you don't have a lot of choice when it comes to spellcheckers that integrate with the forum, so we're stuck with what we've got. I've noticed a few anomolies, but I rarely use it.

·
Need Constant Supervision
2,495 Posts
Trickster said:
Did you know that the spelling "customise" isn't recognised by the Spell Check on this site?
This wabsite hes a spallchekar :shock: Blimey :lol:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts