Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took an F800GS out for a test ride today on a mixture of motorway, city, B-roads and unpaved track. I came back from the test ride with a nice big grin :)

What a superb piece of kit. It goes where you point it. It's got nice amounts of torque (obviously no match for an R1200GS - but good in its own right) and can be really chucked about (don't tell the dealer!).

Where it really excelled was carving lazily through town traffic, blasting through the twisties rolling on and off the throttle, and messing about standing on the pegs on mud and gravel. The only negative as far as I was concerned was the gearing seems to be a bit low for motorway getting a bit vibey at the 80mph mark in top. It's not bad but it is noticeable because it's pretty smooth the rest of the time. It may get better as the motor loosens up so it may resolve itself anyway.

So, has anyone got one of these and what's fallen off it so far?

I don't expect many replies 'cos if you've got one you're likely to be out riding it rather than wasting your time on the forum :)

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts
So, has anyone got one of these and what's fallen off it so far?
My money would be on the top box first, at least that's what came off my mate's 2005 1200GS, then later his 2007 1200GSA!:D
Are you buying one of the 800's then?:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Not at the moment - maybe used in a year or two if Honda can't come up with something suitable.
And the BMW has ironed out teething troubles. Nice looking bike. Surprised to hear of the vibes at 80 thought it would do that smoothly

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
And the BMW has ironed out teething troubles. Nice looking bike. Surprised to hear of the vibes at 80 thought it would do that smoothly
this is a problem thats afflicting the F800 as well so its no supprise apparently it doesnt get any better with age on that bike so dnt get your hopes up:rolleyes: its a shame as its the only fly in the ointment that is a very good bike...but if they made it corking on a long run as well then it would murder the sales of the 1200 so they are not going to do that:D:D:D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Maybe going for the F650 twin gearing on it would shift the vibes slightly further up the speedo - just 5mph difference would do it for me.

·
17,680 Posts
Maybe going for the F650 twin gearing on it would shift the vibes slightly further up the speedo - just 5mph difference would do it for me.
that could work also that bike is bloody good value for money:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I saw the pictures of the F650GS twin and hated the wheels and overall look of it. It seemed a bit too tame. They actually look much better in the flesh but I wouldn't want less power as that's something the F800 does right. It's certainly more value for money but not for me.

I figure a two year old F800GS would be the best value so I'll wait for a bit and see how they stand up to abuse and get the factory recalls and software updates out of the way ;)

·
17,680 Posts
I saw the pictures of the F650GS twin and hated the wheels and overall look of it. It seemed a bit too tame. They actually look much better in the flesh but I wouldn't want less power as that's something the F800 does right. It's certainly more value for money but not for me.

I figure a two year old F800GS would be the best value so I'll wait for a bit and see how they stand up to abuse and get the factory recalls and software updates out of the way ;)
i was tempted by the F800GS but didnt go for it for the same reasons as you:thumbup:

i then went to the KTM and its the best thing ive done:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

I felt the same I like the bike but it is too new and has not had the teething troubles sorted yet.
i was tempted by the F800GS but didnt go for it for the same reasons as you:thumbup:

The katie seems to have teething problems as well, maybe you should have gone for the horse and cart.:D

·
17,680 Posts
I felt the same I like the bike but it is too new and has not had the teething troubles sorted yet.

The katie seems to have teething problems as well, maybe you should have gone for the horse and cart.:D
teething problems solved DFS seat installed = comfortable rocket ship thats feckin ace off road:D:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I'll book a ride on the KTM next and see how well that wheelies. I think I already know the answer to that.

·
17,680 Posts
Maybe I'll book a ride on the KTM next and see how well that wheelies. I think I already know the answer to that.
to easy it frightens the pants off me:D:D:D

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
At least the Katie does not need a ton of gaffer tape to hold it together.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
Reading with interest,
The BM parallel twins seem to tick all the right boxes for me - maybe in five years time (2yrs to sort out the teething problems, and 3yrs of depreciation!)

Phil

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm confused. Is the F650 still a single and is the F800 a parallel twin? They look so alike.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
I'm confused. Is the F650 still a single and is the F800 a parallel twin? They look so alike.
I never could understand German logic.
The 650 single now lives in the 'X' range of bikes both the '650' & 800 GS use the 800 twin engine, just detuned in the 650.

There ya go. Clear as mud....

Phil

·
Tropical Member
2,037 Posts

I was too, it was either, the Adventure or the F800, but as usual, the BMW dealers over here, are more interested in selling what they have in stock, (F650's and 1200GS's & GSA's). The impression I get from BMW is that what a customer is actually interested in, comes a very poor second in their consideration. (I had an email last week from the Manila dealer trying to flog me a 650, since the 800's wouldn't be arriving till near Christmas time, maybe.)
Despite the teething troubles of the 990 Adventure, from all the reports I've read, not only from here, but other sites too and trailbike mag's, I think I've made the right decision.;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I never could understand German logic.
The 650 single now lives in the 'X' range of bikes both the '650' & 800 GS use the 800 twin engine, just detuned in the 650.

There ya go. Clear as mud....

Phil
Actually, it makes a lot more sense to me now. I saw a brochure for the F650 at the NEC and thought it had a missprint when I saw the engine size.
Much appreciated.
At least an XRV750 will always only be a Motocross/road bike with a 750 V engine. If only everything was as simple as honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have owned my F800GS for 4 months now and STILL nothing has fallen off! Did France, Spain, Portugal, Spain, Andorra and France again in 29 days - brilliant. Pissed down for most of it, as well. Actually ran it in on the 4,500 mile journey after the first service. Infinitely better than the Africa Twin I sold to you, Chad!! And it's not pink, either (a far more manly yellow!!).
Didn't notice any vibes at 80, but cruises better at about a ton, with panniers. Could do with a taller screen for me, though. Great off-road, too. Just can't knock it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts