Honda XRV Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
sourcing a new connector for fuel pump installation.

I fitted a facet yesterday - the usual choice of a 41015 from Rugged Roads (Facet Fuel Pump / Pompa Benzina Facet - Detailed item view - RUGGED ROADS - Honda BMW KTM Motorcycle Accessory).

The installation instructions at the start of this thread are great (thanks GSPD50!) but as my old pump was still working I didn't want to cut any wiring or fuel lines. This requires 3 extra things.
  1. A new rubber mount (probably not necessary, but I don't want the hassle of removing/refitting this if I swap pumps in future)
  2. Short length of extra fuel line, for the output side of the facet (so that I can keep the original, long fuel line for the OE pump)
  3. A new male electrical connector (so I don't have to cut the wires on the OE pump), and a few inches of wire and shrink fit sleeve.
The electrical connector is the only thing that isn't straightforward to source, but it turns out to be a "Mini-Lock" connector that you can get from Pole Volt, their part number ML2KIT (Mini Lock Connector 2 way kit. Including terminals.: ML2KIT).

Unfortunately the wires on the facet aren't long enough, so you need to solder on about 6 inches of extra wire. I'd recommend shrink fit sleeve to keep it tidy and protect the wires as it's a fairly exposed area between the fuel pump and where it plugs into the loom.

I didn't think to buy fuel line in advance. and the local auto spares place had nothing suitable, so I actually managed to fit the facet with the long original fuel line. There's a lot of space under the tank at the back, so I just put it in a big loop (need a wee bit of care to avoid kinks, but it fits and it tucked up out of harm's way). I'll sort this out later, so lit looks like the line in GSPD750's pictures.

BTW, original fuel line on the input side (between fuel filter and pump) is the exact shape and length to fit with the facet, using the straight union that Rugged Roads supply with the pump. I see no need to use the 90 degree union that Rugged Roads also sell -- in fact if I had used that, I would have needed a new bit of fuel line (or to cut the old one). Maybe the 90 degree union is useful for RD04s or Varaderos or something?

When fitted, the pump is so quiet that I thought I'd got the writing wrong and it wasn't running! Had to jam a screwdriver up against the pump body and put my east to the other end, in order to hear anything. There was only about 1 litre of fuel in the tank too, FWIW.

So far only about 10 miles on a test run. Can't see or smell any leaks. Fingers crossed!

·
Island Explorer
53 Posts
Re: sourcing a new connector for fuel pump installation.

So far only about 10 miles on a test run. Can't see or smell any leaks. Fingers crossed![/QUOTE]

Hi, was wondering if you got any news how your Facet is holding up?

I'm installing mine next week....

Cheers, Chris from Taiwan

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts

So far only about 10 miles on a test run. Can't see or smell any leaks. Fingers crossed!

Cheers, Chris from Taiwan[/QUOTE]
It's been perfect. No issues at all, no noises. I never did get round to shortening the fuel line, but that hasn't caused any issues.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts

Cheers, Chris from Taiwan
It's been perfect. No issues at all, no noises. I never did get round to shortening the fuel line, but that hasn't caused any issues.[/QUOTE]
Having trouble replying, here's another go...

It's been great - just works, silent, no attention required. I didn't get round to fitting a shorter fuel line but the long one I curled up isn't causing issues.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all,

I'm installing my Facet pump this weekend (after the original one with points has been giving me tricks).

Just wondering how much km's people are doing with these now, flawlessly? In cold weather, hot weather, ...

Brgds,
Wannes

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had problems with fuel starvation during starting. Installed the Facet pump yesterday with help of this topic and the bike started straight on. With help of Teflon I managed to put the rubber on the pump and I didn't have to shorten the fuel hoses on either side. Actually the one going to the carbs is still hanging in the mounting rubber beneath the frame.

101 - 106 of 106 Posts