Honda XRV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Hi Guy's great thread this, I have replaced my stock pump with the facet and although the bike runs fine I have an intermitant clattering coming from the pump, there is no interference in operation of the bike when it is clattering but I dont know why it is doing it. It sounds as if the pump is empty? Why? the only thing that I am questioning is should the fuel filter be between the tank and pump or the pump and carb's do I need one either side of the pump? I have tried two facets and they both do the same. Does anyone elses do this. I feel i need a explanation as it makes me feel as I cant rely on it.
Regards Tez:p
Normal....providing it's not continuous. Moving the petcock seems to work for me.
Quite a few threads on the noisy Facets over the years.

Noisy Facet pump

·
KTM 990 ADV
341 Posts
Well I am going back to the standard pump and will carry a facet as a spare as I cant stand intermitant tractor impressions, for me there is something not quite right for the pump to be empty at certain times, ie closed or slightly open throttle positions, thats if it is the pump being empty that results in a noisier operation, it sounds like the discs are clattering due to being dry to me! :confused:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Well I am going back to the standard pump and will carry a facet as a spare as I cant stand intermitant tractor impressions, for me there is something not quite right for the pump to be empty at certain times, ie closed or slightly open throttle positions, thats if it is the pump being empty that results in a noisier operation, it sounds like the discs are clattering due to being dry to me! :confused:
Both my old twins are on standard pumps same as KTM 950

KTM 950 Fuel pump for Africa Twin - The HUBB

fit the diode to stop the spark ( this does the damage )

modifica pompa benzina per honda africa twin 750

or an external relay

http://www.africatwin.ru/africafiles/manual/fuelpump.pdf

not done it yet , will get around to it one day:toothy1:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Your quite right. Are you on the main tank or reserve when you hear the clattering? How full is your tank when you hear it? When
was you fuel filter replaced last? Does it go away when moving the petcock...it should diminish if your tank is full(er)?
I've only heard mine while on the stand and idling...the rest of the time i'm riding with a helmet and earlplugs. No problem. :)

·
KTM 990 ADV
341 Posts
Hi GSPD750,
My bike is the RD04 so as no reserve as such, the clattereing happens right through the tank range but only at closed or light throttle the filter was changed when the pump was installed (genuine Honda) there as to be some explanation for the pump clattering. I understand that the facet is solidstate airlcraft grade equipment! (If I was on a plane waiting to take off and the fuel pump started clattering intermitantly I would get off lol ) The puzzling thing is that the bike runs really well throughout! :toothy10:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Hi GSPD750,
My bike is the RD04 so as no reserve as such, the clattereing happens right through the tank range but only at closed or light throttle the filter was changed when the pump was installed (genuine Honda) there as to be some explanation for the pump clattering. I understand that the facet is solidstate airlcraft grade equipment! (If I was on a plane waiting to take off and the fuel pump started clattering intermitantly I would get off lol ) The puzzling thing is that the bike runs really well throughout! :toothy10:
Strange...What I do know is that the inside diameter of the brass barbed fittings you screw into the pump are 1/4". Is it possible yours are not...or are you using
an aftermarket fuel hose with a slightly smaller inside diameter and thereby restricting the flow....or a tight bend. Just a hunch....

From what I have gathered from my experiences and others here with RDO7(A) is that with a full(er) tank you are less likely to
hear any chattering from the pump and this is probably due to a certain amount of head pressure from the weight of the fuel and the less likelihood of introducing
air into the system from the sloshing around of fuel and air. Again...just my hunch...or I could be out to lunch on this one. :D

·
KTM 990 ADV
341 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Hi there Raymo, just ordered new points for oem pump and going to have a go at the relay conversion.
post pic :)

allway helps with the pump data base :)

shame we did not take pics of Whealie performing a Pumpectomy on your RD04 in Wales last year :)

I have my fuel relay by passed on the RD01 & 04, so the pump fires up as soon as the ignition is on, you get a reassuring clatter of the pump as it primes the carbs, then broom first flick of the starter button..

one of those at your own risk mods :thumbup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
could it be that the pump is pushing pressure against the float needle loading the pump at low revs/idle (fuel bowl full) then when you open the throttle the pressure is releived as the fuel usage increases :scratch:

·
Registered
1 Posts
First, great thread!
It helped me a lot when replacing the original pump with the Facet one.
Second, I think I found the easiest way to put the rubber onto the new pump.
Actually, my roommate did, after we both struggled with trying to get the rubber fit onto the new pump.
At some point I came up with the idea to stretch the rubber using a glass with a cone form.
After some heating with a hair dryer and some silicon spray, I managed to put the rubber onto the narrow side of the glass.
Then I slip it upwards until it almost reached the top edge. My intention was to put it in the oven for a while in order to stretch,
but that my roommate came into the room and said "Hey, can't we put the pump over the cup and just slip the rubber onto it, while we are taking it off the cup through the wide side?"
"Hell yeah, we can!" I said, and we tried it immediately. It worked like a charm and the rubber fit the new pump nicely and easily. When I say easily, I really mean it. :D
Here is a photo with the result:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hi Guy's great thread this, I have replaced my stock pump with the facet and although the bike runs fine I have an intermitant clattering coming from the pump, there is no interference in operation of the bike when it is clattering but I dont know why it is doing it. It sounds as if the pump is empty? Why? the only thing that I am questioning is should the fuel filter be between the tank and pump or the pump and carb's do I need one either side of the pump? I have tried two facets and they both do the same. Does anyone elses do this. I feel i need a explanation as it makes me feel as I cant rely on it.
Regards Tez:p
Hi Guy's, I had this same chattering noise from my facet over the weekend and was wondering if anyone had found what is causing it yet ???

Nigel.

·
its just a ride!
135 Posts
Dont know the technical cause, but this happened only when I first fitted the pump and only when fuel level low in the tank / reserve. Filled her up and it stopped, and never happened again. Possible that an airlock may have been making the initial tractor-like clatter? Interested to see if there is another reason!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dont know the technical cause, but this happened only when I first fitted the pump and only when fuel level low in the tank / reserve. Filled her up and it stopped, and never happened again. Possible that an airlock may have been making the initial tractor-like clatter? Interested to see if there is another reason!
My tank was almost full at the time, no noise from cold, and not there all the time. after a good warm run it starts, thought i had some real problems when i first heard it. it's not giving any problems other than the chattering??

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Dragging an old thread into the hear and now...

The instructions with the Facet Pump say that it should be fitted in an "upward" direction. Does this mean that the outlet should face upwards? If it does then fitting it to the AT would mean its 90 deg out as the pump is horizontal in the mounted position.

·
Registered
88 Posts
All: Thank you for the posts with excellent photographs, insight and suggestions. As a new owner of a 1990 RD04 AT with 66 km or 41k miles, I am interested in learning of the average mileage obtained from an OEM unit before a failure and if the failure was intermittent or if it was a total failure. Since my AT has the original OEM fuel pump, should I expect a failure relatively soon and proactively replace the fuel pump? I have tentative plans for a trip in a couple weeks, and don't like to work on a motorcycle before a trip since little time may be available to work out any issues. My AT is running fine now. I am able to travel with a spare. If you experienced a fuel pump failure, was it an intermittent failure with random fuel starvation and perhaps a noisy pump that enabled you to return home? Or was it an immediate failure that resulted in fuel starvation and the inability to ride the motorcycle? On the other hand, are there high mileage AT's on the road that never experienced the fuel pump failure? Thanks in advance! David

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Hi David,

I can't comment on the OEM pump as mine had a Facet when I bought it. What I can say is that my Facet packed up without warning. It didn't make any noise beforehand and resulted in the bike being totally unridable. The first time it happened it worked again after switching off and back on again. Then it ran fine for about 800 miles then packed up again twice in 5 days, the third time was terminal. The Facet fitted was 5 years old, so not old at all.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
All: Thank you for the posts with excellent photographs, insight and suggestions. As a new owner of a 1990 RD04 AT with 66 km or 41k miles, I am interested in learning of the average mileage obtained from an OEM unit before a failure and if the failure was intermittent or if it was a total failure. Since my AT has the original OEM fuel pump, should I expect a failure relatively soon and proactively replace the fuel pump? I have tentative plans for a trip in a couple weeks, and don't like to work on a motorcycle before a trip since little time may be available to work out any issues. My AT is running fine now. I am able to travel with a spare. If you experienced a fuel pump failure, was it an intermittent failure with random fuel starvation and perhaps a noisy pump that enabled you to return home? Or was it an immediate failure that resulted in fuel starvation and the inability to ride the motorcycle? On the other hand, are there high mileage AT's on the road that never experienced the fuel pump failure? Thanks in advance! David
In my opinion the OEM pump fails from lack of maintenance not from being unreliable mine stopped working at about 50,000 miles I did not know they needed a bit of maintenance once in a blue moon but after taking the cover off and dressing the points with some fine emery cloth it was working again. and went on working for thousands of miles but a trip abroad made me replace the points before going still got the old set as an emergency spare
I suggest you take the cover off and see what kind of condition they are in and make a decision on what to do from there :thumbright:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
The failure rate on the 03/04 Africa twins is not as great as the 07 apparently , and this may be down to the fact that the 07 has a reserve and the pumps therefore run dry occasionally , rather than the fuel lights on the early models.

My 03/4 twin still has the original pump after 100,000 Km
The 88 03 showed signs of sticking when I was fettling it in the garage. So I replaced it with a 6000 series facet pump, hated it, clicking and drawing heavy current pulses, it's a shuttle pump and I think the more even pressure pulses from the original diaphragm pump are more preferable ! So I replaced it with a new OEM pump.... Sorted

It's personnel preference but I would leave the pump and carry an OEM unit, no replumbing , so losing skin getting the rubber mounting on the facet , no debate over orientation :toothy8:

Many folk have the facet and are happy with them
But for me the original with a diode is fine , especially on the older models:toothy8:

·
Space Emperor
613 Posts
Flogging a fairly dead horse, I know ... I just thought this thread was serving great info for anyone trying to install a Facet, so I thought I'd post my own installation tip here.

Here's how I got the bugger into the rubber. The metal ring is from my gas stove. Takes a couple of minutes to tighten up so it will fit. A bit of soap water, and some pushing will seat it. I didn't heat the rubber prior, as it wasn't really necessary.

IMG_8824.jpg
IMG_8832.jpg
IMG_8833.jpg
IMG_8835.jpg

It's a 40178 pump, by the way, so we'll see how that goes (half the throughput of the usual 40105) I'm praying it will shut the hell up, and just focus on delivering the bloody fuel.

Will need to figure out how to install it at an angle, as Facet recommends, to avoid vapor lock. The intake should be lower than the outtake ... any ideas on how to do this with the rubber on the mounting points? Maybe twisting it a bit, once it's on the pegs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had my share of fuel pump woes in the past on my '99 @ and now I feel I have finally solved them with the recent install of this US made solid state Facet pump. Model # 40105
Thank for a very good installation discription.
I just installed my Facet over the winter, but when I turned on the bike yesterday fuel was running out of the over float hoses from the carburators.
Installed the old OEM pump again and fuel was still running out.
Disasembled the carburators and one of the float valve did not close properly.
Was this just a coincidence or might the Facet have couse the a broken float valve do to brake?

Thanks,
Rasmus

81 - 100 of 106 Posts