Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out trail riding at the weekend my Facet fuel pump appeared to start playing up. Knowing that these are quality aerospace fuel pumps I suspect that the pump is fine and it's the bike that's shagged!

Anyway, on more than one occaision I'd pull up to a stop with the bike in gear, kick down the sidestand (to cut the engine), and the pump would start clicking madly away. Three problems,

* I thought the pump was a constant pressure type, so with the engine off and electrics on it should stop pumping

* normally the pump is dead quiet, so I shouldn't be able to hear it from several meters away (with a helmet on)

* it wasn't consistent, sometimes it'd go into a frenzy, sometimes it'd stop when the engine stopped

Anyone else had any problems with the Facet fuel pump? The other thing I noticed on the road trip home was a slight surging at speed (70-80mph) which has started in the last 100 miles or so.

Any ideas?

·
ignore the vain
943 Posts
Both my bikes surge at that speed the vara and xrv when cruising.the xrv has a facet.
The clicking is it doing it with the ignition off in which case you have a short check the relay is not corroded?. Mine clicks if fuel to the pump is restricted so all its pumping is air?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The clicking you hear is normal I believe and is coming from the nylon plunger. Mine will do it occasionally at idle. Just the other day at startup and idle it started clicking when I knew it was getting low on fuel in the tank. I then switched to reserve and it immediately went away. Mmmm...
Probably needs that extra bit of head pressure from a fuller tank to keep it from cavitating and starving. I don't believe the clicking is hurting the pump at all unless you ran it all day when it was dry.
Never had surging issues that I could link to the pump. Is yours the model 40105 purchased at The Store?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I bought the pump from The Store. I'm happy that the electrical connections to it are fine, with the electrics off the pump stops (as it should). And the tank had at least 150 miles worth of fuel in it.

It does seem logical that if the supply of fuel to the pump is interrupted, the pump will start pumping like mad to try and compensate. I guess it's also true that if the carbs or fuel pipes are leaking, then the pump will also increase it's pumping as it tries to build to the correct pressure.

I did notice some fuel escaping from the pipework under the bike. I'd assumed that the bouncing around over rocks had splashed fuel out through a breather (or something). But maybe I need to investigate if the carbs are leaking, or if there's anything else obviously not quite right.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
don't know if this is any help but about 9 years ago i had a kit car with the same facet fuel pump on it. the first one packed up so bought a new one and noted in the instructions it's supposed to be mounted at an angle so changed the mounting to acomidate this but that pump only lasted a year then died to this day i don't know why:confused: i gave up and fitted an SU type instead so don't be to suprised if its packing up

the one on my @ also clicks quite loud and erattick so don't think thats unusual not much help i know sorry

mike

Yep, I bought the pump from The Store. I'm happy that the electrical connections to it are fine, with the electrics off the pump stops (as it should). And the tank had at least 150 miles worth of fuel in it.

It does seem logical that if the supply of fuel to the pump is interrupted, the pump will start pumping like mad to try and compensate. I guess it's also true that if the carbs or fuel pipes are leaking, then the pump will also increase it's pumping as it tries to build to the correct pressure.

I did notice some fuel escaping from the pipework under the bike. I'd assumed that the bouncing around over rocks had splashed fuel out through a breather (or something). But maybe I need to investigate if the carbs are leaking, or if there's anything else obviously not quite right.

Cheers all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts