Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Never ever seen that livery before.
What says the color code on the label situated on the frame under the seat?

I must say South Wales looks alright!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I thought when i bought this it had been repainted at some point.
But now after taking it apart theres no signs of other colours anywhere not even under the tank.
What do you think?
I haven't seen these colours before, but I was tempted by this bike but Barry was way too far. I do like the colour, what is registered on the V5? Could this be a special edition, some kind of Dakar tribute or celebration model? It looks like a 1990's bike, most were shell-suit colours lol ! Could it be an import? Alps sold well in Europe and it could have been a one-off promo bike? Either way, it's unique and does look damn good. Well done on your purchase :)

·
Xi dwejjaq member
922 Posts
Have to admit that, the more I see of the earlier Transalps, the more I like the look of 'em.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a 97 P plated bike, Says yellow and silver on the logbook.
I first spotted it on ebay few weeks ago, The seller wanted £1000 for it witch before i seen it thought wasent a bad price seeing as it came with luggage and a few extras.
But the bike had been sat near the sea for the last 6 months witch hadent done it any favours, It looked ruff to say the least.
I made an offer while i was there but the seller thought he,d get more on ebay.
Well i watched the auction and it did sell for just over £1000.

So emailed the seller saying any problems with the buyer and my offers there if you change your mind.
Week later i get a phone call from the seller asking if i still wanted the bike, Something to do with the buyer not turning up.
Personaly i think he turned up and changed his mind.

Still it was to my gain in the end as i had it for a lot less than what it sold for on ebay.
I brought it home and give it a good going over with the pressure washer.
Its the first time i think a bike as looked worse after being washed :rolleyes:

But still it does seem mechanically sound where it matters and the engine sound real nice.
My plan was to paint but the more i look at it the more i'm thinking why bother, Its never going to win and beauty contests and the ruff rugged look sort of suits it.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
1997, single front brake? 1997 was the first of the twin rotor Alps (and the first Italian one), so my guess is it's a 1994-1996 bike. Grey import then probably, or somebody stuck a different front end in. Either way the story doesn't quite add up.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
Probably 1996 then... The last Japan-built 600 Transalp. Not a bad year. :)

Googling those colour codes gets me this one:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Its a p registered bike so i just assumed it was a 97 bike could well be a 96.
Speedo reads in mph.
Colour codes are R217M & R217K
Surely an import if speedo kmh? Still like those colours, shame its seen better days after washed - all bikes look great from 6ft away :( At least you knew what is was like, I am sure you'll sort it. Lets just say you got it fo £800, it's still half what you'd pay for an Alp in good nick with 30,000 miles so still a damn good deal. Keep the colours ! Really like it :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ow well i thought praps for a minuete it was a realy rare sort after valuable limited paintwork bike :D
Maybe i,l give it a fresh coat after all, Quite fancy graphic grey & matalic black maybe.
Where were they built after 96 then?
Grey and black rocks ! (not that this is the same colour as mine of course...) :thumbright:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well spent a bit of time in the garage today strippig it of all its bodywork and getting down to the nitty gritty.
Ive come to the conclusion the bike must have had a cover over most of it but leaving the rear end out in the nice fresh salt air.
Swinging arm is quite rusty, But the worst part of the bike has to be the rear disc.
I've never seen a disc as bad on any vehicle.
After 10 minutes with a wire brush and drill i realised its too far gone which is a shame as it didn't look that worn.
One thing i have been pleasantly surprised at so far is every bolt i've gone to undo has come undone quite easily which is a bonus as i was expecting quite a few to snap off.

Few more photos from the add when i picked it up

You cant realy tell much from the photos of how bad the back end is.
Still a few weeks and it,l be back on the road hopefully looking a bit better.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Best of luck there :) Like Ive said before; ALL bikes look great from 6 ft away :(

Please post pic as you restore her, would make a great post so others can get tips as you sound like you know what you're doing, unlike me for example...... :thumbright:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts