Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a fair weather rider june, july, august and september i am not used to the cold but i went out for a 70 mile round trip on sunday
I LIKED IT
apart from my front brake binding from lack of use,

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
As a fair weather rider june, july, august and september i am not used to the cold but i went out for a 70 mile round trip on sunday
I LIKED IT
I think your brave to
ADMIT ON HERE TO BEING A FAIR WEATHER RIDER

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
As a fair weather rider I am not used to the cold but I went out for a 70 mile round trip on Sunday:
I LIKED IT
What species of insanity is this?! Riding only in the Summer?! There are some lovely roads around mid-Bedfordshire and plenty of tasty green lanes. How can you resist? :confused: Whack on some heated hand-grips. You'd be amazed what a difference it makes to have some warmth in your hands. :thumbup:

(why named after a locomotive?)

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the gear no idea springs to mind, i have heated grips, hand guards and a full set of hein gericke riding gear :(
my 07 reg 650 is to shiny to take off road

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
What species of insanity is this?! Riding only in the Summer?! There are some lovely roads around mid-Bedfordshire and plenty of tasty green lanes. How can you resist? :confused: Whack on some heated hand-grips. You'd be amazed what a difference it makes to have some warmth in your hands. :thumbup:

(why named after a locomotive?)
He's not entirely alone here ? He's does sound a bit " LOCO " :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
The winter, rain, fog etc is why they invented cars. My name is John and I'm a fair weather biker.

To be honest I'm not really but I refuse to take mine TA out when there is even a dusting of salt on the road. It's hard enough to stop it going rusty as it is!!

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's not entirely alone here ? He's does sound a bit " LOCO " :)
I am a train driver and 6lda 28b is the manufactures number of the engine fitted to it's locomotives.
Might be easier if i changed to train driver, unless anybody else uses that already

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I am a train driver and 6lda 28b is the manufactures number of the engine fitted to it's locomotives.
Might be easier if i changed to train driver, unless anybody else uses that already
No Mate,Keep your 6lda,there is nothing like a bit of origionality :) Welcome to the XRV forum too.I'm almost positive two of our long standing members also reside in your village ! ( if I'm right maybe you could keep an eye on them for us,we're sure there up to no good most of the time but we can't prove it :rolleyes: :D:D:D:D ) Don't worry about the fair weather jibes either,riding is riding is riding :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not me, I ride 365 days, and hardly ever clean my bike - no point and lifes too short!

I like fair weather riders though, it means theres lots of low mileage bikes around! :thumbup:

Cheers

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its constantly winter up here in Scotland which reminds me i need to check my diary and see what day summer is this year

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I ride all year round but see nothing wrong with fair weather riders....it's a matter of choice.
For me the thought of commuting by underground into London makes me shiver....better freezing cold and wet but out on two wheels than down deep like rats...:)
welcome to the forum!

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
I've found that if you never wash your bike then the mud you accumulate during the summer months off road act as protection for the bike from the salt in the winter

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

If that doesn't work get your other half to wash the salt off, it always works for me :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fair weather rider here also. This is my third year riding again.
Previous bike was an old BMW R80RT that offerd excellent protection against rain and wind. Also shaft drive so no chain maintenance worries and did use it the year around.
My 700 i will not expose to much on rain or salt so riding only when its dry.
The cold this winter however is a pain in ... ... .
Body and feet i can keep warm ,my hands however remains a problem ,despite the hand guards.
Did try heated grips on a other 700 what felt a bit better but not worth the extra cost.
Heated gloves are heaven but not cheap ,...mayby next winter.

Enjoy

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
Grey alp I use heated grips, handlebar muffs and summer gloves because my hands get too hot with that combination.

I can't stand being cold, and I have to be honest, even through all of the snow I have managed to get my kit just right this year and haven't suffered at all.

Heated vest, heated grips and woolly socks

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Did try heated grips on a other 700 what felt a bit better but not worth the extra cost.
Heated gloves are heaven but not cheap ,...mayby next winter.
Sharrie's right. Heated grips by themselves is one thing but they come into their own with muffs. They look appalling, but they work! :thumbright:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I LIKED IT
I am probably riding over a longer spell through the year than you, but I too ride for pleasure these days, and icy roads or even worse, icy body bits are bad news I find. This is a decision I have arrived at after riding bikes for over well over 3 decades now!! The knees don't like getting cold...

I used to laugh at the thought of taking a trail bike to the hills for a Sundays lane riding in the middle of Winter, rain and sleet squalling around my ears, but not now!! :)

PS the sticking brake is a common failing for us fair weather TA riders :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I long ago gave up on heated grips as being a far too limited solution because they don't warm the back of the hands. My old BMW had these but I rarely used them. My answer for years now has been heated gloves. These are unbeatable for warmth and comfort in my opinion and can also be combined with a heated vest on the same circuit for even more comfort.

Simplest method is to fit a fused 12v socket to the bike as I've done on my Alp then just plug in and go. With my heated kit I can use the gloves alone, the vest alone or both because the gloves run off the vest if being used together. The socket can be used also for battery maintaining with an Optimate etc.

I can see that heated grips with muffs and light gloves would work but apart from looking naff as was said, muffs come with the potential problem of exerting pressure on the brake and clutch levers and if you want a heated vest, you still have to provide a power source for that anyway.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Hang on there is abit of an infraction in the truth here summer gloves Sharrie never wore summer gloves in Spain a 40 deg c .:rolleyes:

Grey alp I use heated grips, handlebar muffs and "thickest, warmest winter gloves I can get, with room to put Kashmir wool inner gloves on to". gloves because my hands get too hot with that combination.

I can't stand being cold, and I have to be honest, even through all of the snow I have managed to get my kit just right this year and haven't suffered at all.

Heated vest, heated grips and woolly socks
just edited the truth honey :hitler::hitler:

·
melissa theuriau xxxxx
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

just a quick pic of my 2006 model transalp on a 07 plate,
it was an ebay buy last june got it for £2700, had to go to preston to get it, all i have had done is a chain sprocket, pads, all filters and oil change.
It came with frames for side luggage but the guy wouldnt sell those or the tomtom but he left the wiring in place.
The transalp replaced a KTM 950se, that had to go as it would only do 95 miles to the tank, the KTM replaced a 883 harley custom no speed, the harley replaced a KTM 950 adventure.
I also have a 1963 lambretta that i use to do euro rallies on this year gijon in spain via st malo and later in the year saint-nazaire france.
next year elba.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts