Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ve looked at the previous post but can’t find one that addresses my problem. I have a 2002 AT in Florida. It’s warm here. If I stop at the lights etc the temp goes from low to red line in about 5 minutes and the fan does not cut in. I have replaced the thermostat , and the switch at the bottom of the right hand radiator. With a battery I have tested that the fan works. What should I check next? Thanks

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Fuse or bad/missing earth connection from the fan/radiator to loom are the usual culprits.

Earth the connector at the switch (bottom of rad) to the switch body - the fan should come on (with ign on), if it doesnt try earthing it to engine or straight to battery.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Pig, I ran a wire from the switch to the frame with ignition on and the fan came on. The fuse 10Amps is fine. I’m not great with electrics but if you give me an idea where to look next I will have a go! Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Hi Pig, I ran a wire from the switch to the frame with ignition on and the fan came on. The fuse 10Amps is fine. I’m not great with electrics but if you give me an idea where to look next I will have a go! Thanks, Tony
Good, that means most of the circuit is fine. Presumably the fan doesn't come on when you earth the connector to the switch body? That means the fan/radiator needs earthing to the bikes frame, the fan has a dedicated earth wire that is easily missed if it's been removed at any point.
As the radiator is rubber mounted the fan relies on a dedicated earth.

I hope this helps, Phil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good, that means most of the circuit is fine. Presumably the fan doesn't come on when you earth the connector to the switch body? That means the fan/radiator needs earthing to the bikes frame, the fan has a dedicated earth wire that is easily missed if it's been removed at any point.
As the radiator is rubber mounted the fan relies on a dedicated earth.

I hope this helps, Phil

Hi Phil
I ran a wire from the top radiator bolt to the front bolt on the air filter housing and ran the bike up. At half scale the fan started. I’m a happy chappy! Thank you very much.
Tony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts