Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my bike's indicators suddenly started playing up, sometimes refusing to work and at other times working at double speed as if there's a blown bulb. The unit was replaced 15 months ago. I've checked and cleaned all the connections with no change. At times I can hear the unit "ticking" but no lights flashing or it would start to flash and then stop flashing and ticking or it would stop flashing but continue ticking. I do have aftermarket indicators at the back but this shouldn't make a difference, or could it?

Is it safe to assume that it's the flasher unit that's busted? Is there as way to check whether the unit is still working apart from sticking it on another bike?

Thanks!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I took my working indicator relay off my bike the other day to fit LED indicators and a Rugged Roads digital relay, so if you need one urgent pick it up or I can meet you in town tomorrow with it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Whealie. My local bikeshop apparently has some in stock and I'm hoping to pick one up on Wednesday. Hopefully it's the right one. If not I'll give you a shout. Many thanks again.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Mine packed up Wednesday. The lights just stay on when I switch the indicators on. Ordered one from Honda yesterday. It's all it can be. All the handlebar switch does is supply a live feed to the relay. It's the relay that does the switching. Sounds like yours is knackered too. Took mine out and gave it a bash but still no joy.

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
Ordered one from Honda cough splutter , when Meesh had trouble with hers on her @ it was about £56 or summat stupid , I posted her a secondhand from a H100 that i had broken a couple of years ago , and head no complaints back as yet , i assume it works ,well it did when it left here ,

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had indicator probs back in January. My indicators seemed very slow to come on. Bought a replacement relay From rugged Roads and a spray of WD40 into the indicator switch.
Worked after that. Still something strange though, indicators work perfectly with headlights on, a bit slow to come on with just the sidelights on, and sometimes don't come on at
all with lights switched off.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I've got the genuine part and the rubber for £39 from my local dealer. Could buy cheaper, but "Made in Japan" does mean something in my books...;)

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
it may have been £39 ,

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still in the dark as to what the problem could be. The dealer had an aftermarket unit in stock for less than a tenner, but he says that the problem is most likely not with the unit but with the aftermarket indicators I have fitted at the back. According to him the units tend to play up if the bulbs draw different currents. Unfortunately I have no idea of the wattage of the rear bulbs. The right indicators have started working perfectly again but the lefthand ones are still a bit hit and miss. To complicate things further my headlights have both stopped working this morning. I'm hoping it's just a blown fuse.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Lootch,

It could be a faulty earth somewhere? Sounds more like it considering your headlights are playing up too.

I have just picked up my new Turn Signal relay from Honda this afternoon.

It has printed on it...

OMRON
G8B-201-01
12.8v 85C/M
Turn Signal
23(21)wx2+3.4(3)w
Japan
DOT 6966
2564D2

·
Registered
450 Posts
Had trouble with the indicators on my 7A but had these awful, aftermarket junk units when I bought her. Bought new originals all round, and everything is working great now.

Really don't see the use of these small aftermarket units. I mean, If I want to turn on a public road, I want to make damn sure everybody can see them, not these stupid little things that are not bright enough to draw attention. (mine were not LED, so can't comment on theses).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts