Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your comments here please, what you liked ? what you didn't ? What you think could be improved on ? What you got in the riders pack, too much too little ? Communications ? Positive or Negative let us know.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I understand that there were less than 20% of XRV forum members there, so I guess it would be good to understand where this event is going.
Has it run its course for XRV or are there other reasons?
Perhaps time to spin it off on it's own???

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When do I get the fleece that I ordered?

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
hmm strange one this.
Only ever done the first one cause of various reasons,mainly money.Even there where only 20% of XRV riders i still think its a XRV event.Getting organized by XRV and originated by XRV.
Would it not nice(and beneficial) for this forum to be associated with a big fundraising event like that?
Nothing needs to be changed,unless the guys organising it would like to do there own thing.

But i for one would be sad seing it to become a independent event.It would eventually disappear from this forum i am sure as people would only go to the TLD website and not anymore the forum.

Another thought is,how many new forum members did we gain through the TLD?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I understand that there were less than 20% of XRV forum members there, so I guess it would be good to understand where this event is going.
Has it run its course for XRV or are there other reasons?
Perhaps time to spin it off on it's own???
Hi all, First i would like to say well done to all those that took part in this. I have not taken part in one yet, but i do get involved in charity events through work for Water Aid.

One of the problems we are finding is getting harder to find sponcership each year, and may be it would be better to try a bigger event once every two or three years. That way we won't be knocking on the same door's so often.

I know that's not so good for the chosen charity, but you may end up raising just as much money over three years, with more intrest from people wanting too take part.

It is a hard choice, as you have done so well in the past.

Nigel.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'm truely sorry for not attending the TLD , my hearts in it but my a#rse wont let me.
300 or 400 miles, 500 at a push but thats my butts limit I think.
Saying that Johnagroats to Landsend , never been to the northern Scottyland and would like to see it and I love Cornwall.
Is it against the law to stand on the pegs that far? or side sadle like Mad Arthur ?:hiding:
TLD is Xrv, end of....

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
But I for one would be sad seeing it become a independent event. It would eventually disappear from this forum. I am sure as people would only go to the TLD website and not anymore the forum.
Let me shoot that worry in the head. Like this year, we intend to have a TLD website, but the links with XRV will remain strong and there should be plenty on the forum.:D:D

Another thought is, how many new forum members did we gain through the TLD?
Barry'd know how many recruits we got to XRV but I'd be surprised if it was less than 10. :thumbup:

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Mark are you giving me the green light to moan? :D

Ok, seriously. The stickers, they could have been packaged and designed better, mine arrived looking like Golum had tried them for breakfast. Maybe some cardboard backing or cutting them into smaller segments may have been better. The design, they looked fine but the previous years had the event name across the top so when i stick the next years underneath you could still see the previous events name, this year it had Team XRV across the top and the event name further down, i now can't stick next years over that as i will lose the name, that was a bit dissapointing.

Apparently the start time was changed at the meet the night before (so some of the lads were telling us) from 0440-0500 to arrive at 0450 and set off about 0510. Us 4 stayed at Stuarts the night before as it's only 20 miles away so didn't attend the night meet and didn't get the change in time so maybe next year if there are any changes it could be sent out in a mass txt so everyone gets the message?

Had a great time though and was brill riding through France :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Apparently the start time was changed at the meet the night before (so some of the lads were telling us) from 0440-0500 to arrive at 0450 and set off about 0510. Us 4 stayed at Stuarts the night before as it's only 20 miles away so didn't attend the night meet and didn't get the change in time so maybe next year if there are any changes it could be sent out in a mass txt so everyone gets the message?

Had a great time though and was brill riding through France :)
Thanks, noted and it's something we are looking at for next year, stayed tuned!!!

Glad you enjojed the day :thumbright:

Cheers

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Let me shoot that worry in the head. Like this year, we intend to have a TLD website, but the links with XRV will remain strong and there should be plenty on the forum.:D:D

Barry'd know how many recruits we got to XRV but I'd be surprised if it was less than 10. :thumbup:
From the guys I talked too, i would says thats number is about right, but saying that i didnt get to speak to everyone.

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
I'm truely sorry for not attending the TLD , my hearts in it but my a#rse wont let me.
300 or 400 miles, 500 at a push but thats my butts limit I think.
Saying that Johnagroats to Landsend , never been to the northern Scottyland and would like to see it and I love Cornwall.
Is it against the law to stand on the pegs that far? or side sadle like Mad Arthur ?:hiding:
TLD is Xrv, end of....
I thought that about the mileage and was very apprehensive having never done more than about 250, but having done about 600 on saturday
it was much better than I expected. Plenty of stops so no real problems really, didn't even get tired til much later. (about 2-30am after a few beers:D).

·
ADV.John
63 Posts
Still not home yet.|In Rouens at the mo. Off to the ferry tomoz. After Paris we went to Annecy. Did a few passes. weather threatening so went to Millau. Bloody awesome road on the way to Millau I think it was the N88. from Millau Back to Paris. then Here. I will try & post some pic's when we are back home. I've not dared check the milleage yet!!! Or my Bank account. But @ 170 euro a litre. I think I will be skint.

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
Still not home yet.|In Rouens at the mo. Off to the ferry tomoz. After Paris we went to Annecy. Did a few passes. weather threatening so went to Millau. Bloody awesome road on the way to Millau I think it was the N88. from Millau Back to Paris. then Here. I will try & post some pic's when we are back home. I've not dared check the milleage yet!!! Or my Bank account. But @ 170 euro a litre. I think I will be skint.
Was hoping to catch up with you again m8 but didn't seem to get the chance.

I know what you mean about the money, repairs set me back 500 before the trip and i spent 600 over the 5 days but it's all fun isn't it :D

1322 miles all in so not too bad for a TLD actually, JOG to LE was loads more than that.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Not as much here as I had hoped, having been on the organising side for the last two it can only get better with constructive criticism, its a bloody hard task trying to please everyone but gladly Mark and Barry had the shoulders to carry the Towers event off.
Sponsorship is hard and difficult to achieve if your asking the same family members and work colleagues every year but asking for every second or third year for an event will dampen the interest within the forum and in general, an annual event should grow and hopefully attract some corporate backing, just someone with good literacy and legal skills in scrounging to grab the MDs of a few firms like Honda UK :rolleyes:
TLD.....the longest day ....the longest ride.
it should be an endurance ride. 1 To attract the sponsorship. 2 To attract the interest, the wow factor the "is that possible?", the "you must be mad can I join in"

Many are a bit wary of long slog rides but in a group there is safety, there is experience to call on. There is the forum to get involved and ask about..... seats, pegs, fuel, breaks, and what undies to wear:happy6:

As to the TLD breaking away from forum, please may it never happen. I fought to keep it here and an XRV event, for anyone to step up and help organise. If it breaks away it will die unless the person organising it turns it into a money making machine and takes all the credit, all the knocks and all the 'profit'...TLD is about raising money for charity, having a good ride, a good weekend with mates, even those you've not yet met.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
As to the TLD breaking away from forum, please may it never happen. I fought to keep it here and an XRV event, for anyone to step up and help organise. If it breaks away it will die unless the person organising it turns it into a money making machine and takes all the credit, all the knocks and all the 'profit'...TLD is about raising money for charity, having a good ride, a good weekend with mates, even those you've not yet met.
There is no plans to do so, it will always be part of XRV, this years TLD only had about dozen or so XRV members out of the 65, if this is going to be case in the future then we need to think of other/better of ways commicating with non-XRV members, at least 20 of the non-XRV members are ready to sign-up for next year (hopefully then sign up to XRV too). As far as i am aware, any 'Profit' made will always be passed to the charity of that year, as it has does in the past. That should never change.

As the TLD website is getting hits out XRV and people signing up, we just need to re-think a few things. We had two Aussie's sign up and pay, but I believe had problems with the shipping of the bikes at the last minute.

I have started to re-build the TLD Website for next year, hopefully with improvements, making it easier to register, as aswell as few administration improvements.

Hope this clears up any issues

·
ADV.John
63 Posts
We are back now. so my Take on this years event is. The start Place & time for the off. was a bit of a mishap. My Understanding was the start time was 04:40 up to 05:00hrs ???? Yet on my way Arrival in Blackpool ( approx 04:30hrs). I saw & got waved at by a group of the longest day riders leaving blackpool.It was also a right pain in the arse to get to the front of the tower. I do understand that you had no control of the bariers going up everywhere around the tower. This is my only criticism. On the hole I think the event ran very well.
Having read About some of the riders having issue's with accomodation and being helped out.
Which I thought was awesome :thumb::thumb: we too we very disapointed with our So called mobile home booked on the Campsite Paris leisures Yvelines France - Paris region - CAMPING INTERNATIONAL DE MAISONS-LAFFITTE at Maisons-Laffitte 4 stars campsite provides hiring mobil homes near St Germain en Laye and Versailles and campsite pitches.. we gave the keys back and went to find so where else to stay. which ended up being one of the ETAP hotels in Paris. As for some saying that this event was not trying enough. I would like to add that they should try riding around the ARC DE TRIOMPHE a couple of times. That is one of the scariest places I have ever had the pleasure of riding around.

As for the event being moved away from the xrv. I hope not. I think it would be the death of the event.
This from some one who's is riding a Suzuki DL not a Honda.
[h=3][/h]

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
As for some saying that this event was not trying enough. I would like to add that they should try riding around the ARC DE TRIOMPHE a couple of times. That is one of the scariest places I have ever had the pleasure of riding around.

As for the event being moved away from the xrv. I hope not. I think it would be the death of the event.
This from some one who's is riding a Suzuki DL not a Honda.
[h=3][/h]
Each year I say this will be my last TLD....

I have done them all, and will do the next one ,
Brian and I discussed it , and could not put our finger on what makes this such an adventure, such a blast ..... its like herding cats and total mayhem.. but with a solid thread of support and back-up and organsation running through it , that is XRV and the committed few, you know who you are and I dont envy you the task..

There is depth in the make shift groups that form too, when Barrys GPS and nav skills left him, James took point, and I know that every one in the group was more than capable of getting there on there own or leading if required.

No compalints here ..

it was mayem again :)..

but lesson learned and more fun had..

no serious damage done..

so job well done..

Only on a TLD would you find yourself fighting the traffic in central London, then 6hrs later doing the same thing on the otherside of the road, looking up and thinking... Arc de whats its name again .. thats where that mad French round about thingie is.. oops just ragged a fully loaded twin around it.. this time with my eyes open :bom:

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
Only on a TLD would you find yourself fighting the traffic in central London, then 6hrs later doing the same thing on the otherside of the road, looking up and thinking... Arc de whats its name again .. thats where that mad French round about thingie is.. oops just ragged a fully loaded twin around it.. this time with my eyes open :bom:
Thinks those were a challenge in their own right, getting eleven bikes across London and Paris :thumbup:

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Feedback from a non XRV'er.

Hi Mark,
Just to let you know that i loved the ride it was magic and look forward to next year!
Cant wait for next ride!
Cheers
Carlo

I did not pay him !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts