Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having managed to navigate from Cannock to an imaginary location in Ireland (Garren Point) via Lowestoft for last years TLD with no problems what so ever I am ashamed to admit a failure to manage the same feat over a considerably shorter distance.

Set off yesterday to get down to the working day for about 10:00, tools and manuals loaded and with the aim of possibly fitting my heated grips. I knew I was going to a location within spitting distance of London City airport so aimed for that initially with the intention of sorting out the final bit once there. All was going so well and I arrived at City airport with plenty of time. I went into my Pannier to grab my maps and the address to plot a route to the final location and was horrified to discover they weren't there. Worst than that was the fact my Mobile (with useful numbers like PD's and Sharries in it) was with the maps, which it turned out when I got home where sat by the back door to be loaded. I rode around a bit looking for an industrial estate, remembering the fact there was some film cobblers company there I even resorted to asking a copper I passed if she knew of the place. An couple of hours later, one nice new London A-Z and an ever increasing amasment at how many industrial units/ estates are in the eastend of London I set off home.

Just to complete the feeling of Pratness, this morning my alarm went off, I got up walked my dogs etc and only on arriving back in the house and turning the radio on did it dawn on me that it wasn't even 06:00 yet ...

Just waiting to see what goes wrong tomorrow that a bit of Proper Planning could have prevented. :rolleyes:

Hope the guys at the working day had a good time of it and got all they wanted done.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Set off yesterday to get down to the working day for about 10:00, tools and manuals loaded and with the aim of possibly fitting my heated grips. I knew I was going to a location within spitting distance of London City airport so aimed for that initially with the intention of sorting out the final bit once there. All was going so well and I arrived at City airport with plenty of time. I went into my Pannier to grab my maps and the address to plot a route to the final location and was horrified to discover they weren't there. Worst than that was the fact my Mobile (with useful numbers like PD's and Sharries in it) was with the maps, which it turned out when I got home where sat by the back door to be loaded. I rode around a bit looking for an industrial estate, remembering the fact there was some film cobblers company there I even resorted to asking a copper I passed if she knew of the place. An couple of hours later, one nice new London A-Z and an ever increasing amasment at how many industrial units/ estates are in the eastend of London I set off home.
Seems your Avatar is a cap badge, god help us if you go to war:D:D:D

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Hello Tiffy

have you not seen the posts with the dancers, free snap-on tool usage
and loadsa pastries from the local baker

I'm sure they'll start posting as soon as the pies are finished
He's winding you up mate.

There was no dancers.

There was just the free pastries supplied by PDS and free Snap-On tools courtesy of a promotion special sean managed to pull off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems your Avatar is a cap badge, god help us if you go to war:D:D:D
Been there, got the t-shirt etc. They don't take old, fat ex-Armourers any more and I'm not sure I'd want to go to Afganistan as the British Army doesn't have a particularly good track record there :(

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Been there, got the t-shirt etc. They don't take old, fat ex-Armourers any more and I'm not sure I'd want to go to Afghanistan as the British Army doesn't have a particularly good track record there :(
The new defence cuts mean the Armed Forces now have two high ranking officers and they are going to save money by sending the Football hooligans over to sort it out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Been there, got the t-shirt etc. They don't take old, fat ex-Armourers any more and I'm not sure I'd want to go to Afganistan as the British Army doesn't have a particularly good track record there :(
Hey tiffy, looks like its a trade thing for all armourers to look like they wear their bergans on their front:D, both of ours here and their predecessors do and did:D

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Have PMd my mobile. Next time, give me a call and we'll come and find you.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey tiffy, looks like its a trade thing for all armourers to look like they wear their bergans on their front:D, both of ours here and their predecessors do and did:D
It's a natural counter balance to all the heavy spares and stuff you end up carrying in your bergen as well as your normal equipment so you can fix the rifles of the cack-handed....

Alternatively I suspect it's because we spend a largish amount of our time hanging around ranges or sitting on our arses :toothy7:

·
Registered
318 Posts
When you say sitting on the ranges, dont you mean sitting in your warm 110 with the heaters on, drinking hot wets, sorry brews, that comes from working with Royal.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
When you say sitting on the ranges, dont you mean sitting in your warm 110 with the heaters on, drinking hot wets, sorry brews, that comes from working with Royal.
I think they sit behind reinforced bulletproof glass, the latest batch of squaddies have problems with the pointy end of the rifle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish ..... As a good shot and a "spare" pair of hands on th range I usually ended-up either teaching the hopeless "which end is the dangerous end" types to shoot or as safety staff. Even when I managed to avoid these jobs I was usually expected to be out on a range and not sat in my nice warm landy (read drafty as hell and generally not waterproof).

·
Registered
318 Posts
AHHH you must of been serving the same time as me, late 80,s early 90,s.
Them were proper landeys then, with the yellow and red levers for the four wheel drive, canvas roofs, no insulation etc etc etc, not like the ones here that are winterised and waterproofed for Norway, MMMMMMMM very toasty nowadays.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Them were proper landeys then, with the yellow and red levers for the four wheel drive, canvas roofs, no insulation etc etc etc, not like the ones here that are winterised and waterproofed for Norway, MMMMMMMM very toasty nowadays.
I remember the Landys with big serving plates for steering wheels and a2" side to side movement before it had any effect on the Front wheels.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I can remember those landys aswell and the bedford 4 tonners with the canvas backs F**kin freezing to ride in especially in the winter:p

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ahh the bedford MK, MJ. what a giggle, the ratchet hand brake on the right hand side, so when you jumped out with webbing on you knocked the handbrake off, (Left hand drive before you ask).
Or trying to turn the steering wheel, with one foot on the dash and two hands on the wheel pulling, no power steering then was there.
Or camming up in woods, pesky cam net would catch on everything, the biggest temper flarer going that was, and the reason I swapped to Bowser troop to refuel the aircraft, no camming up there due to the fire risk, oohhhh heaven.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Ahh the bedford MK, MJ. what a giggle, the ratchet hand brake on the right hand side, so when you jumped out with webbing on you knocked the handbrake off, (Left hand drive before you ask).
Or trying to turn the steering wheel, with one foot on the dash and two hands on the wheel pulling, no power steering then was there.
Or camming up in woods, pesky cam net would catch on everything, the biggest temper flarer going that was, and the reason I swapped to Bowser troop to refuel the aircraft, no camming up there due to the fire risk, oohhhh heaven.
The handbrake on the side by the door was fun.
The number of new drivers who burned out the clutch on the B3 Towing exercise.
I used to show them the low ratio first gear and leave the cab and walk beside the truck as it happily pulled itself and towed vehicle out of the bog on its own.
The AEC Knocker 6 legger, was the one that took two people to turn the steering wheel, top speed of 25 miles per hour.

·
Registered
318 Posts
AHH HAA the old Knocker, remember them well, I also remember being at Leconsfield doing convoy training in Bedford TMs, anyway we had a flight of A10 thunderbolts (warthogs) that use to use the driver training area as practice for them to attack convoys.
As you lot will know cos youre all old like me the drills on attack from the air was pull off the road and stall stop the truck jump out and take up defensive postions etc etc, Anyway my cab partner, small guy he was done the turn off the road bit done the stall stop and we both jumped from the cab and waited for the A10,s to do their stuff.
Anyhows for some reason both of us decided to look at the wagon only to find it bimbling off on its own accord with no driver, me mate had failed to stall it and it spluttered back into life and merrilly carried on, we hadnt noticed this in the fun of being attacked by these A10,s.
Although being 17 at the time and trying to chase down a runaway truck cross country was fun, well it is now looking back at it.

·
almost human !!!
757 Posts
camming up in woods, pesky cam net would catch on everything, the biggest temper flarer going that was,
This brought back some sad memories. If you thought a bedford was bad, you want to try camming up a chieftain tank, dark o'clock at night wearing your webbing and carrying an SMG. I willing went off to dig the sentry trench.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This brought back some sad memories. If you thought a bedford was bad, you want to try camming up a chieftain tank, dark o'clock at night wearing your webbing and carrying an SMG. I willing went off to dig the sentry trench.
Pffftttt You should try de-camming an MJ in the middle of a hot summer in fully NBC, webbing and weapon (OK it was PLCE not '58 pattern and an L85 not an L1 but it still counts). They rushed a medic over to me as they'd never seen sweat running in a continuous stream from a reperator vioce box before and were sure I was going to have a heart attack ..... bloody young pups. I finished the job and drank about a pint of water and was fine to drive the thing - still in the NBC kit.

Sort of degenerated this thread in to all the old farts swapping war stories :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts