Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking bike to work for a while i noticed few issues.

1 - suspension shot, its like a pogo stick but maybe that me being used to my last few bikes had trick suspension.

2 - wheel bearings shot. at 60mph the front ones whinned like mad, cure for this was to stay at 70mph for 300km.

3 - something is dragging when lean over, i think centre stand drops when i lean over far and scrapes along the ground, anyone seen this before, my springs looks well fooked so maybe thats the iddue.

so got CX bearing today from supplier, 16 euro fro front and rear.

might do the swing arm ones as well. he said SKF are better but nto necessary unless ah very high rpm like most machines are but not wheel bearings.

suspension goign have e sorted once find way pay bills. thinking Kayaba forks from a yz125 (i fitted these in past to my dakar) and lad has a knackered left leg so i will attempt to remove the hangar, fit this to the other forks and have 2 calliper hangars on a set of kayaba forks. then machine up new hangars for the bike

rear shock i dont know. i am thinking even to go ricor intimators instead o USD but they are expensive. ricor shocks look good value but customes screw me and no real dealer here. wilbers base linemodel is 400 euro or 660 euro for their adjustable model with remote hit and low compression. i can reach the spring so no need for remote preload.

so time do some over tiem me thinks

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
After taking bike to work for a while i noticed few issues.

1 - suspension shot, its like a pogo stick but maybe that me being used to my last few bikes had trick suspension.

2 - wheel bearings shot. at 60mph the front ones whinned like mad, cure for this was to stay at 70mph for 300km.

3 - something is dragging when lean over, i think centre stand drops when i lean over far and scrapes along the ground, anyone seen this before, my springs looks well fooked so maybe thats the iddue.

so got CX bearing today from supplier, 16 euro fro front and rear.

might do the swing arm ones as well. he said SKF are better but nto necessary unless ah very high rpm like most machines are but not wheel bearings.

suspension goign have e sorted once find way pay bills. thinking Kayaba forks from a yz125 (i fitted these in past to my dakar) and lad has a knackered left leg so i will attempt to remove the hangar, fit this to the other forks and have 2 calliper hangars on a set of kayaba forks. then machine up new hangars for the bike

rear shock i dont know. i am thinking even to go ricor intimators instead o USD but they are expensive. ricor shocks look good value but customes screw me and no real dealer here. wilbers base linemodel is 400 euro or 660 euro for their adjustable model with remote hit and low compression. i can reach the spring so no need for remote preload.

so time do some over tiem me thinks
I've never heard a wheel bearing whine, normally you just get sideways play and they feel notchey, When my Varadero's shock packed up i got a quote locally and it was over £400 got the same price from david silver but then asked his price for the 3-4 week wait price and it was around £250. My off road bike K-TECH have always rebuilt them for me to custom spec and normally custom setup and service is around £100

Timken, SKF and NSK are the best bearing manufactureres on the market

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for price one sfk bearing i got all the wheel bearings so said will try them out and see how get on

well the noise was nearly identical to the noise got from car bearing when drive it so will change them anyway

cant do any harm

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
for price one sfk bearing i got all the wheel bearings so said will try them out and see how get on

well the noise was nearly identical to the noise got from car bearing when drive it so will change them anyway

cant do any harm
You want to pop the seals out the bearing then pack them with grease and then press the seals back in. They only come with the minimal amount of grease for dry running conditions, by the time you factor in offroading, winter riding and washing/pressure washing they don't last long

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya i usually put half full with grease.

bearings i find can wear fast if too full with grease, what happens is balls are soo full up they dont move and end up burning. they are made to be 1/3 grease for the space internally. this is to allow extreme heat expansion and very high rpm

but i will pop these upadn half fill them up as usually better grease than what manufacturer puts in

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
If the rear shock is bottoming out that will have the effect of dropping the mainstand so this could be your issue with it catching whilst leaning over

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya shock is fecked so time to start saving

well stand springs are nto very strong so it does sag down with any bump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts