Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mate Sidge has had a serious back operation and was going insane indoors. I offered to call in on the way home from work with some DVDs on two consecutive nights. The first night I tried to take a direct cross country route using only a printed out map off the internet, got a little lost and ended up riding lots of interesting lanes that went the wrong way. The second night I had a proper OS map with me and I was bombing along lovely, but failed to notice the word 'ford' on the map in my hurry. I was on a tarmac road only just wide enough for the AT when I turned a corner to be confronted by the ford below (photographed on an earlier ride out on my DR) although this time I arrived at the opposite end shown.

Now unfortunately I stopped just short of the water and the tarmac leading in which has a bit of a slope and is very slippery with algae. I could see the bottom was muddy and it looked quite deep so I decided to turn round and take an alternate parallel lane. When I got off the bike and tried to pull it backwards it was like a skating rink with my feet going everywhere. Instead I decided to turn the front wheel and attempt a 3 point turn. The front wheel just sunk in gravel at the waters edge so I thought f*ck it, I'll have to go through, how bad can it be.

Well it was deep and my back wheel started to sink into the mud about 3/4 of the way through but I got out no problem. What was stupid of me was forgetting that because I wasn't wearing any waterproofs and my goretex socks are so long, I'd rolled them down to ankle length. I had to use my feet when the bike started sinking in the mud so I left the ford with two sloppy bulging bags of water on my feet. As I changed gear, water was squirting out of every part of my boots and my feet weighed a ton.

I emptied my boots and socks (in front of my mates curious neighbours) but still manged to leave puddles all over my mates kitchen floor. At least he appreciated the DVDs! His girlfriend, who is an avid horse rider, said the water came up to her horse's belly this winter and her horse is humongous, so looks like I got off lightly. still felt a **** though:D

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
I promise as son as i got my @ i will come and visit you:D
you just seem to have the coolest play ground at your front door:confused2::confused2::confused2::confused2:

·
Good Moaning
525 Posts
Seems like we´re all having problems from riding near water today, my shoulders are a bit sunburned from finding a secluded river beach today, yes, life´s hard :cool:

Drenched my boots on purpose to cool off :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts