Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, my dial gauges won't help with this one!
Can you give me some pointers how to fill these holes.
I'm not too worried about the round ones. They had 22mm pipes throught them so are about an inch across.
The bigger holes, well a couple of them you could get your fist through.
Due to the odd shape of some, I'm not sure what to use.
Try to find some hard core maybe. As I'll be using polyfilla, probably, to finish them off, I'm not going to use expanding foam.
Actually, I'm unsure of the best method of filling these sizes of holes.
Okay, they go right through to the next cupboard, that is they are open, not dead ended.
What would you suggest?
Cheers for any input, stuck my torque wrench in there with a couple of spanners, but didn't help:D
hole.jpg

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
tape some cardboard on the back of the holes and fill them with mix of sand a cement. - then fill over with Easyfill.

or exapanding foam and a knife (although you dont want to do this route.)

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
You could invite a Dutch boy to come and stick his finger in it.

·
BLUE 1999 xrv750x
730 Posts
Thanks for that ROvers, I just didn't know if expanding foam would shrink and cause cracking.
expanding foam would be the easiest.... give it a copule of days to set rock hard though before painting..

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ROver, just had a quick read of the foam and it looks like the right stuff. I was thinking it would break down.
I'll give it a try before the other sarcy buggers give me more crazy suggestions.;)
Thanks again.
John

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Right, my dial gauges won't help with this one!
Can you give me some pointers how to fill these holes.
I'm not too worried about the round ones. They had 22mm pipes throught them so are about an inch across.
The bigger holes, well a couple of them you could get your fist through.
Due to the odd shape of some, I'm not sure what to use.
Try to find some hard core maybe. As I'll be using polyfilla, probably, to finish them off, I'm not going to use expanding foam.
Actually, I'm unsure of the best method of filling these sizes of holes.
Okay, they go right through to the next cupboard, that is they are open, not dead ended.
What would you suggest?
Cheers for any input, stuck my torque wrench in there with a couple of spanners, but didn't help:D
View attachment 15881

You could pay an out of work IT technician (like me) to come and do it?

:p

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Trouble is expanding foam gets everywhere. Or it does when I use it!

An alternative is; you could make the holes larger, stick a piece of plasterboard on the back with dry wall adhesive, when bonded fill with more dry wall adh or sand/ cement etc & plaster/ polyfilla finish when dry.

Phil
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I've spoken to a friend of mine called Seamus, and he recommends demolishing the house and starting again. He also mentioned that he just happens to be finishing a job right now, and could start on Monday. Any good??!!!!??

:grin:

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suppose I could use sections of your @ frame to fill the round holes, but I don't want that much rust in my house:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Alternatively;

Go to the local DIY and get a small bag of pre-mixed sand & cement.

Mix it in a bucket using an old trowel or even a wallpaper scraper.

Mix it thoroughly and slowly, not using too much water at all. You want a fairly dryish (not sloppy) mix.

Get the missus to hold a board on the opposite side of the wall, and insert your sand cement in t'other side, using your trowel/scraper

30 mins tops... Job done!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
P.S.

I still think it looks like a Glory Hole. It gives me some insight into what you rural dwellers get upto on quiet winter evenings!!

:mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts