Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your thoughts please:

I tend to regard filtering as the most hazardous thing I do on the bike on day to day basis, generally speaking. I reckon there's any number of ways it can go wrong with consequences ranging from the embarrassing to the painful. So, although I subscribe to the I don't have enough wheels to sit in traffic theory, I don't push my luck. That means if the cars are moving at more than (say 10-15mph) I tend to keep to my current position and if I'm coming up to a pedestrian crossing (i.e. in that zone marked by zig-zags) I don't filter. So my question is; am I being a bit of a mincer? The reason I ask was that I pulled in to let a GSX-R pilot past me today after I'd come to a crossing and he went blasting right by, over the crossing (in fairness there was no-one near it) and to the front of the queue.

Come to think of it; if it's a round about I don't even tend to go right to the front (crossing or not) as I've found that pulling in two or three cars back means I avoid the irate sales-rep reaction of trying to race. Anyone else do this?

Your thoughts/comments/advice/ridicule please gentlemen!

S

·
0 Posts
I'm exactly the same. I won't sit in a queue if I can safely get past but I don't like squeezing through small gaps/pissing off oncoming traffic etc. On the motorway I only filter when the speed drops well below the limit.

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Yep, me too, although I do have the occassional bad/mad moment.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Me to. As a ex Police rider said to me make progress. I filter all the time, but only slightly faster than the traffic I am overtaking. Have had one Bloke at work killed going past traffic at 40 MPH, he was blamed not the tw*t who pulled out in front of him. In the Summer morons on sports bikes are always trying to show me how to overtake on the zigzags and on corners where I have seen many accidents.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I always filter. I will squeeze through most gaps I can find.
However I'm very cautious when I've not filtered on a road before.
The most dangerous times filtering for me are when I've got a cold or for some reason I'm not concentrating properly. To me to filter properly requires 110% concentration, anything less and I can make mistakes which is as Paul has said can be quite literally fatal.
However I have developed a 6th sense on the roads that I know and I think that I can filter quickly and safely when I concentrate fully. I can anticipate what other road users are doing and avoid them. I know the roads so well that I know when drivers will be looking to pull back in to the left lane, pull out in to the right. Occassionally there's one though that doesn't know where they're going but again I tend to spot them by the way they act and give them a wide berth. I tend to get what I would term as being in "the zone" where I'm the flow and moving slickly and hopefully safely through the traffic.
I do tend to go too fast though and I've found myself filtering at 40 when traffic around me is say doing 20 - 30. This is too fast IMHO and I do try to limit myself to 20 or so.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I do filter when I can but only if it's "safe" to do so.
If the traffic is moving at a reasonable pace then I will stick with it.

The only time I might take a slight risk is if i'm stuck behind a van.
Not being able to look through a van winds me up. I am happy to sit behind a car because I am still aware and can see all the road ahead.

Vans and lorries do nothing but slow you down and completly block some, or all, of your forward vision. And if the roads are wet then they cover you in shit from the road as a bonus.

I will not tear down the outside of slow or staitionary traffic at high speed because that is where you are going to come a cropper big time.

I expect cage drivers to do the most stupid of things and the amount of times this has proved to be the case frightens me and keeps me sensible.

I also have the unfortunate job of having to pick up the pieces when it goes wrong for bikers.

Keep shiny side up peeps.

Jon :bounce:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hmm ... tricky one. What's 'too fast'? With a daily commute either into, or through London, filtering is a must have. If I'm going to sit in a traffic jam, I may as well get a Gold Wing.

I am guilty of pushing to the front of a queue at traffic lights, but I do tend to operate a couple of provisos on this - first, you get used to the phasing of lights, so you get to know whether you can make it in front of the first car, squeeze between the bollard, and not have him pull away over you, mid-manouvre. Second, at many lights, you can see the 'other' set, so if they're changing to red, and you're still 3 cars away, it probably ain't worth it busting a gut to get to the front.

As for filtering, I try to maximise the safety aspect of it, one of which is getting to the front of the traffic light queue, which then gives you a clear view. Different roads call for different appraoches, as does the speed of the moving traffic. The faster the traffic is flowing, the less likely someone is going to make a 'sharp' manouvre. Filtering on one way systems/dual carriageways gets around the 'taxi u-turn' stunt, whereas filtering through Kilburn/A5 requires total concentration. Too many bad drivers, parked lorries, vacant lemmings crossing the road to go to Matalan, [email protected] road surface, leaking manhole covers ... the list is endless.

If there is a filtering nut behind me, I'll let him past, and likewise, if there is a wobbler doing 1 mph more than the traffic, I hope he'll do the same for me.

At the end of the day, as someone else on here has said, you tend to get in the 'zone'. I have lots of days when I don't have a close shave, no panic braking etc, and then I have other days when it's all at the point of going pear-shaped. I think this all depends on how alert I really am (rather than how alert I feel). Also, I have confidence crisis moments when I think to myself that I feel a crash could be on the cards today - extreme caution is then deployed to a) make sure I arrive in one piece, and b) it helps the confidence and gives a quick reality check, rather than thinking 'it won't happen to me'.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Landandy,
Sounds like you ride just like me !
I'm rarely sitting in queue , I can do that in a car :colors:

When does filters become white lining ? Going to work I use a wide main road ( bypass with roundabouts and no nasty right turns ) in which the traffic is queued up or traveling at around 40-50 . I will overtake them but normally 1-3 at time depending on oncoming traffic/road condition etc .
The key I find is to use the @ presence and some just move over /out of the way and are given a wave. For the ones that don't I just wait for my chance ....
Northy

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
As Landyandy above.

If it's on a regular commuting route then you soon work out when and where you can get to the front. Make sure you're in first as you reach the head of the queue incase the lights go green.

Watch out for gaps in the traffic on both sides - someone is probably letting another out.

Be ready for pedestrians stepping out between stationary traffic - they'll assume NOTHING is moving as they stride out with their headphones on.

Black cabs U-turn VERY sharply. I've driven one and the steering lock is amazing.

If you get knocked off when filtering you will have a tough time winning any insurance battles - I've learnt this from experience and only won because the cager's account was wishy-washy.

Yes the A5 from Marble Arch to Kilburn is a 'mare as it's basically the 'Lebanese' part of town - would you filter in the Lebanon?!?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I'll filter when the need arises, which isn't much in Shropshire. It usually happens on the motorway when the traffic slows to a crawl. I try and keep the relative speed differential down to about 15mph to try and give myself a bit of a chance if a muppet leaves his lane. I've never had a mishap, although I've had plenty of folk (including one HGV) move right over in order to block off the gap.

My induction to filtering was many years ago in my spotty yoof, on my first trip to the continent. I went to visit a friend in central Paris, and ended up on the Peripherique. Imagine 4 narrow lanes of fast moving traffic, with hungover Frenchies at the wheel. There I was wobbling along with a rucksack bungeed to the back of my 350, when 3 trail bikes came thundering up through the traffic. It was like a magical parting of the waves, so I tucked in behind them and offered my life to the gods. They seemed to get through impossibly narrow gaps, and then when the gap was too narrow, up came a boot and off would come a wing mirror. A real eye opener! Unfortunately by the time I got back to Blighty I was riding like a lunatic with a deathwish...

·
Registered
282 Posts
filtering

Just to add my ten pence worth, as paul I think made reference to, good bike driving is to make steady progress and use filtering as a means to this end. Filtering should only be carried out when it is safe to do so, ie when you are no putting yourself or others in danger. If you make any other vehicle change direction or speed or where you as a rider have to react quickly in a non smooth progression then you are being hazardous. As for car drivers, they will not anticipate you being there, and therefore filtering can be a hazard. Im all for filtering and no two days on the same road are the same. As my dad told me when I was learning, treat everyone on the road as an idiot and 99% of the time you will be right. As for filtering to the front of the lights..............absolutely :cheers:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I forgot to mention in my earlier post - drivers in London as a rule of thumb are much more bike aware than when I'm in Kent. All too often do I see people in Kent practically drive into the hedges in order to be helpful.

I do make a point of saying thanks (via a glove) when someone deliberately moves out of the way, and also adopt an appropriate scowl when someone deliberately doesn't.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeap,
In Kent some are sooooo helpful you think they are going to crash and others who move over after you've past them !
I lot drivers even recognise you ie same route, same time, every day ! :banghead:

However I noticed a nasty thing the other day, queue of traffic , car moves over ....OK .... then moves back again ... Not OK ... get past then notice that hes on his bloody MOBILE PHONE ! ! :mumum: :knob: etc etc

Should have seen it ...... so don't be fooled there all idiots out there

Northy

·
Registered
349 Posts
Still see lots of people on phones. It always surprises me when I can hear chatting beside me at the traffic lights and find that there's a scooter rider having a hands free chat!

A

·
0 Posts
Here, filtering is not really illegal, it is also not legal. Therefore it is allowed. This often gives long hassles when it comes to insurances etc when it does go wrong.
Fortunately not had that pleasure myself (only nearly...).

Me thinks that over here the "canned" people are getting more and more used to, and more friendly to motorcyclists. A few years ago, the cans would drive more closely when seeing a bike, or open doors etc. These days (touch wood) they certainly give more way to us.

But every day there is that particular w*nker.... Some idiots just don't seem to get it....

Drive safely, drive your own safe speed. Don't get excited by others, especially the racy types... :geek:

Tijn

·
Registered
100 Posts
Watched a guy two up go down my local high street on the wrong side of the road, traffic was almost stationary but he was passing the local weatherspoons so it was posing time, and that meant he had to show off his race pipe which meant he was doing around 40, when a child stepped out in front of him, not sure exactly waht happened but they helped the child off the street, he did seem ok

My thoughts, there but for the grace of god!!!!!!!!

Yes i do filter, as much and as often as i can but only when "I" think its safe but if i am honest, one day, my safe may not be safe

Stay lucky people

Sie

·
Registered
269 Posts
I filter most of the time. Thats the advantage of owning a bike. When i was a motorbike courier is was always in a hurry and trafficjams en stoplights where a nuisance. And like africatijn says, its allowed over here.
With some rules. Typically dutch. Its illegal but we allow it but only if you do it by some rules we thought up. I got knocked off once while filtering. A woman drive thought that the lane on the left was moving faster and turned sharply towards that lane. Only i was coming through. Missed her,missed the barrier,missed a other car,then the bike highsided me. Broke a thumb and had some fairingdamage on my FZR600. Must say that the last couple of years the cardriver seem to pay better attention. It gets better. Still some morons on the road that think they own the road though. Years ago some will try to block you off while filtering, thinking, if i am stuck so are you, but haven't seen that for a while now.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Getting an AT and going on a police organised riding course was an eye opener regarding filtering. The AT gives excellent visibility - seeing over the tops of cars as well as being seen. Also seeing the police rider filter gave me a lot more confidence when doing it myself.

Filtering on a sports bike was like a leap of faith and always send my heart racing. The AT is miles safer to filter so I do it most of the time.

As for filtering on the zig-zag lines before pedestrian crossings - as far as I remember it's legal to filter on it, so long you don't overtake the first car stopped on the crossing. Not sure how it changes if the car starts moving though. I'd say - filter only if it's safe and you have clear visibility. As it was mentioned before - assume that 99% of drivers and pedestrians are blind and deaf and are incapable of making sober decisions.

But honestly - what's the point of riding a bike in town if you can't filter? A mate of mine went to Oz and told me of bikes waiting in the heat behind cars. That's definitely wrong :sleepy3:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't filter - as someone said, that's one of the things you get to do when you own a bike! I was just wondering how the average @/'alp rider went about it.

Another thing I do is to make a point of letting cars out from side junctions if I've been nipping through traffic and have rejoined the queue if it starts moving again. That way, when it all grinds to a halt again (as it will!) the car in front should at least be aware I'm there and will usually feel obliged to make a bit of room for me to slip by!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts