Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bought a Dremel to cut the chain off my bike before replacing with a new one. While doing this I was amazed how well the small Dremel performed. I started thinking about a Hatton Garden style raid, cutting through a safe full of money but decided thats not really me or appropriate!

So what else can I do with my Dremel? I have a spare engine partially in bits. I intend to clean this up when I have the funds to rebuild (could be years)
I thought I could polish some of the ali bits on my Dominator. I certainly need to clean up some of the rust.

Any recommendations on things to do with this tool, any good bits worth buying for it etc.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Id like a dremel very handy tool but its one of those tools i cannot bare to hold when its running its like dragging your nails down a chalk board to me. Got an air powered die grinder to try cant hold that either :(

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
if you're ever passing carboots, keep your eye open for packs of bits, the cutting discs are common, different types of grinding ends always come in handy, as they can wear pretty quickly depending on what the project is. I've gone through 2 dremmels over the years, & went for the cheapies after that until i found a Performance Pro rotary trim cutter, big chunky thing, 750w variable motor with a long flex extension with the tooling grip at the end. It came in a big cube carrycase box that becomes my seat/stool. Only paid a tenner, best 1 i've used/owned. grinding ends a "must" & keep the angle straight when using cutting discs (just a pain to keep replacing the disc)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Try and get hold of the flexible lead thing, goes from the tool body to the business end. Very useful and makes for more accurate work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought a cheap and cheerful Dremelesque to do some fairing repairs - worked a treat.

And the frying pan's gonna get a good working over one of these days.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well mine was great the other night when I came home to find the bathroom door had decided to lock itself and we didn't have the key!

5 minutes or less with the little cutting wheel and I was relieved to gain entry :)

Definitely glad I bought one!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My downstairs toilet did that the other day. Thank God my daughter didn't get locked in she would have gone mental. She really wouldn't have worked out how to open it from that side. Luckily I got a kitchen knife, well two and managed to move the bolt thing back enough to open the door. In future if need be I will keep the Dremel to hand.

To be honest everything I have used it on so far has been a bit of a let down apart from cutting my old chain off. Cleaning things with the brass attachments just kills the bristles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts