Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After years of waiting (and converting my Transalp to as close to a RD04 as possible) I've finally got an RD03 here in the States.

It's an early one with 0000996 serial number and looks to have come from Germany through the hands of my friend and collector/restorer, screen name "Ujeni".

Starting the restoration procedures and looking at the headlamps. There are the old 35 W BA20D nacelle but I don't have any sockets or wiring.

I'd rather like to keep the bike as original as possible but maybe upgrade to LED bulbs that are now available.

BUT

I have no idea what those sockets look like or how they mount to the nacelle or headlight shell. Is there really a spring involved??

If anyone has photos it would be greatly appreciated. Or even better, If anyone has the sockets and wiring (NLA from Honda) lying about in a shed, I'd gladly buy it.

As always - any assistance thankfully accepted.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hello and congratulations on the RD03. I have attached (hopefully) a couple of pictures. These are from an Italian import RD04 with 35Watt bulb holders, no relays so I suspect the same as yours. There is indeed a spring which holds them in place combined with a small metal tab.
The lights are left over from a rally conversion. Let me know if any use to you. Cheers Jon

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick reply. The photo explains it all. Are you willing to sell those parts?

All I really need is the wiring, sockets, springs, bulbs etc. Basically everything connected to the wires. Alreadyhave the frame, lenses etc that are in pretty good nick, but will buy those also if part of your offer.

Shipping would be less expensive if it were only the wiring.

Let me know if you'd like to sell and the price you want.

Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To determine the viability of this project, I started with the engine. I wanted to determine if the engine had to come out of the frame, or if there were good enough data to leave it alone and concentrate on all the other systems.

The engine hadn't been started in some years. I started by first spinning the engine by hand through the left side case.....everything moved as it should. Valve rockers were moving and air was being pulled through the carbs.

Next step was to do a "dry" compression test. I wanted to see what the compression was like before circulating oil through the engine. I installed a battery and spun the engine with the starter motor. Compression was 155psi front - 157psi rear.....encouraging.

I then injected 5cc of engine oil into the spark plug holes and changed oil and oil filter. Spun the engine on the starter motor with plugs out until I saw the oil pressure light go out and saw oil coming up into the cylinder heads and running down those nice ramps onto the intake valve springs.

Repeated the compression test and got 185 on both front and rear cylinder. So rings are sealing well but nor perfectly. After sitting for a long period, I wasn't expecting perfection.

The carbs were then removed, opened and cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner. Float valves and all O-rings were replaced. Both slide/diaphragms were replaced and the carbs reinstalled.

Yesterday, the "moment of truth". Added fuel and pushed the button. Results are what you see here:

The smoke stopped after about 90 seconds of running. I expected that since I had oil on top of the pistons and had also pushed oil out into the exhaust pipes when spinning the engine to confirm oil pressure.

There are no water leaks and the carbs are now synced. The engine seems happy. Oh....the fuel pump is even ticking away.

Well pleased so far.

Cooling system is next.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Congrats Ray on your new RD03. It's been a quite a few years now since we met at the North American Africa Twin Summit 2010 in Oregon.
Those were good times. :) It might be time for another one as it seems like their are more of these classics arriving in N.A. I retire next year so
I just might have the time to go. :p

Enjoy your rebuild...and keep the pics coming.

i-wL7Wqr7-X2.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hiya Wayne :hello2:

Still got the green 750? Hope so. Love that bike.

Still playing with lots of needle bearings and grease today.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
The AT is still my trusty steed with just over 100K kms now. Hope to add to that when I retire. The Transalp import from Germany is up for sale though. It's
not getting used like I thought it would so I'm letting it go. Ok...carry on with the rebuild. :p

i-NcnRbt9-X2.jpg

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
That was an old pic. :D Cracks were stop drilled/lockwired with some 3M tape applied either side and then covered with 2 part epoxy. A black Sharpie pen was perfect to match the dark smoke. :p
I tried to source that tall MRA dark smoke screen and was unable to find one...anywhere. I'm happy with the repair.

Before.

i-gRjhR6r-X2.jpg

After.

i-HrCrX22-X2.jpg

I then stuck a road map of the mountains to the inside. :cool:
Big mosquitos in the N.W.T...aka mozzies in the U.K.

i-VM5X95C-X2.jpg

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Nice repair. How do you like the Karoos?
They wore down fast...real fast. Probably because they were on hot tarmac most of the time. Ok on the trails. I wouldn't buy
a Karoo 3 again. Pic is after one summer. Might be 5k kms.

i-znRkrdK-XL.jpg

I now run the Mitas. Cheap to buy and longer lasting.

i-cgkkT3k-XL.jpg

I don't want to turn this into a tire thread. :p

Ok... back to your rebuild Ray.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Nah...not for me...It's used already. :p Seriously though, it's beautiful from the pics. Makes you wonder if their could be issues when the owner starts
it up after sitting for 30 years.

Condition:

Used

“This bike was never started and has never had any fuel in the fuel tank, it is practically a new ”

1 - 20 of 20 Posts