Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in May I posted about my noisy water pump and the tappet sounding noise it made from cold. I tried new coolant as suggested, no joy, noise still there.

I decided to monitor it and see if it got any worse, which it did, gradually. On Saturday I set about taking the pump apart to inspect the insides, expecting to have to fit the cheap secondhand replacement I got off Ebay. After getting the pump cover off I could try turning the impeller and sure enough there was a little click when turning from one direction to the other. Only to be expected I thought as it is driven from the back of the oil pump by a slot in it's drive shaft.

I pulled the pump out of the engine slightly to disengage it from the oil pump and it turned smoothly in both directions. So I put it back engaged 180 degrees from the way it was and reassembled everything.

After refilling and starting it up there was no ticking noise from the pump. :confused:

Fingers crossed it stays that way!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Good luck, hopefully that was the real reason for the problem.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It does seem odd that - on the face of it - by not doing very much, the problem has gone away.

It may be that your original "ticking" noise was cavitation in the pump. Draining the coolant, thereby freeing entrapped air, may have alleviated the cavitation... Just a thought - happens quite often in pumps.

Mark

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Still quiet this morning too, but it's a bit frustrating not knowing for sure what was causing the noise. Makes me think it could come back anytime......

For now though I am rejoicing in the silence. :thumbright:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts