Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully :iconbiggrin:
This morning, I finished putting the calipers back on. I've been using the bike between all the jobs, but this was the last listed job to do.
So, even though I bought the bike, running, from a dealer a year and a half ago, here's a synopsis of things done. I won't list all of them downwards, as it would be too much!!!!
Just finished fitting new disks, hoses, plus on one side, new brake psitons, seals etc - had pulsating through brake lever.
New guides and unleaded seats plus exhaust valves.
Replacement SS exhaust system - S/H from Motorworks.
Replacement bevel drive, due to stripped threads - old bevel will be refurbed.
High bars for comfort - had them in the shed.
Fitted Surefoot side stand - marvellous :thumbup: S/H from Motorworks.
Replaced missing swinging arm nut cover, replaced missing rubber from gear lever, missing screw from master cylinder, replaced missing tool tray, fitted Odyssey battery, condensor, plugs, leads, air filter, oils etc.
Fitted later R80, 38mm carbs.... These improve starting... the choke now works like a proper choke.
Stripped and cleaned fuel tap to cure leak.
Secured fuel tank filler cap with dowels - cannot be locked, but removes from tank properly now.
Replaced leaking fork seals and fitted gaitors to protect stanchions.
New tank and seat badges.
Rub n Buffed engine and wheels
New throttle cables and a choke cable.
Replaced manifold rubbers.
Fuel hoses.
Removed old fairing and fitted headlamp, indicators and bracket.
Fitted heated grips
There's probably a bunch of stuff I've missed and I've still got a handlebar fairing to fit --- SEE!!! --- I haven't finished yet! :iconbiggrin:
Here's a couple of pictures from today after a brake shake down run
R65side.jpg R65.jpg

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys.

Yes Thunder. It took me a while to switch off my heavy flywheel head. It felt so different to ride from my old R80 and R100.

It's still exactly the same as all Boxers to work on, but the ride is more revvy. I was used to everything under 3-4K rpm, now I use 4-5 a lot.

I love riding it and it brings a smile. With the bars on it, I tried it on a soil packed road and it handled beautifully.

As I love standard swinging arms rather than one sided, I might hold out for another or maybe another R80 in place of the Trannie. The Trannie is a great bike and very good, but I am passionate about Airheads.

I mention the single sided swinging arm due to the fact that mine collapsed on holiday in Spain on my R850GS; quite scary!

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the before and after tank badges
badges.jpg

Don't tell Thunder, but I didn't repaint the frame!!!!
I just treated it with ACF, hand painted the down tubes at the front... I can hear Thunder pulling his hair out; probably even you Kjell:D:D:D
Love mechanics, but crap at painting. If I could paint as easy as buying a stainless bolt, well..........

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
... I can hear Thunder pulling his hair out; probably even you Kjell :D:D:D
That has to be the hair from my nostrils then, since the hair on my head seems leave by it self. ;)

I've once handpainted the frame on a CB1100R, and it actually turned out quite well.
I used Tixotropic paint and a brush and it flowed really well. One could hardly tell that it was handpainted.

·
Registered
307 Posts
:cool:

Do not belittle the job john it looks good and its amasing what a new badge will do to a tank, and do not worry about painting practice makes perfect, I did my K100LT frame and it looks the biz and Motorworks are brill at secondhand parts.

BIG D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
40 minute's and no sign of the old thread police :lol: grand old bikes to ride the air head boxers when their going . I had a 1981 r100t it was very therapeutic going along at 40mph on a quite road of a hot summers evening . I should have kept it and learnt how to fettle it myself . but if I had I probably wouldn't have bought my transalp so im glad I did really . the enjoyment I got from my transalp is collosile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts