Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work as a sculptor, mostly to comission and I seem to get a lot of the weird jobs. They are also my favourites.
Can you make a sculpture of a grand Piano, full sized.
'Of course' is always my response, followed by panicking.
Anyway we agreed a price, the lady was happy for to make it up as I go and did not need drawings or plans. Always a good thing as plans rarely work out in the end.
Finished it yesterday.
The frame is made of 30x5mm mild steel strip all bent cold by hand. Bloody murder making the long curves.
First pic shows igor my halfwit assistant playing his Symphony for The Unarmed Man
Igor requiem for the unarmed man..JPG piano finished 002.JPG piano finished 001.JPG
The second and third show it from the sides.
I was getting worried about weight and stability a week ago, but I can move it in pieces and assembl it by myself and it does not wobble.
A massive relief all round.
Now we are mulling over the finish, let it rust or galvanize it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
What does the client want, rust finish or matt black ?
Either way an amazing piece of art there Chunk, nice one, how long did it take to create ?
Thanks for sharing, your assistant looked armless enough !

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Thats bloody clever, and good work there:thumbright:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Great work

Please post up any more as you do them

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Really, really nice work Chunk. Beautiful in my opinion, but I love good metal work.

Hammerite anyone? Mind, good quality galvanised that has aged a bit looks pretty good to me. ;)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took just under three weeks, and was a relief to get it finished.
Finish? she is not sure, and neither am I.
I like the natural rusty look, and it can look great when varnished over the rust, also a very durable finish strangely enough.
or it could be galvanized, aahh, decisions decisions.
I am going to leave it outside and she can think about it as it rusts, if she decides to galvanize it that is no problem as it goes for a swim in a massive acid tank.
Below is a Seahorse done in varnish over rust.
. shiny seahorse smallpic.jpg
Loads more on my my website metal sculpture for home and garden commissions undertaken - www.artinsteel.co.uk

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
those are amazing, i have just been on your website all very impressive stuff :thumb:

true talent :thumbup:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is in tune with Walk Like A Giant off Neil Youngs new album*, resonates beautifully when the music is cranked up.
Glad you like my stuff.
*Psychedelic Pill, Crazy Horse and mega guitars.

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Briliant, i reckon you and my late father in law would have got on well most of his stuff was made from scrap though
I:E this bits of old farm machinery and a steel oil tank

31817_1306415667167_3333939_n.jpg

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stonecrazy, that looks interesting, I think old scrap metal works well in the right hands, like that one.
Andy the swans? Walenty Pytel is the local big cheese artist, I have my eye on his crown.
The fish on the link are about 50 yards from my front door.
His stuff is ok, but a bit formulaic in my book.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Just had a look on your site too

Great stuff

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Love the seahorse especially, but it's all great stuff. Real talent there :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Some really nice stiff there. I'm impressed

1 - 20 of 27 Posts