Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
hoping somebody can point me in the right direction to cure an irritating fault;

1987 600 transalp

always fires up on just the rear pot

sometimes the front kicks in after a minute or two but normally I end up riding off down the road for half a mile or so before it decides to join in.

yesterday it was more reluctant so I was bimbling along at 5000 revs on my 300 single when the front pot chimed in, nice wheelie, but on balance I'd like to avoid it happening again.

cheers

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
This regularly crops up on older Alps.
The seat presses on the cdi and they fail.
Swap them over, if it happens on the other cylinder & the revcounter stops working, you'll be needing a replacement.

Phil

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mucho thanks Phil,

just swapped them over and she fired up on two immediately,

of course she does this very occasionally anyway just to confuse me but the signs are good.

Would the cure be as simple as trimming a little off the mounting lugs to allow them to sit a little lower?

Certainly hope so because that's what I've just done, it doesn't drop them much because of course the air box is in the way but I've angled the bottom towards the rear guard slightly and it's dropped them a few mill.

Maybe if I ate less pies the seat would have adequate clearance?

:)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Mucho thanks Phil,

just swapped them over and she fired up on two immediately,

of course she does this very occasionally anyway just to confuse me but the signs are good.

Would the cure be as simple as trimming a little off the mounting lugs to allow them to sit a little lower?

Certainly hope so because that's what I've just done, it doesn't drop them much because of course the air box is in the way but I've angled the bottom towards the rear guard slightly and it's dropped them a few mill.

:)
there is a revised Horizontal mount from Honda

Known Problems

great site for TAs

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update,
as previously stated, bike fired up immediately on two, but I didn't have time to ride it till today,,,,,,,,,
fired up no problem this morning but as I pulled off my drive it dropped onto 1,,,, and no tacho, bugger!
Turned around as soon as I could and as I rolled back onto my drive the other pot chimed in,,,,,,,,,,,,
so turned around and off up the road again only to loose the 2nd pot almost as soon as I left my drive.
I guess she just didn't want me to go off and get stranded somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,
anyway, thanks for the advice,,, new cdi ordered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts