Honda XRV Forum banner

Where would you prefer to do the course?

• Oxford

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • London

Votes: 6 50.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Bike on Scene is coordinated by the Northwest Ambulance Service, but they run courses all over the country. I've wanted to do this course for some time, and I've put the details at the bottom.

So, I'm going to attempt to organise a course for us in the south of the country (someone up north can do the same if they wish). Please vote on the poll, and I'll decide which venue I'll get the details for.

Of course, this is early days, no idea when it might be, or how much.

The blurb from the site:

Who is the course for?
Recommended for anyone who rides a motorcycle, or wishes to administer first aid or manage the initial scene of a road traffic incident. The First Bike on Scene™course has beenspecifically designed to provide the knowledge and skills needed to deal with the initialmanagement of a patient involved in a road traffic accident. Bikers are encouraged to give casualties necessary basic life support in the event of an accident whilst waiting for emergency services to arrive.
Minimum Entry Requirements:
16+ years of age.
Certification:
Certificate of Competency. The course is approved and certificate issued by The Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. Certificate is valid for two years.
Duration:
One Day.
Class Size:
Student / Instructor ratio of 12:1.
Who delivers it?
Commercial Ambulance Instructor.
Description:
The course instructs the students to:
  1. Understand Trauma and the mechanism of injury.
  2. Understand how to protect the scene and snatch rescue.
  3. Demonstrate Basic Life Support.
  4. Understand the correct procedures for spinal management.
  5. Demonstrate the correct procedure for removing a crash helmet.

·
Matron
12,080 Posts
I think you will find they are about £70 - 100 per person.

If there is an interest in this then I am more than willing to arrange something in the Wales area for you guys at no charge. There will obviously be no certificate but I can teach you the skills you want to know.

It is an excellent idea any first aid is good first aid

Stickied it too

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi Sharri

I would be interested in this too, I saw it advertised in our local free paper but I was away when the event was being held

Regards

Paul

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
i would be interested too:cool:

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
Me too, ideally in the Spring as very busy at mo.

Good skills to have.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Right - for the London/Southern crew, Ive just got off the phone to Alick Wheeler of Aline associates. Theyve run First aid for bikers for TVAM in the past. He can organise a course for us in Slough:

Cost £350

Venue: Slough

When: any saturday with 2 weeks notice

How Many - Minimum 6 , max 12 - 10 makes it 35 quid each.

How Long: full day = 6 hours

Area's covered:

Scene management
Bleeding
Fractures
Casualty assessment
Helmet removal
Spinal injuries management
Helmet removal - when to and how
Role play and exercises
etc etc etc

Sooooooooo - can we muster up 10 to 12 people?

Start putting your hands up now with ideas of dates and I'll get back to him.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Like merry bombs, I am happy to drop on Slough. After Christmas or before?

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Whatever suits you guys - all I need is an agreed date so I can give him at least 2 weeks notice. Might be worth leaving till mid january as things are starting to pile up for some, but as long as we can muster a crew any sat is fine with me. You guys shout the dates that best.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
OK. I suggest 9 Jan. Then we can all make it our New Year's Resolution to do a first aid course and can tick it off just 9 days into the New Year. :D
Much easier than giving up drinking.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
OK. I suggest 9 Jan. Then we can all make it our New Year's Resolution to do a first aid course and can tick it off just 9 days into the New Year. :D
Much easier than giving up drinking.
Thats good for me :D

We need 4/8 more : can I have a show of hands from the back please :D

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
To make things easier Im happy to do the booking and people can settle up with me on the day - more expedient that way: So if you sign up BE SURE you're attending or you may have to pay for you place regardless - my credit card 2 weeks after christmas will be seriously struggling for air :D

·
Serial Scenic Router
1,369 Posts
I'm interested but too far north!?:(

Can I have the contact details please?;)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alpslapper good on ya mate, to be honest with the lack of response to the poll I'd thought there wasn't much interest.

Interestingly the Swindon RoSPA group have a course on 23rd Feb, anyone want to come to that one?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts