Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just come back from my first big trip on a bike, my TA700. Went with my dad to the Pre65 Scottish trial in Kinlochleven near Fort William. I loved it and can't wait till my next trip.
Set off on the Thursday from Lincoln up the A1, over the windy A66 and then met up with my dad on his trusty 1985 R80GS near Carlisle on the M6. Through Glasgow and up the side of Loch Lomond and then over Rannoch Moor. Fuel gauge had started flashing by then (second tank) so was relieved to fill up in Glen Coe before carring on to Fort William. It did 65mpg on that leg and 62mpg on the whole trip so happy with that.

Friday we went over the Mamore Road to Kinlochleven, a 10 mile long track round the back of the Mamore range south of Ben Nevis. Quite rocky in places, my dad and his mate Blackie 'cleaned' the whole track in the trials sense. Not bad for two 'lads' in thier 70's but they are veterans of the Scottish six days trial in the 1960's! Anyway, we must have looked a motley bunch to the hikers finishing the Highland way, my dad on his old BMW, me on my new TA and Blackie on his Honda Innova 125!

Mamore Road.

Spectated for a few hours at the famous 'Pipeline' section near Kinlochleven then returned by road.

'Pipeline'.

On the Saturday watched a few more sections then headed south through Glen Coe in the rain.

Glen Coe.

Stayed over in the lovely little town of Kirkby Stephen on Saturday night then had a blast back through the dales on Sunday, taking in Tan Hill and the Buttertubs pass.

Buttertubs Pass.

A great little four day trip covering 900 miles and most weathers. Bike was fantastic and I know I made the right choice with the TA. It's not perfect at anything but its pretty good at everything. It's also a rare beast. There were hundreds of bikes around in Fort William and I bet one in five were BMW GS's. Common as muck!

John

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Nice picks and completely agree with the BMW comment.

You need to point me in the direction of the 'track'.

Cheers

Friday we went over the Mamore Road to Kinlochleven, a 10 mile long track round the back of the Mamore range south of Ben Nevis. Quite rocky in places, my dad and his mate Blackie 'cleaned' the whole track in the trials sense.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/photopost/data/500/Scotland_Apr10_010.JPG
http://www.xrv.org.uk/photopost/data/500/Scotland_Apr10_030.JPG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts