Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,I had my first crash on the XR650R today.Took a turn up a very muddy track through a wood.Very deep mud with very deep ruts,tractors I guess.One wheel each side of a rut and feeling good,I opened the throttle,spun around in the opposite direction and I ended up on my back.Oh! what joy.I bet that's never happened to you............?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Similar thing happened to me in June, two ruts, one wheel in each, front wheel washed out at about 10mph, wearing all proper bike gear, hard plastic body armour broke two ribs on my right hand side, j thought body armour was supposed to protect you???????;)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Hi James,
Coming off your bike is never good or easy firstly, injuries do hurt even with body armour etc, so does the wallet even more & your ego/confidence/credibility can take a bashing too !
Hope all is well, I'm sure you'll be getting lots of top tips & advice from the rest of us.
Be safe, be good mate

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
First crash over, many more to come (hopefully, only low speed on trails). No matter how good you are you will always crash at some point whilst riding the trails.

Glad theres no damage to you.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Funnily enough I was in A&E Sunday afternoon, having come off the DR350 in a muddy lane in Surrey. Lack of concentration after a great morning's ride, was to blame. Rear wheel dropped into a rut in high sided track and as the bike went over I whacked against the solid mud side. Am hoping the ribs are just bruised and not broken (like the brake lever and guard). Handle bars are, I hope, just out of line rather than bent.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Well,I had my first crash on the XR650R today.Took a turn up a very muddy track through a wood.Very deep mud with very deep ruts,tractors I guess.One wheel each side of a rut and feeling good,I opened the throttle,spun around in the opposite direction and I ended up on my back.Oh! what joy.I bet that's never happened to you............?:rolleyes:
I can guarantee you i tdoesn't matter what the terrain or weather conditions are i've crashed on it at some point in time. When you feel th ebike starting to let go don't fight it just let go and that way you won't get injured.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Funnily enough I was in A&E Sunday afternoon, having come off the DR350 in a muddy lane in Surrey. Lack of concentration after a great morning's ride, was to blame. Rear wheel dropped into a rut in high sided track and as the bike went over I whacked against the solid mud side. Am hoping the ribs are just bruised and not broken (like the brake lever and guard). Handle bars are, I hope, just out of line rather than bent.
Get well soon Chris.

Ribs are buggers. I did mine before the National (August in fact) and they still give me a little trouble when sneezing etc..

It seems old age isn't a kind mistress

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your kind words and advise. Chris,get well soon mate! I know I am going to crash again.I spent many years rock climbing and never fell (even though I often climbed to the limit of my ability) and sometimes a little bit beyond.I never fell onto my rope and often feel cheated that I never had the experience of testing the protection I used on the way up.

Sometimes you have to go just beyond the line, if you want to know where the line is.One thing I do know though,and ignored.Don't go alone! I'm glad I fell,glad I was unhurt and glad there was no damage to my bike.I am also glad that I learned /confirmed something to myself..."Don't go alone!"

Is it too early to wish you all a "Very Happy Christmas" Hope Santa is kind and for all of you who believe,Alleluia!

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are riding on muddy and deep track and you are going first time in full speed on this route so that is possible.

but i am very glad your ok.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Those muddy ruts are a real pain. I did the Yamaha off-road thing in Wales a couple of months ago and had a good talk with Geraint about the best way to deal with them. In his younger years he was the British enduro champion many times over, so he knows his onions. The upshot is that you can't really beat a rut, unless you're riding a light and nimble little 2-stroke. On a light bike, and if you're good, you can jam your foot onto the high ground in the middle of the track and try and hop the back end out of the rut using the throttle and the knobbly bits on the edge of the back tyre but it's tricky. On a heavy bike you've little chance of success.

Geraint's advice was to speed up, sit all the way forward and use the edges of the rut for balance; the rut has to come to an end sometime and in the meantime you can make good progress. I tried this out and it actually works! Having said that, if you're on a big bike and end up with each wheel in a different rut you have no realistic choice but to stop and haul the bike out of one of them. C'est la vie.

The Yamaha experience was an amazing day, by the way. A massive workout too; six hours of enduro with an hour on a motocross track in the middle really smashes it out of you. I survived it all only to have my XR400 break down on the way back. They lent me a brand-new WR450 to get home on and I locked up the front wheel on the first bit of tarmac and stacked it down the lane on my back. Painful, but not as painful as the sound of somebody else's bike crashing and scraping down the road behind you!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nobody I know wears armour anymore. It never seems to help at low speeds, we still break wrists and ribs but way less stuff to wear.

---
I am here: Google Maps
So if I was to look at attempting some green laning im the future, would body armour be pointless as it would save some expense. Then again it might pay off having never done it before

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
So if I was to look at attempting some green laning im the future, would body armour be pointless as it would save some expense. Then again it might pay off having never done it before
I never used armour for greenlaning but i did for racing. Protection can never be pointless it depends on how comfortable you are offroad and how well you bounce. The zip up armour jackets to give protection against puncture wounds when you hit the deck and with just a jersey on top you are always hot enough but not as hot as wearing a big jacket you can get them from £60.

Moto-x style armour are pretty pointless as they only protect against stones flying of the backwheel of the bike infront of you

·
Registered
26 Posts
I never used armour for greenlaning but i did for racing. Protection can never be pointless it depends on how comfortable you are offroad and how well you bounce. The zip up armour jackets to give protection against puncture wounds when you hit the deck and with just a jersey on top you are always hot enough but not as hot as wearing a big jacket you can get them from £60.

Moto-x style armour are pretty pointless as they only protect against stones flying of the backwheel of the bike infront of you
Right. So for a clumsy first timer off road would you suggest just a jersey ?
The other thing is getting there, I like to have protection on the road too. I do have a textile and a leather jacket, not sure how good they'd be though.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Right. So for a clumsy first timer off road would you suggest just a jersey ?
I think you may have mis-understood me i would suggest zip up armour with a jersey over the top like this one i used to use

These the moto-x one offer little protection when you fall off

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think you may have mis-understood me i would suggest zip up armour with a jersey over the top like this one i used to use

These the moto-x one offer little protection when you fall off

Ahaa ! I assumed the armour was known as a 'jersey'. I see what you mean, and the jersey being the lightweight moto x style clothing, as is shown in your avatar pic. And this is available for £60 ?!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Ahaa ! I assumed the armour was known as a 'jersey'. I see what you mean, and the jersey being the lightweight moto x style clothing, as is shown in your avatar pic. And this is available for £60 ?!
Yes mate that type of armour is around £60 mine in the photo ( red & black one) was GPpro, you can double the price if you buy Sinisalo or Alpinestars but they are the same thing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts