Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I just share some impressions from the first longer trip done on my F800GS.

Quality: Do not like the plastic handlebar pods. I would prefere to have them in good old aluminium.

Finish: So far so good.

Sound: It sounds like... a Boxer! BMW have IMHO managed to create quite a good and throaty sound with the OEM silencer.
No real eminent need for a slip-on so far.

Others: Real cake to hive up on the main stand, I almost trowed it out back on the street again when using it for the first time inside my garage.
Side stand will need a bigger foot though, because it's rather small.

Lights are good, and the LED turn signals are bright.

Tires/tyres are Pirelli Scorpion Trail, and I have not tested them to the limit since they are brand new and I expect them to be a bit slippery in the begining.

Seat is comfy at least for the two hour ride I just made. But I will have to install som risers for the handlebar for those stand up rides.

I will also need to enlarge the brake pedal for my big feet. Same goes for the gearchange lever wich needs to be longer and with a bigger folding peg. I knew this from erlier tests so it came as no surprise.

Screen is the standard one, and it worked for me being 181 cm with short legs and a mile long torso. I use a Shoei Hornet DS and no strange buffeting at speeds I was riding (up to 110 km/h, it's under" running in" remember).

I can't flat foot her, but she's so nimble that it's not a problem, and I do not think I'll need the lower seat.

Driving: Nimble, quick in reaction, I had to stop trying to ride in the same manner as I did with my 1600 Yamaha, or else I would have ended up in a ditch.
The Yamaha I had to wrestle down and counter steer to get were I wanted, while the new one only needed me to look at were I wanted to be, and it took me there.

Thottle respone is quick! Again this is from comming from a bike that has a engine that weight more than the whole BMW (Not really, but it feels as if it does)
The Yam had the same cc for one of each pistons as the BMW have for the whole engine. I really like the throttle response from carburator engines, but I know I will get used to this one, just as I did with a Guzzi 1000 Daytona I used to own way back.

Suspension worked okey, a bit soft in the front though, perhaps there is something in the stories on the Interweb that they have a bit to soft front suspension. But the Öhlins front springs are not that expensive and are reported to help matters.

Gearbox: Again comming from previous machine, it was like a hot knife in butter. Good thing with the Gear indicator since I keept trying to shift into seventh a couple of times.

Am I a happy bunny? Yes so far I am. Still need to sort some details like gear lever and brake pedal. Get some decent crash protection and a luggage carrier.

A KTM 950/990 rider would I presume think otherwise ;)

I know I'm going to enjoy riding this bike (as long as it's not riddled with faults) because it will performe in a way that will suit my riding style and needs.

However it also tells me how good the Africa Twin really was and still is (I miss my RD03, Sob :().
I bet there will still be @ around long after the last F8GS taken it's final breath.

The above is only valid as my personal oppinions, and Yours will likely be totally different.

If I was used to driving XR650R's around in the Libyan dessert, KTM990 Adv's in the Iraq moutains or Ducati Optoquadrouple valvoes on the Nürburgring, then my oppinions would surley also be different.

Thanks for reading! /Kjell

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Excellent evaluation Kjell

Look forward to a later update

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Kjell

Nice ride, and I'm so glad you are enjoying it.

I must admit that I rode one of these abot 6-8 weeks ago, and was so confident I was going to like it (and buy it!) that I told the salesman that I probably didn't need a test ride... but I was wrong!

The bike I test rode had the HORRIBLE rallye seat, which I hated, and was shifting around trying to get comfy after 20 miles or so. Next, I found the bike had a rather odd feeling at the front; almost like the tyre was under inflated, and it felt like it was tucking or falling into corners. Everything else I loved, especially the Trophy livery.

It's interesting that you've mentioned about front end handling, so maybe there was something wrong with the bike I rode. The salesman and mechanic assured me that the tyres were correctly inflated.

Anyway, the nice chaps at Vines BMW have been on a few times since, asking me to pop in and try their newest demonstrator and give them another chance, so I might just do it, and will be keeping a close eye on your impressions of the bike.

Nice one! The best livery for the 800GS so far.

Regards

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bob, waith for the 2013 with ESA and Traction control!

It will only be a thad more expensive, but it will be the model everyone lusters for.

Yes the Rally seat is not to everyones likings as I understand it.

Just remember that this is BMW's budget adventure bike.

Wheel bearings are reported to be ****e, but luckily BMW uses standard dimensions, so a set of SKF bearings will be installed during off season later this year just as a precaution, an easy Install and forget solution.

Öhlins have a complete set of internals for the front end, but at a price.
They are not for me, to expensive, as I might just have bought a 1200GS/KTM990Adv/1200Ténéré from the start for that kind of money.

The F8GS have some issues to be adressed, but I'm aware of them and some needs to be fixed, and the others I can live with.

On paper the 2013 F800GS looks as if BMW taken action to fix some of the issues! Handlebar pods, main stand, better ABS, ESA, Traction control, e.t.c.

It could be wort waiting for, or a chance to lower the price on the remaining 2012 bikes (As I did).

BMW owners are gadget junkies (Not You Rubberchicken! :D) so the older models like mine will be lesser valued. :(
Just as the old R1200GS will be less in demand when the new watercooled model comes out.

Hear me now You R1200GS owners! Run for the hills! Quick! Sell your almost brand new R1200GS Adv before it's totally worthless! The market will overflow with secondhand non watercooled boxers soon! :D

And now over to something different!

Filmed from a Transalp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpOsaaOMTgk&feature=plcp

I'm up at the front with my Yamaha 1600, so You can understand why I like my BMW better, and have great hopes for this bike.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Good looking bike Kjell, good write up. Hope she gives you many happy miles:thumbleft:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
"This video contains content from EMI, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Might want to stick a different soundtrack on it. ;-)

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just gor these BMW Motorsport enameled metallic badges for my GS.
BMW introduced these badges or roundels around 1972 for their Motorsport Division cars.

They were so cheap so I actually got four of them.
Good to have som spare.
All I have to do now is to figure out how the present badges on the sidepanels come loose so I can exchange for these new ones

They may very well not be to everybodys taste, but I like them a lot.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Bling already Kjell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts