Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed the oil on my AT yesterday and what a lot of messing about! Up on the centre stand to get the crash bars off to get at the bashplate. Then onto the sidestand to drain the oil. Then back on the centre stand to fill her up and put everything back on.

And what a pain getting the bashplate and those crash bars back on is. Ended up contorting under the bike, balancing the bashplate on toes or knees whilst I tried to line up bolt holes. And what's with that bolt underneath? Into a blind hole and needs a good push to get over the centre stand to line up. Very difficult with only one set of hands.

Anyway has anyone got any tips on getting the flippin' bike on the centre stand? as I damned near ruptured myself doing it the two times I had to. I ended up with left foot on the stand pressing down with left hand on the left handlebar and right pulling on the Givi frame to lift the bike up. Bloody hard though so my technique must be crap. Last bike I had with a centre stand was a CX500 !!

Yours very achingly today :rolleyes:

John

·
Registered
694 Posts
I keep my RR crashbars on when changing the oil ;) and as for getting it onto the centre stand now ive lifted my bike so if i want the rear wheel off the ground to lube the chain i have to put a 2 inch block of wood under the feet on the centre stand hold the stand down on the blocks with my foot and pull on the crash bars with one hand and the other hand on the side of the rear rack ;) got it down to a fine art now :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Same as Packman.

I've got a big Hernia and I can tell you its no picnic getting the bike onto the centre stand when full with fuel. I put my right foot on the angle bit of the centre stand. Grab hold of the crash bars with left hand and passenger grab handle with right and then just give it a big heave with all body weight pulling on crash bar.

The bash plate comes off easier on the side stand as the bash plate can fowl on the centre stand. And yes the bolt underneath is a right mare.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Try rolling the rear wheel onto a block of wood first, about 2" thick. It's quite easy if you use a bit of momentum. Then roll the bike onto the stand, which is much easier as it's nearly at the right height already, then kick the wood out from under the tyre. With exactly the right sized bit of wood and a following wind (!) you can nearly do it one-handed. You might need to find which thickness suits the ride height on your bike. I'm a lazy short-arse and I can do it first time, most times: I nearly popped something trying it without the block.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Bad choice of crash bars if they mount on the bash plate mounts, not just because you have to take them off to remover the bash plate but because those bash plate mounts are not very strong. I have SW Motech bars which come with their won mounts. Rugged Roads have taken that further with their bars. If I need another set I'd get them.

Getting bike on centre stand? Ask my hernia doctor about that.:cool:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad choice of crash bars if they mount on the bash plate mounts
Well having given this more thought they do only use the two at the front of the engine so I could just take these two out and leave the bars in place. It's amazing how reflection can provide insight that was hidden during the white heat of battle (doing the job)

Getting bike on centre stand? Ask my hernia doctor about that.:cool:
Just glad to know it's not just me and I share my pain in common with others :toothy10:

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
All I can say is, if you found the AT oil change tricky, don't ever buy a KTM 950 Adventure! Just sayin' :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Changed the oil on my AT yesterday and what a lot of messing about! Up on the centre stand to get the crash bars off to get at the bashplate. Then onto the sidestand to drain the oil. Then back on the centre stand to fill her up and put everything back on.

And what a pain getting the bashplate and those crash bars back on is. Ended up contorting under the bike, balancing the bashplate on toes or knees whilst I tried to line up bolt holes. And what's with that bolt underneath? Into a blind hole and needs a good push to get over the centre stand to line up. Very difficult with only one set of hands.

Anyway has anyone got any tips on getting the flippin' bike on the centre stand? as I damned near ruptured myself doing it the two times I had to. I ended up with left foot on the stand pressing down with left hand on the left handlebar and right pulling on the Givi frame to lift the bike up. Bloody hard though so my technique must be crap. Last bike I had with a centre stand was a CX500 !!

Yours very achingly today :rolleyes:

John
Putting the bike on the centre stand will get easier with practice, yes its hard but at least you can grab the crash bars and grab the pillion foot rest bracket, heave and push down on centre stand:blob6: bingo! I too have Motec Bars so no need to undo them at all :thumb: as for the bash plate I use a trolly jack to position when refitting easy :toothy10:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The main problem with putting the @ on the stand seems to be that the handle is too low (if you don't have a pannier frame). You have to bend your back sideways slightly as well, which only makes it worse. Momentum and practice help, but it's still a big heave, and the lever on my stand isn't long enough to help much. The wood block takes most of the effort away, especially if your ride height is set low. And before all you beanpoles start mocking us short-arses, remember how much you bleat about wind turbulence off your screens.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts