Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the new (to me) TA out for its first outing today.

On the whole, I came back with a grin . Did an hour on the road though town then out into the countryside then 'accidentally' turned left over a mountain... ;)

There are some niggles I need to understand and maybe rectify...

few niggles:

- throttle response a bit 'dead' on small amount of throttle compared with other bikes I've ridden, feels like the engine is missing at low revs. I felt slow speed crusing was rough and I had to keep revs over 3k for smoother throttle delivery. Are they all like this? ..... I'm thinking it may be programmed like this so its not so vicious off road? or is this a trait of V-twins? (I've only had one previous Fi bike, CBR600 and that was very crisp throttle response from very low revs)

- Screen pretty crap! I cant believe how bad the wind blast is. I'm thinking of trying one of those £50 screen adapters off ebay? or a genuine honda touring screen? I hear Givi screen has bad buffeting?

- Cat ugly and reduces ground clearance- will decat and SS silencer void warranty?

Some ramblings....

top tips:

don't park downhill if you cant do a u-turn. the bike is a beast to man handle around.:error:

Don't try and manual the front end over ruts and mud.... oww my shoulders:(

Don't dabble scoobies, she ain't a sportsbike:rolleyes:

But on the plus side:

Handles well on the road, a small movement of shoulders and the bike dips from side to side like a jetfighter, well impressed.

suspension very plush on and off road.

anyway.... some pics.... (can you guess where it is?)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Mine likes to be kept above 3k. Think its normal. Takes a bit of getting used to but fine now I've done a few miles on it (not that I've ridden it for about 4 months!).

I find the screen ok but I don't really know any different as not had many bikes.

I just think it's a great all round bike for quick blasts, a bit off road or long trips.

Not too happy with some of the build quality but everything seems to be going that way.

John

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
- throttle response a bit 'dead' on small amount of throttle compared with other bikes I've ridden, feels like the engine is missing at low revs. I felt slow speed crusing was rough and I had to keep revs over 3k for smoother throttle delivery. Are they all like this? ..... I'm thinking it may be programmed like this so its not so vicious off road? or is this a trait of V-twins? (I've only had one previous Fi bike, CBR600 and that was very crisp throttle response from very low revs)

Ur just used to inline 4's...VTwins especially will always feel like this at low revs but I ride around 4-6k for commuting and 6-8 for sporty incidents..

- Screen pretty crap! I cant believe how bad the wind blast is. I'm thinking of trying one of those £50 screen adapters off ebay? or a genuine honda touring screen? I hear Givi screen has bad buffeting?

Bought a Honda screen from start, couldnt imagine it without, loan bike I get during service is without and the 10m dual carriageway stretch home is a pain. Limits off road use but I dont do any yet.

- Cat ugly and reduces ground clearance- will decat and SS silencer void warranty?

Yip - will void it, wait 2 years unless ur doing serious off road stuff. My dealer fitted the decat to see what dif it would make...loves it.

Some ramblings....

top tips:

don't park downhill if you cant do a u-turn. the bike is a beast to man handle around.:error:

Learn how to do a u-turn, how can you not on this bike, it turns so well and balances so easily - standard tyres with knobles do make it harder.

Don't try and manual the front end over ruts and mud.... oww my shoulders:(

Don't dabble scoobies, she ain't a sportsbike:rolleyes:

But on the plus side:

Handles well on the road, a small movement of shoulders and the bike dips from side to side like a jetfighter, well impressed.

My last bike was a VFR - loved the Alp the minute I got on her.

suspension very plush on and off road.

anyway.... some pics.... (can you guess where it is?)

Nice pics! No idea where.....not Cyprus is it?? lol

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
nice one and got it off road too..

mines an old carby 600.. no issue with the throttle as its not injection :joker:

no cat so no issues there

great pic enjoy :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
My 650 used to be lumpy at low revs but a Piper Cross air filter reduced that. V twins are lumpy compared to inline fours, Try a Harley.

D

·
0 Posts
Nice scenery you have there, mines in Parachute Regiment Red too, enjoy.:thumbup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
I fitted the Vario screen to mine. Big difference. Centre stand on mine limits ground clearance big time but its usefullness outweighs the crap clearance. :thumbup::cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts