Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a full day on Saturday in the Peak district with Dirty motorcycle tours in the Pennines, Cheshire and Derbyshire, great guidance and coaching, saw a lot more of the peaks than I'd seen before. Closest I've been to off road is riding the TA around a gravelled carpark.

I rode a yamaha 250 mostly and for parts a 400KTM, great day out:), want to do more and am going to the Pyrenness in October. KTM was much better.

Only downside was coming off down hill into Monsal Head, bike got away from me and I hit the dirt/rock, go some nicely bruised hands:( and shin, wont be undoing any tight jam jars for a week or so, middle finger also took a hit.

So don't like rocky downhills and dont like muddy rutted tracks (fall off there as well), was ok going up hill mostly.

Hard work out - we did about 85 miles in total (road and trails), but apart from the bruises I dont feel too bad today

So am now on look out for a KTM 400ecx. May px or trade in the TA, cant really justify 3 bikes.

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Great stuff - what a baptism you had. Monsel head is 'interesting' even when dry.
Hope you have become addicted to it :)
Have you thought of changing the configuration of the TA to make it more offroad? I have been over the peak district on the @ and it handled it far better than me :)

Did you get pictures?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry no photos, too busy hanging on and trying to remember what to do with on the different surfaces, uphill, downhill etc. Will take camera to Spain though - looking at one of those helmet mounted HD recorders which if I'd had yesteray would have taken a nice close up of the dirt as I hit it.

Can't see me modifying the TA, the KTM I rode felt good on the dirt and the road, so hence the consideration to chop in the TA (gotthe Guzzi for road only).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sounds like you're hooked mate.................i know i am:thumbright:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No you tell me!

I think I lost control of the bike when hitting something, this caused me to roll :clown::clown:back:clown::clown: on to the throttle which shot me forward and ultimately into the dirt. How do you avoid this, seems quite easy to do
Heres my right thumb, nice colour.:thumbright:
Left one is more painful but not as pretty:thumbleft:

IMG00221-20110815-2141.jpg

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I think I lost control of the bike when hitting something, this caused me to roll :clown::clown:back:clown::clown: on to the throttle which shot me forward and ultimately into the dirt. How do you avoid this, seems quite easy to do
Heres my right thumb, nice colour.:thumbright:
Left one is more painful but not as pretty:thumbleft:

View attachment 14500
What a pussy i did this without riding the bike:D:D:D

fgdfg 008.jpg
fgdfg 009.jpg

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'tis but a flesh wound :p

How did you do that?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
A vein and a load of blood vessels burst in the side of my finger a few months back and my finger swelled up a bit and it started leaving a swelling in the palm of my hand. Had it operated on last monday got over 30 stitches in it got to go hospital again on friday. No riding or competions for me for a few months now:mad::mad::mad: Found out at outpatients that it was a tumour that caused it all and 90% of the tumour was removed

·
2,701 Posts
No you tell me!

Just practice. ;)
Usually need to be on the peg's with your wieght as far back as possible when going downhill.
The Exc's are stiff on front fork damping so rock's knock the front about a bit, standard advice is a re-valve for trail riding.
My advise would be to go for an XR250 or TT250 for a season, they are much more forgiving and very capable.:thumb:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on my first off road experience.

Found a 2002 KTM400 for the right money.

Group of us went to Spain and spent the best part of a week on the trails over there. It was really dry (had been since June apparently).

Guess we did about 70-90 miles/day, mix of single track wider stoney trails.

Here are a few pics

Got to get the bike home and do some work on it, them maybe try the peak district

1 - 14 of 14 Posts