Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
after many years of "ill get round to it " its time to do a total rebuild of my RD07 engine . it has been in pieces for about a year and is now time to put it back together!!!
is there anyone in the Cambridge area who has done a total engine rebuild . i am OK with the spanners but have never done a total rebuild so just a little nervous to make a start .

if nothing else can you help with the motivation to get this done .

four years of ownership and only one ride is a total waste .

any encouragement would be very helpful and accepted.

regards
to you all

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will be in the same boat as you soon as my AT has over a 100K on it. I have rebuilt a number of Honda XR600 and 650 single cylinder engines and it really just takes patience, a good workshop manual, and a clean work area. I am sure you can do it, but I wish someone had a step-by-step website or thread here to show how they did it.

There is a guy who has done just such a thing on ADVrider for the XR engines. He is a master at this and decided to share his knowledge and expertise.

You might even want to look at his thread to pick up any pointers you might be able to find...

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/building-a-xr650l-engine.713831/

Good Luck!

·
Registered
755 Posts
any encouragement would be very helpful and accepted.
Once you've done yours, you can pop round and do mine ;)

Seriously tho, mine needs rebuilding so if you go with your rebuild be sure to keep us updated :thumbup:

Best of British with it mate :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Its critical that you have the honda shop manual. Other manuals won't be enough in my experience.

The good news is that is is fairly simple to build the engine.

The shop manual will tell you to put special lubricating pastes in a few areas (can't remember the name right now)...be sure to do that and to also use plenty of assembly lube (critical to have that stuff in there for the first minute of the engine turning over after your rebuild).

Take it slow and post questions when you have them. Loads of expertise here to help you at each step!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm on the second rebuild of an AT right now. Engine is about to come out, and get split open. I rebuilt the first one and rode it down the coast of Africa, leaving it in a crate in Mauritania ready for the next leg next year. Had so much fun rebuilding it, thought I'd do another - same year (2002) same model (RD07a). It's not that difficult a job. Just bag and tag each group of bolts, etc as you go. Follow the Haynes manual assiduously, and compare to the Honda Manual often. Have a chat with Jonathan on this forum, and he can help you with parts and has a good little pdf that helps breakout the parts which can help enormously. Make absolutely sure you undo the Clutch nut while the engine is in the bike and still attached to the chain - believe me when I say it is soooo much easier to do on the bike than off!

When you put everything back together on the engine, you should replace all bearings (including ones folk say don't bother with in my opinion), check big and little ends (although it's rare to see much wear on them), replace the piston rings (obviously check to see if you need a rebore, but likely you will just need new rings if you are blowing any smoke). If you are going all the way down (recommended), then replace the output shaft if there is any wear at all on it.

As you build it back up, make sure you use a torque wrench - you will need a little one for low torque values and a bigger one for the high torque values. Buy a cheap micrometer while you are at it to check everything else. Also check valve stems, and replace as needed (not hard), and obviously check for any valve wear. Check and replace cam chain tensioners if you need to (again, fairly rare from what I have seen), and double check all your gears are ok.

Personally, I use a small dab of loctite on every single bolt as it goes in. use a loctite that is meant for the environment it is going into - I don't remember the number I used offhand, but the one I chose could handle high heat ranges.

Then after the engine is all back together, crank it over slowly, making sure TDC on the timing chain is accurate, everything turns smoothly in neutral, then gradually work through the gears up ad back down. If everything is good and smooth, then put it back in, again loctiting bolts as you go. getting the engine in is a bugger - make sure you put it in sideways, then it is a case of tilt, lift and turn slowly - it WILL go, you just need to get it perfectly in position.

While the engine is out, clean and inspect the frame, get rid of rust, check welds and powder coat if you want to go that far, or simply use etch and spray to touch up.

That's the big items I learned on the last one I think. It's done 4000km now and was going strong right up until it was crated. Drop a line if you get really stuck, or aren't sure of a step, and I'd be happy to offer what advice I can - note I am not a mechanic, just an engineer...!

Oh, and I replaced the water pump with a facet, and the reg/rec with a mosfet - both are a peice of cake, as long as you do it properly with solder and heatshrink for a really nice water-tight finish.

Cheers,

James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts