Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is just for info really - yesterday I fitted a centrestand to my Transalp. The process was very straightforwards - except for fitting the spring. After some trial :confused: and error :blob6:the eventual method adopted was as follows:

1. attach the spring to a trolley-jack securely by hooking one end over the pivot pin under the top plate of the jack and securing the loop under the base of the jack by threading a steel rod that extends past the jack's sides through the loop.
2. open the spring using the leverage of the jack. There are actually two springs - one coiled clockwise and the other counter-clockwise so you can't slide coins or washers in as the spring opens.
3. when the spring unit is sufficiently stretched, slide metal "pins" (split pins/pop-rivets/nails etc) between the coils of the springs. Once every coil had at least one "pin" between it and its neighbour the spring should be long enough to fit between the bike and the stand.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That's a pretty neat technique. In the past, I've used an improvised T-handle and lots of bad language...

G

·
Aye, pretty cool:cool:
A steel bar, a length of stong cord and a big yuk is the Doggy method ............. swearing optional:D

Doggy

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
T'other day I went to drop the front wheel out to swap a tyre and found that the balance on the stand was crap and I had to put a big truck battery and a 1/2 full jerry can on the rear end to push the back wheel down as the fork base was heading for the floor as soon as I dropped the wheel!

Not impressed, I wish I could remember the make to warn you all... :(

I ended up slipping an axle stand under the bash plate for safety!

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
T'other day I went to drop the front wheel out ... and found that the balance on the stand was crap and I had to put a big truck battery and a 1/2 full jerry can on the rear end to push the back wheel down...
Another advantage of having a top box. The clutter that accumulates in it is handy ballast in these situations... :D

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Another advantage of having a top box. The clutter that accumulates in it is handy ballast in these situations... :D
As long as you remember to empty it before pushing off to avoid the always exciting, tankslappers that will probably appear before too long :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
hpsFitting a centrestand
this is just for info really - yesterday I fitted a centrestand to my Transalp. The process was very straightforwards - except for fitting the spring
I just used a long sturdy screwdriver to lever the springs on after picking up the tip from a previous thread here. Took a few attempts but only a couple of minutes... :thumbleft:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts