Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right - here goes!

A mate of mine kindly donated a chain oiler to me to put on my trusty steed!

It is one of the electrical Motrax ones and unfortunately had a few bits missing!

But using all of my cunning, guile and determination (and all of Jonno's tools, workshop and tutoring) i got it fitted and working!

so here is how to do it in case anyone else gets one from fleabay or 2nd hand!

firstly hook it up to the power to check that it works!

Then mount the Black tubey bit under the seat where it tilts downwards and will be held in place begin to secure the tube along a safe route to the back wheel securing to the frame with dirty great zipties!

Continue routing to taste, then get to end of swingarm and attach securely so that the end of the tube or whatever you are using as your final dispenser in in place and will not move randomly or foul anything or rotate and oil the road/your rear tyre/etc

Find something suitable to use to get the oil from the tube to the chain - here i used a piece of piping as comes with many spray lubes, warmed it, bent it and stretched the tube to pop it in! you will know best when you are doing it where it should end up and i'm sure a bit of post fitting tweaking will get it right!

Now for the tricky bit, find a wire coming out of the fuse box that only supplies power when the ignition is on - use someone elses fancy tool to locate one if you don't have one yourself! - strip a bit of the wire and attach the power feed to your oiler to this, then solder it together and wrap it in electrical tape to make sure it is secure and waterproof (also worth ziptying it on to make sure it cannot be pulled loose!) - then connect the negative to the negative battery terminal! and job's a good 'un!

i know that isn't the most detailed description or indeed probably very useful to most folks - but i enjoyed fitting the oiler and also doing this how-to!
Was good fun to have to improvise and find ways around problems!

right - now to get the flow rate right!!! :roll: :lol:

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been thinking today and want to mount the outlet pipe in the middle of the chain in front of the sprocket so it lubes the whole thing - to this end i need some thin metal pipe to be bent into shape!

i have sourced an old extendable ariel one of the layers of which is sure to fit!

this can then be bent to fit and mounted with more zippies - i will post a pic to let you all know how it looks/works!!

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the bit of metal piping/old ariel idea is a great one - puts the flow of oil just where i want it and looks nice and neat!

to bend it without kinking it push the smaller bits of ariel into the one that you are going to use and then gently bend it - the ones inside prevent it kinking - and if you cut it with a dremmel or similar it is all nice and neat!

·
Stone Crazy
5,307 Posts
wire it into your light circuit if you ride with lights on all the time thats what i have done on my RD400
merv

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good shout! :D

·
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Robster - i'm gonna leave it where it is, it is all attached and soldered into place and all of the wires tidied up and zippied neatly! - i didn't take a final photo as frankly i forgot but i will do and lob it on here!

have left it all in one place but will probably look to wires in the fairing when i wire in the lighter socket if i can find one with the right fuse etc!
I will consult the wiring diagram in the Haynes!

I love the wirnign diagrams - they make my eyes go funny and my head spin! :lol: - but they don't give me a hangover!!!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts