Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need to fit new Hel lines. Read a few reviews on here where people have had some problems fitting them, so wondered what is the easiest option to fit these?

If I reverse bleed do I fill one line up to the reservoir then move on to the other one...then what?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think I remember using a syringe to fill each line through the caliper bleed screw, then bled normally. Something like that. I definitely remember squirting brake fluid all over the place, so be careful! Well worth it though - huge improvement in braking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just be careful not to let your master cylinder get empty, concentrate on getting one caliper bled, or at least get get some feeling in the lever. It may take a little time!

Make sure you use new brake fluid only and don't get it on your paintwork, if you can get some hose to drain it to a jar it will be cleaner

Cheers

·
Registered
789 Posts
First up check that the supplied hoses are the correct length (Hel ones for my TA were quite a bit longer till they rectified the error)

Then I used a large catheter syringe and a short length of 4mm ID clear hose to draw down from each calipers' bleed nipples till only small bubbles / none appear then lock off the nipple with ring spanner. Pump up lever. Repeat bleeding each side again all the while ensuring the reservoir is kept topped up with fluid. 5 minute job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did it the opposite way and worked a treat - 100mm syringe on far line, slowly filling lines until reservoir was full, syphoned it empty and pushed a bit fore fluid in and repeated about 3 times. locked it up and did the same for the near line, only took about 20 minutes solo, although also fitted discs, callipers and HEL lines at the same time - was taken bt surprise by the 14mm banjo so popped into Halfords for on (£2.99), jobs a goodwin, passed retest, only had the rear brake light switch to change also (£2.48)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I agree big time. Reverse bleeding is MUCH easier and makes much more sense as air bubbles tend to go up rather than down.
Syringe up the fluid from the nipples, very slowly, until it reaches the reservoir. Take (with another small syringe) out the excess fluid from the reservoir and continue to syringe from the nipple until you see 0 bubbles appear on the reservoir.
By that time you should feel pressure on your brake.

·
Stone Crazy
5,310 Posts
R:E paintork and brake fluid , keep a watering can/bucket of water handy , if you get any on the bike rinse it off immediately, and wash it down well after , I:E throw a bucket of water or 3 over it so it get into the places just sponging it would not get

1 - 7 of 7 Posts