Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I bought a pressure washer from Tesco. At £26.00 it was too good to pass over. Anyway last weekend it packed up with a horrible noise. Now usually for £26.00 and six or seven years down the line chucking it out would seem obvious, but something told me otherwise. It's obviously Chineese but upon stripping it down it was actually quite nicely made. There is three magor parts, the motor, a strange pump with three plungers and the pressure head. When I seperated the pump a set of ball bearings fell out which belong to a thrust bearing. So what let it down? It was the worst roller cage (not actually worthy of the name) I had ever seen. It was a rough plastic moulding that had disintegrated. I have a bearing book so I matched up a new thrust bearing as close as I could and got one off evilbay. The new ball race secured in a metal cage fitted perfectly so for the sake of 15mins stripping, a new bearing for £2.00 and a rebuild with fresh oil and grease the £26.00 pressure washer sounds better and works better from when it was new!. Moral of the tale, try and fix it before you chuck it. This pressure washer is actually quite nicely made but let down by a silly cheap part. I'll have a think of what I can buy with the money I saved.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A few years ago I bought a pressure washer from Tesco. At £26.00 it was too good to pass over. Anyway last weekend it packed up with a horrible noise. Now usually for £26.00 and six or seven years down the line chucking it out would seem obvious, but something told me otherwise. It's obviously Chineese but upon stripping it down it was actually quite nicely made. There is three magor parts, the motor, a strange pump with three plungers and the pressure head. When I seperated the pump a set of ball bearings fell out which belong to a thrust bearing. So what let it down? It was the worst roller cage (not actually worthy of the name) I had ever seen. It was a rough plastic moulding that had disintegrated. I have a bearing book so I matched up a new thrust bearing as close as I could and got one off evilbay. The new ball race secured in a metal cage fitted perfectly so for the sake of 15mins stripping, a new bearing for £2.00 and a rebuild with fresh oil and grease the £26.00 pressure washer sounds better and works better from when it was new!. Moral of the tale, try and fix it before you chuck it. This pressure washer is actually quite nicely made but let down by a silly cheap part. I'll have a think of what I can buy with the money I saved.
Well done there young man.
Not only have you saved money but you have saved the planet as well.:thumbup:

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
Last week our washer decided to dump its load all over the floor....just enough over 5 yrs old to be out of its extended warranty :confused:, my first instinct was to start looking for a new one........on further investigation the hose from pump to drum was split.....had a root around in the garage and discovered that with minor modification a triumph tiger coolant hose and a length of copper pipe fit perfectly -----ish........5-6 washes on and 200-300 quid better off :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like most blokes of a certain age I salvage all I can before the eventual trip to the tip. Cut off leads, save plugs, strip things down and save the nice shiney screws and bolts and on it goes. It may be sad but this fastidious compulsion has saved me on many occassions. Here's a good tip. Save your coffe jars, screw the tops to the underside of a shelf and you have instant storage by simply screwing and unscrewing the jar into its top. Really handy for those small bits and bobs.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Where I used to work in the 1980's I had access to screws and nuts.
I still have hundreds of them in a jar.
When I was replacing the fairing and I needed to swap the front indicators over I found the original screws were like cheese and not much use, however the screws I have fitted the threads exactly and by using a nut as a spacer they are the right length. Someone did say that I should cut the screws down but the use of the nut allows for a spanner to be used if the screw head becomes mangled.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There you go! come on all you closseted cleptomaniacs and fixers you ideas are priceless. Here's another, the Vigor seat is not the most comfortable and for me 100 miles is about enough without a rest (perfect match to tank range). Did I buy a gel seat? nope. Did I buy an air seat? nope. What I did was to cut two circles the size of a dinner plate out of an old camping roll and stuck them together, you know the thing you sleep on. I simply push them down my JTS pants to sit on, sore butt solved. When I stop the comfort pad goes into the top box (if fitted) or I just stow it away in a bag etc.

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
Did I buy an air seat? nope. What I did was to cut two circles the size of a dinner plate out of an old camping roll and stuck them together, you know the thing you sleep on. I simply push them down my JTS pants to sit on, sore butt solved.
Nice simple solution twistgrip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts