Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well took it to the MOT yesterday and all was fine started with its usual gusto and again this morning started fine.

Stopped at the shop 14 miles later come out and nothing :( well i say nothing just a click of the starter so i had to bump start it and with 950 mm seat height it was interesting ....

The MOT man couldn't get on it so i had to do the honers he did comment it was the strongest single disc bike he has tested thou :D

So what should i test 1st ? will check if its charging 13.8 v upwards then what next ?

:thumbup:

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'd say Regulator / Rectifier checks mate - a quick visual of the block where the yellow wires from the Stator meet the wires from the Reg/Rec should show you if they're getting a bit burned, or if they're OK.

I have to dash for the minute, but I'll try to post a couple of links to what you should be getting on a meter when I'm back...

Edit, OK - I'm back in the room... ;)

This thread, and GSPD750's post with embedded vid in particular, was very helpful when my Reg /Rec was shot. (It also killed my less-than-a-year-old Motobatt, but ah well - shit happens!). Gave me the right pointers when I was fitting the new kit. Not saying yours is the Reg /Rec, if you're lucky then just a dodgy battery, I can't recommend Motobatt highly enough if that's the case mate - I'm on my 2nd one now :)

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/111978-regulator-battery-charging-problems.html#post918114

HTH

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Do all the said checks and if it all looks ok and its charging ok it will probably be a duff battery I had to change mine earlier this year in very similar circumstances.
I hadn't used the bike for a while and had an MOT booked so charged the battery a few days before fired it up took it for the MOT no problem with the bike, when i got home I parked up to go in the house came back out 20 minutes later pressed the starter and nothing other than a clicking solenoid changed the battery and its been fine since. I've got a voltage indicator fitted to mine so i new it was charging ok when i took it for the MOT

Edit
Forgot to say try starting the bike with jumper leads off another battery just to rule out a dodgy solenoid

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well got a jump from a chap at work and managed to get it home only for it to die going down the hill :D

On idle im getting 12.5 volts and not much more when u rev it ... the finned regulator on the side is bordering on the hot side after 2 mins of running .... ive checked the wire and plugs and there still ok and full of grease from when i done the bike 2 years 16000 miles ago ...

Battery has taken a full charge as well ...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You're not getting enough voltage. That should be running at nearly 14.5v at 3,000rpm with lights off. Looks like the reg/rec. Is it an original one?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the battery tested this morning after a full charge over the last 18 odd hrs all good there.

Its the original regular on the side ....

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
that reminds me I should really buy a spare second hand regulator myself better to be looking at one than for one if my own should give up the ghost . no down time just plug in and ride on :thumbright:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts