Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 600 (1987) developed a flat spot this afterrnoon, around 4,500 revs she bogs down momentarily before picking up again.
It feels like fuel starvation, except that she'll then shoot round to the red line with no problem.
So, given that 90% of carburetor problems turn out to be electrical faults,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Any ideas where I should be looking first?
Could this be a first symtom of a CDI unit failing, or do they just die completely?
Coil braking down maybe ?
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
in my experience of multiple CDI failures they can behave very strangely. they can very intermittent, affected by damp, temperature, vibration etc.

try swapping the CDIs over and seeing if the rev-counter is affected at all, one of the CDIs drives the rev counter, but again, I have known CDI failures that do not affect the rev counter

the only sure fire way to diagnose it is to replace at least one CDI and see what happens

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply,
I replaced one CDI when I bought the bike 5 years ago, but that one was definitely dead, no intermitent faffing about, just one dead cylinder.
Having checked this afternoon, the tacho was being driven by the new CDI, so I've swapped the leads over, hoping that if the other "old" CDI is breaking down the tacho may give me some indication.
But,,,,,,,,,, just been out for a quick run and of course, she's running as sweetly as ever.
So either I've disturbed a dodgy connection (unlikely I think), or it's a problem that only shows up according to time / temperature. She started playing up yesterday afternoon, 150km into a day out, so until I have the time to take her for a decent run I guess it's an LID. (Let It Develop).
Seems like I can rule out a fueling problen though,,,,,,,,,,,,?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
i've had similar faults, swapping the CDI "cures" the probably, then it comes back after a few months, or when it rains, or when its damp.

remember a faulty CDI is just a very small broken connection on a circuit board, so it can come and go according to all sorts of things

i doubt its a fuel problem, it could be a plug breaking down, or a plug lead, or a coil. but my money is on CDI

cdi2a.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts