Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Try everything once!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am looking for a new helmet for this year and am mesmorised by the choice,
I have both a flip front and a full face Nitro and cant decide what to go for the next time.

Also looking at a comms system so the missus can tell me when she needs to stop :D and tell me when I have turned the wrong way! But again not sure what is the best system or the most popular and of course easy to use.

So, I wouldnt mind a little input on what everyone thinks is the best/most comfortable helmet open face or not
And what sort of intercom system people seem to prefer. I wouldnt mind one that can connect to the sat nav though.

Any input would be great and would give me something else to look at while in the middle of the sea. Instead of the sea that is...

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Try the different helmets until you find one that feels right.
As for intercom Get either the Autocom or Starcom systems they come in various versions.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
For the best in terms of noise reduction you would be looking at a Schuberth

Couple this with Autocomm - separate volume controls for rider and passenger, wind noise monitor so it automatically adjusts the sound as you speed up, can take radio, satnav, mobile, bluetooth and will link up with other products such as Ultimate Ear monitors etc

Hard wiring of the units to the bike is the best way to go as is wired headsets so long as you don't mind plugging in a lead

I have a Zumo that runs my MP3 music files. This is wired to the bike unit for optimum music transfer. Phone is bluetoothed to the Zumo and Satnav and bluetoothed to the bike unit. This way there is no interference. Then wired leads to helmets ensure the best sound transfer

Music is reduced in volume when talking or a satnav command or phone call happens(completely silences the music on phone call), then automatically increased when finished

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have a nolan N103 and an autocom.... mightily impressed with the rider to pillion intercom and phone answering capability(at lower speeds) but havn't really used the radio part enough to comment on it's performance good or bad...and i've always used satnav as visual only.. cant be done with the voice in me ear (i have enough of that off our lass:D)

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Shark do an absolutly brill flip front crash hat ,I have not tried it as I brought my Caberg justimo before I saw the shark one .
Dont buy the Caberg,it's very very noisey you wont believe how noisey it is.

·
Stop looking at my Member
265 Posts
depending on your helmet size Schuberth has just released their built in system for the C3 but it is pricey 300 quid.

why I say depending on the size, if you wear a 58/59 like I do then there will be no room left in the helmet for your head ! i had to return my Intercom as a result :(

It replaces the neck roll of the helmet and the new piece contains the controls and the batteries so is very compact and well made.

C

·
0 Posts
I had a Caberg Justissimo and the noise was unreal even with plugs in, I just threw in a bin in the end.
I was looking at a Shark in a shop today which looked very nice but I don't know anything about them. There was also a brand I've never even heared of before, Davoni or something, which had bluetooth and a mike already built in.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
them shark helmets have really thick visors on them.

i once watched z-weiser head butt a bird with his and it was like a georgie best header at 50 mph:D.

the visor was fine after i think...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'v had a caberg Justisimo for a few years, Very comfy (for my head shape)

But like the other guys have said VERY VERY NOISY!!!!

I bought an AVG flip front to replace the Caberg for the first Longest Day, Much quieter, but not such a comfy fit, not enough space around the ears for me with an intercom fitted.

Then tried an arashi flip front with built in bluetooth, plenty of room for the speakers but overall the shape was wrong and put pressure on my forhead on long journeys (and the bluetooth was mono not stereo)

Trying the AVG again this TLD but with a different headset in it (a BT Interphone from china, £80 for 2 stereo units with 500m intercom and bluetooth for phone and sat nav at the same time) also the speakers are slightly more slimline so the fit might be better.

The best helmet I ever had was an FM helmet (tazmanian devil decals) It was very quiet, the most comfy helmet I'v ever worn (I could sleep in it in perfect comfort if required I'm sure!) and had plenty of room around the ears for headphones/speakers. If I could find another I'd buy it in a heartbeat, for me it was the perfect lid.
I only don't wear it now as 1 minor scrape and 1 heavy headfirst landing on tarmac has made me doubt it's reliability. I still have it though. wouldn't part with it.

The best advice I can give is don't be afraid to buy a few until you find one that fits perfectly.
If you can find a shop that'll let you test ride a shoei or such like then let me know I'll wander over and try a few out, I'v never spent more than £200 on a lid (most of them being around £100) But the FM (for me and my head shape) was perfect and had a similar safety rating to most others, and saved me a real bad headache on the last occasion.

Probably no help I know, But I'v bought 6 helmets in 8 years, if I could get another FM 'TAZ' helmet then I could have not bought the last 3.

Cheers,
Axe
(yes I'v been drinking again, but I'm poorly so it's medicinal)

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I had a flirtation with flip front Helmets but found I could not put up with the noise I now just use proper full face helmets, I have a Shoei and a Bell, both are quite and comfortable.

·
Try everything once!
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input and information, I now have quite a list to have a look at and to try when I get back home from Norway.

I have had a look around at the comms too and at the moment it looks like Scala or autocom, guess I need to actually go and get my arse in to gear once Im home.

I see the weather is great in the UK this weekend, hope you all manage to get out. Foggy and cold here but par for the course for this part of the world..

Thanks again everyone your input is very much appreciated :happy6:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts