Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on the use of flushing oil in bike with wet clutches & integrated gearboxes at oil change time?

I have previously used flushing oil in car engines, but wonder if it is suitable for use in bikes, particulary with respect to potential clutch plate contamination, gearbox internals etc.

Or is it better just to change the oil more regularly?

Any one have any thoughts or experience with this?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Years ago flushing was the done thing but today oils are so good I'm sure it's not neccessary. To the point that the modern thoughts are that you can drain it cold because if it's doing its job correctly all the particulate will be in suspension. Now I'm not convinced on that one but for me flushing is a thing of the past.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I would only flush if the engine had been apart for a rebuild or something similar. Otherwise just change the oil as normal.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Years ago flushing was the done thing but today oils are so good I'm sure it's not neccessary. To the point that the modern thoughts are that you can drain it cold because if it's doing its job correctly all the particulate will be in suspension. Now I'm not convinced on that one but for me flushing is a thing of the past.
Spot on IMHO. :thumbright:
As long as the engine has been serviced at the correct milage, there should not be any sludge to flush out in a modern engine.
(If an Africa Twin engine is to be considered as modern, is another question) :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts