Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a FMX 650 which is pretty slow as std. i have a set of arrow cans on my wish list and i have ordered a ABP header and mikuni flatslide card and pump from germany.
Does anyone know of any "quick tunes" to get it going a bit before they come??
any help is appreciated.
cheers and happy riding

M

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
You could get different sprockets...

Bigger rear gives faster acceleration / more wheelies, tradeoff is less top speed.

Open cans and headers and a well-jetted flatslide carb is the proper way to do things though, keep us posted on how that works out ok? ;-)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh i was going to go up 2 on the rear but i want the top end too as i take it to the IOM for wheelies etc but i still need the top speed for a good blast (about 110) as it is dangerous if you potter over the mountain,,,,, anyway,,,,,
i have some arrows on order now too as i have found a new set for 300 quid.
i am looking to get a NX cam as i have been told that they are far more tuned than a FMX cam, might even get my cam re-ground,,, i await my mods,,,
cheers again

Mat
:D :D :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GOT MY FULL ARROW SYSTEM,

excelent, it has really changed the bike. the weight difference is very noticable and the power is also increased. it will easilly pop the front wheel up no worries in 1st and 2nd and there is enough power to keep it up whereas there was not enought prior to the exhaust swap.
my carb kit is in the post but i cant find a set of cams so i will get my std ones re-ground at kent cams.
i am getting there, more power required !!:cool: :D :D :D

M

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Full system was 300 nikka off eBay but is as new. i can get new cans for 300 + 70 ish for headers.
i REALLY recomend getting the full system as the diference is well worth the cost.!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Full system was 300 nikka off eBay but is as new. i can get new cans for 300 + 70 ish for headers.
i REALLY recomend getting the full system as the diference is well worth the cost.!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Did you add a K&N filter or dynojet kit? or did you just fit the full system leaving the fueling as standard?
i am looking at the full system after i have run it in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi,

No i just have had to run it on half choke as i found it pulled better that way. ABP racing in germany do a Mikuni flat slide carb for it and i will be fitting it in the next few weeks so i will keep you all posted.

cheers

Mat

·
Registered
395 Posts
try as i might i cannot find the full system for less than £570 ish.:mad:

could you point me in the right direction for the £370 you say you found them for;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
try as i might i cannot find the full system for less than £570 ish.:mad:

could you point me in the right direction for the £370 you say you found them for;)
NOOOO problem, here are the links.

http://supermoto-umbauten.de/109/Krümmer.html

(power header) this is the ABP web site, you can also get a Mikuni carb kit from them which comes with a fuel pump for 269 Euro
the same company do the Arrow cans for 370 ish (they have gone up since i last looked 10 months ago)

here is the ebay link for the header,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ABP-Racing-Leistungskruemmer-Honda-FMX-650_W0QQitemZ260110634895QQihZ016QQcategoryZ49773QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

check out the following link too, it shows dyno sheets up to 53.2bhp for a FMX with the headers, carb, cam and a little head work.(total about £1K but worh it imo

http://supermoto-umbauten.de/325/Presseumbauten/FMX_650.html

hope this helps

:thumbleft:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE

Hello all again

I have been quite busy with my FMX over the past few nights. I have removed the smog filter and pump, the moisture filter and the carbon filter from the motor. This gets rid of loads of crappy pipe work and plastic bits and makes the motor far more tidy.
I have made some mods to the carb too. I have drilled out the air holes on the bottom of the slide on the diaphragm open to 4mm and I have replaced the main jet with a 220 from a 168 !!! I also lifted the needle by 1mm (with a tiny 1mm thick washer)
I have been testing quite a few different size main jets from 180 to the present 220 but it is still running a bit lean so I will be sticking in a 240 this weekend as I am off to the TT on it.
I have a 240 and 250 main so I will try the 240, do a plug chop and if needbe I will stick in the 250.
The crank breather now goes into fresh air and not into the airbox and the whole transformation is very good.
The power now I far smoother and far more grunty. The wheel easily comes up, RIGHT UP in 1st and 2nd just on power alone and it can easily be lifted in 3rd with a bit of clutching !

More updates when I get back !!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi just read your thread about the jetting for the FMX650 I have just fitted a Arrow full system and K&N, In the Dynojet kit the largest jet in a 165 ? you are reccomending a 220 ?

·
"call me lucky"
728 Posts
Hi just read your thread about the jetting for the FMX650 I have just fitted a Arrow full system and K&N, In the Dynojet kit the largest jet in a 165 ? you are reccomending a 220 ?
the dynojet kit also changes the needle aswell as the main jet. i had the dynojet kit fitted about 2 weeks ago and could not believe the difference. not only is it more responsive (smoother and more midrange) but i am getting better fuel consumption.:blob4:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info, just ordered to dynojet kit, so looking forward to getting it fitted and set up, has anyone fitted better tyres to the bike as the dragons on the front feel a little unsettled when pushing hard into the corners ?:eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried a 170-180-190-200-210-220. i have a 240 in now but it is running a little rich so i will be sticking the 220 back in.
try it, its not as if your taking a risk, it will only run rich, if it runns lean thats when you will have big problems.

have you all done a plug chop with the 165 in or are you judging it on your right hand????

·
"call me lucky"
728 Posts
Thanks for the info, just ordered to dynojet kit, so looking forward to getting it fitted and set up, has anyone fitted better tyres to the bike as the dragons on the front feel a little unsettled when pushing hard into the corners ?:eek:
i now have pirrelli diablos on . super sticky but you will only get around 1800 miles out of your rear. if your not planing on doing to many miles these are what i would recomend:thumb: the other thing i would recomend is to wind your rear shock up about half an inch to start with, see how it feels and go on from there.:D :D :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
i now have pirrelli diablos on . super sticky but you will only get around 1800 miles out of your rear. if your not planing on doing to many miles these are what i would recomend:thumb: the other thing i would recomend is to wind your rear shock up about half an inch to start with, see how it feels and go on from there.:D :D :D
I only managed 2000 from the original rear tyre:D

When i fitted the 45 Tooth rear sprocket it pulled the back wheel forward about 20-30mm, it did wonders for the slightly slow steering:D

Now i have the original sprocket on, I find myself running wide in the bends....must practice more;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
UPDATE

Hello all again

I have been quite busy with my FMX over the past few nights. I have removed the smog filter and pump, the moisture filter and the carbon filter from the motor. This gets rid of loads of crappy pipe work and plastic bits and makes the motor far more tidy.
I have made some mods to the carb too. I have drilled out the air holes on the bottom of the slide on the diaphragm open to 4mm and I have replaced the main jet with a 220 from a 168 !!! I also lifted the needle by 1mm (with a tiny 1mm thick washer)
I have been testing quite a few different size main jets from 180 to the present 220 but it is still running a bit lean so I will be sticking in a 240 this weekend as I am off to the TT on it.
I have a 240 and 250 main so I will try the 240, do a plug chop and if needbe I will stick in the 250.
The crank breather now goes into fresh air and not into the airbox and the whole transformation is very good.
The power now I far smoother and far more grunty. The wheel easily comes up, RIGHT UP in 1st and 2nd just on power alone and it can easily be lifted in 3rd with a bit of clutching !

More updates when I get back !!
HI MATE
I HAVE JUST JOINED ORG YESTERDAY.
I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A HONDA FMX650 - 07
I WOULD APPRECIATE AND TIPS ON TUNING.
AT THIS STAGE I HAVE JUSTE REPLACED REAR SILENCERS WITH REMUS SILENCERS WHICH HAS IMPROVED PREFORMANCE SLIGHTLY.
REGARDS
NEIL

1 - 20 of 451 Posts