·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
HI MATE
I HAVE JUST JOINED ORG YESTERDAY.
I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A HONDA FMX650 - 07
I WOULD APPRECIATE AND TIPS ON TUNING.
AT THIS STAGE I HAVE JUSTE REPLACED REAR SILENCERS WITH REMUS SILENCERS WHICH HAS IMPROVED PREFORMANCE SLIGHTLY.
REGARDS
NEIL

Hi follow these links. the carb mods make most difference after the exhaust and headers. i wouldnt bother with a dyno jet kit as you can pick up a 2nd hand pumper for the same price but they are a bugger to setup. i wouldnt buy a K&N too, just rip off the mesh on the rear of the oem air filter and cut a big hole in the side of the access cover on the airbox (on the unfiltered side of course!!). just do these mods and you will be happy with the power increase.
as the previous post, the next step is reprofiling the cam, kent cams do this for about £70. then you can get head work done, skimmed, inlets straightened etc etc,,,,

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16361

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xrlsmog/

these are for a XR650, BUT ITS THE SAME ENGINE

enjoy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I need some new tyres and was wondering if anyone had tried a 180 on the back as i have 5 of my old race tyres in my garage ?????????

any info let us know,, cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there just bought 650 brand new got few probs bad starting when cold sumtimes + rear spokes rusting going bac to dealers monday 4 first service + faults is it a common problem ?? thanks rob

·
"call me lucky"
728 Posts
hi there just bought 650 brand new got few probs bad starting when cold sumtimes + rear spokes rusting going bac to dealers monday 4 first service + faults is it a common problem ?? thanks rob
hi rob
i need about half choke to get mine fired up in the morning and my back spokes look sh#t. spokes should be covered by the warantee (spell check) as for the starting i cant say because mine has been dynojeted:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
My local dynojet dealer says he cannot get hold of the fmx kit, at 1st he told me they didnt do one yet, until i gave him the part number.
So what exactly do i get for my £60 dynojet kit, that a £6 jet and a different needle wouldnt do the same job.

·
"call me lucky"
728 Posts
My local dynojet dealer says he cannot get hold of the fmx kit, at 1st he told me they didnt do one yet, until i gave him the part number.
So what exactly do i get for my £60 dynojet kit, that a £6 jet and a different needle wouldnt do the same job.
in the kit i had there were a choice of 4 jets a new needle and a different spring. i get better performance and better fuel range wich with an 11 litre tank is a godsend:D

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
That's essentially it, yeah. I think 60 quid is better spent taking the bike to a tuner with a rolling road for bikes (such as a dynostar), they usually have a selection of jets available and generally know what to tweak to get an engine to run well. 60 quid should buy you a couple of runs, which should put you well underway towards a bike that's properly set up.

And you get a pretty graph as well. ;-)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
title=Re: FMX 650 Tuning

A dyno run will set-up your mixture i agree but it is quicker to get it out ya garage blast up your road and do a plug chop (as long as you do it right). this is free and it easy to do.
the DynoJet jets are much smaller than the ones i use as they are for a std carb and std airbox with a K&N in. my carb and airbox has been modded therefore it needs a much bigger main jet.
at the end of the day if it is running good, its not too lean or rich (plug chop) it will generally be fine, it not exactly going on a track is it, it for the road !!

< D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont understand the term that keeps being used (plug chop). Is at simular to pork/lamb. :tongue1: Only joking about the meat! What is a plug chop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I dont understand the term that keeps being used (plug chop). Is at simular to pork/lamb. :tongue1: Only joking about the meat! What is a plug chop.
a plug chop is a method of checking how the mixture is running either lean or rich or just right. do a serch on google and there will be loads of pages on the method.
go to the likns above on the 4strokes site and there is info on there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Using a K&N air filter in conjunction with a Dynajet kit will give much quiker throttle response and a few extra bhp's at the rear wheel for a very small cost.:p :p :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Mike
Ref Dynakit For Fmx650 Is There Much Involved In Fitting As I Have Never Fitted A Kit Before.
Could You Poss Give Me The Kit Details And Supplier.
Regards
Neil

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

HERE YOU GO - GET IT DONE PROPPER

Tuning Techniques

Clearly space precludes and exhaustive treatise. But to summarize, the only thing that a tuner is testing is the mixture strength. One can do this by the "plug cut" method (checking colour of the spark plug electrode), or analysing exhaust-gas. Use of an O2 sensor plugged into the exhaust system will certainly help the tuner (K&N make a good system), the best technique has always been the plug cut, conducted either on a dyno, or correctly on the road.

Plug-cut technique
Generally quite simple once a suitable time and place are chosen. Ensure that the correct plugs are being used, and are clean (i.e. new, or near new), with a white insulator.

Hold the RPM at the necessary level in as high a gear as possible for 10 or so seconds Then, simultaneously, foot off the gas, disengage clutch, ignition off.
Inspect the plug(s), usually one plug for each of the carburettors.
If the plugs are sooty black, then the mixture is too rich. If the colour is that of milk chocolate, it is a little to lean. If the colour of dark chocolate, then a little too rich. A good reading will have the insulator showing almost white, with just a suspicion of grey, and a plug body on the dark side, just enough to mark a piece of white paper with soot. Further interpretation of plug colour can be found elsewhere on the web, but the colour to avoid is an even battleship grey on the whole plug, electrode, insulator and body - a sure sign of detonation or pre-ignition (ignition too advanced).

not my words but its correct.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hello again all FMX riders.

I have been getting quite a few questions regarding my main jet size, a 240. everyone who have contacted me have asked why i am using such a large main jet and it it simply because i have tried jets from 165 to 250 and it gives the most power and best response.
Has anyone else found that this jet size 240 works best with them????

My FMX is a 2006 with full Arrow exhaust, fulley modded carb as per previous posts, removed smog filter, removed carbon filter, modded airbox with 5" cutout on outside to aid airflow,,,,,,,,,,,,

anyone?

21 - 40 of 451 Posts