Honda XRV Forum banner

441 - 451 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
In the removable lid of the airbox there is a rectangular hole. In the hole is a rubber moulded bifuricated "snorkel", pull it out, refit the lid.
BTW it can actually be wrangled out from above if you remove the seat, no need to take the airbox lid off.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just for information, can one of you FMX owners please confirm whether or not the stock FMX carb has the slide lifter mechanism? It's the little spring loaded arm with a roller on the end that runs on the edge of the pulley to which the throttle cables attach. I was looking at one on Ebay.de the other day and it looked for all the world like it's not there. If it isn't that'll be another reason the FMX makes less power than the earlier models and maybe the reason why more carb mods are required to uncork them.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hmm, Fowler's have the same diagram with the lifter absent. What's going on?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anybody got a barracooda (spelling) desgin rear hugger?
Looks like it would stop alot of crap going onto the shock
I’ve not seen one come up for sale for years. I bought one for mine in the carbon look about 6yr ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi guys!
I have read all this thread, it took me 2 days to do that :D
Maybe I'm a bit too late, because most of you bought this fmx bike way back when it was new, and I got mine 06 model this summer in 2019.
So far I haven't done any mods, except had to clean carb few times, because pilot jet was clogged. I think there may be some crap in fuel tank that came into carb. Of course changed oil and a new set of tyres TKC80.

I have ordered Dominator (a brand name) exhaust cans from Poland, because Arrow and other are pricey as fuk. (https://dominator.pl/pl/c/FMX-650/751)
I have also ordered Stage 2 DynoJet kit. I did it before reading this thread, where you say that dynojet is not really necessary. But anyway, as I have it ordered, I will try it and see what it does.

So far so good, I will post updates when I install exhausts and dynojet. I modify the airbox at first, but not sure if I need KN filter, or will I leave it with stock.

I have a question too.
My bike is fron UK originally, and it's 06, so it's rusty in some places. Exhaust manifold screws are really rusted which makes me a little scared to touch them, I don't want to break them. Do you have any advice what I could do with them, because I'm thinking that in future I will want to install custom manifold too. Should I try to unscrew those, or try to take the bike to some mechanic and let them be responsible for unscrewing those? Nothing else comse to my head.

Regards,
Duonas

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have had a tdr 125 rear hugger on my daily ride nx650 for a few years now.
Surprisingly easy to fit
It protects my Wilbers shock absorber

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi again!
I have received my Dominator exhaust cans, and fitted them. The sound was quite loud, but didn't really notice any power increase. I was now possible to hear backfiring when drop the throttle.
Now I received my Dynojet kit. Removed snorkle from airbox, installed dynojet needle and slider spring. Instruction says to use needle e-clip in 2nd from top slot, but I just inserted it into 3rd without trying 2nd before. It seems like the bike got more pull from this. I had learned how to make throttle wheelie with completely standard bike, but now it seemed that it was easier to wheelie, and it had somewhat longer RPM range to keep the wheelie going. No throttle wheelie in 2nd gear however. Someone on this thread said that tuned FMX pulls wheelie in 1st and 2nd, and even clutch wheelie in 3rd, but not in my case. Later I took out the carb and drilled one additional hole in slider bottom. Didn't adjust the needle. It seemed now that pull has improved more. Probably this additional hole really allows for quicker throttle response. It was nice to do wheelies - the bike is not like super aggressive - it doesn't feel like it will drop me or flip, but it can pull the front wheel in 1st gear from low RPMs pretty easily. In higher RPMs still not so much. (I'm still learning to do them, this is my first bike that can do a wheelie from it's own power and without clutching.)
After installing the dynojet kit I guess the exhaust noise has become somewhat stronger/deeper. And when you drop throttle, it shoots fire from exhausts most times - thats a nice satisfaction.

P.S. The dynojet kit was Stage 2 and came with 150, 155 and 160 jets. I was thinking like wtf, the original jet is 168. Why max dynojet would be 160? So I left it with the original 168 jet.

Now, when I get a chance, I will try to measure fuel mixture and adjust it if needed. Although I believe that it is not too lean, I want to make sure that it's good for the engine.
Later I would like to get custom exhaust headers. Someone here mentioned that headers alone awakened the bike, so I assume they might be restricting it still.
Further I would like to get a hotcam. I'm not sure if I really need it and whether I'll really be getting it, but that's what I'm thinking now.

441 - 451 of 451 Posts